EBSCO

F. Dixon Brooke Jr.

INCREDIBLE COMPANY

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at EBSCO full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits and salary are great!

ConsCorporate micro management of sales force.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people work their own system

Wonderful people, good environment

Software Quality Assurance II (Current Employee)

I have been working at EBSCO full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company culture is largely welcoming and supportive of a work-life balance. EBSCO is also a company that is very 'green' and even the headquarters building seems almost organic, blending into the mountaintop in a way that is not intrusive. There are recycling options everywhere, with encouragement to bring in items to recycle. The benefits are good, not great, and the team atmosphere is very positive and strong. The salaries are also good, not great, but much of the culture offset that, particularly the team leads, who were and are excellent. Cross training is encouraged across teams, and in house training was becoming more available prior to the time I left.

ConsThe department I worked in was going through some growing pains and changes. At that time, one of the senior managers, no longer there, set an abrasive and uncertain tone, setting off concerns of a layoff. Ironically, this led to many people, including me, taking other opportunities, and shortly after all of us had gone, he left as well. (Had I but known.) If not for that and the lure of a higher salary, I would not have left. My immediate manager and his manager were generally supportive of staff, although there were a few issues of miscommunication. I also felt that once I gave notice, I was persona non grata; frankly, if anyone had tried or expressed the desire, I might have been convinced to stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aware of what is happening in the department; I really do think that without the particular upper manager's 'threat' of potential company instability, many of us who left would still be there. I like to think that most of us were an asset, and would have remained. I know that I would have.

RUN ... away from this company!

I have been working at EBSCO full-time

ProsGood medical insurance, Paid holidays

ConsNever got an evaluation. Claims pay is based on merit but its not. NO training. Your job may be given to someone else and you are not even told, just find out through an email... Turnover rate is unbelievable. Management broadcasts your personal business to the entire department and is VERY unfair. Absolutely no room for advancement. Scam most of their customers out of money.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do some serious evaluations to the managers/supervisors in EIS-BR. If you would review your managers files, emails, etc, you would see how seriously they lack management skills. By far the worst management I have ever worked for both personally and professionally.

Great company with great products

Territory Manager (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at EBSCO full-time

ProsThey do not hold you back. They will help you succeed and staff is wonderful.

ConsWillget paid fairly but won't get rich.

Working at McDonalds seems appealing

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at EBSCO full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood health and dental benefits. Paid holidays and floating holidays. Nice scenery. Job stability. Cafeteria serves breakfast and lunch and is very reasonably priced.

ConsEvery division has its own policies. Poor pay for the amount of work assigned. Little room for advancement. Archaic database. Lack of adequate training. No incentives

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsourcing tasks to India will not benefit the company when the in house employees aren't given the resources necessary to provide the best end result possible. Provide incentives to boost morale!

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EBSCO full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, good profit sharing, ample PTO for the first couple of years

ConsLoyalty only goes one direction.

Poor management

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at EBSCO full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLaid back. That is the only pro

ConsNo structure, poor management , and no leadership.No room for advancement. Be sure you have common sense and can teach yourself how to do a job that doesn't have a wide range in skills for a new job due to no training. the pay is terrible for being over worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the employees and value the employees you have left rather than driving them away. Teach your staff how to be a leader. It takes more than one leader to be successful. Reward your staff I other ways if you are unable to dish out money. There are always other incentives that don't involve money.

information consultant

Information Consultant (Current Employee)
Taipei (Taiwan)

I have been working at EBSCO full-time for more than a year

ProsNice environment, good people and beautiful office.

ConsEmotional and local management, Long working hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementHQ should know what's wrong in the office ,or it will be worse

All I wanted was a job, and that was all I got.

Customer Service (Former Employee)

I worked at EBSCO

ProsOpportunities to work with intelligent customers.
Insight into a different field.
Discounts on some magazines.
Valuable experience cooperating with difficult people.

ConsThere was no visible opportunity for advancement. People who worked there for years were still at the same level, though with more responsibilities. The feeling of a dead-end loomed in each department.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage people to make things better and find out who is holding you back. The culture of a reluctance to change is stagnating the human resources.

Great place to work!

I have been working at EBSCO

ProsAs a company, they are invested in your professional growth. They are flexible with your time off, and there are plenty of opportunities for advancement.

ConsThere are not many, however, there is some separation from those in higher positions and those in lower positions...even within the same team.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that as a whole Ebsco is a great place to work. Keep up the good work, and continue to try to bridge the gap between the higher ups and the worker bees.

Worked for EBSCO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EBSCO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EBSCO CEO F. Dixon Brooke Jr. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by EBSCO employees.