EBSCO

Updated February 23, 2015
2.8

Tim Collins
1 Rating

Great private, family owned company that really cares.

I worked at EBSCO

Pros

Great benefits, good compensation, work environment, work/life balance, solid upper management, vacation policies and company savings plan.

Cons

Address substandard employees more prompt and effectively.

Reward the valuable employees.

Tough Market Poor Upper Level Management

Current Employee - Sales in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at EBSCO

Pros

Overall a good company to work for. Particular company I am with sells ads and it offers freedom.

Cons

Market is very soft and even though a new product is out acceptance not enough to save company. Upper management is struggling and thus not responsive. Income possibilities now are bleak. Business model outdated and not being changed to meet current times an.d demands

Take care of employees better and look at changing business plan. Stop doing same thing over and over when it is failing.

Good Potential Hindered by Unprofessional Leadership.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH

I worked at EBSCO full-time

Pros

Fun industry, performance-based compensation for management, if liked, can make a big impact . . . but, watch out, if you rub senior leadership the wrong way.

Cons

Lack of visionary leadership, poor hiring practices with revolving-door mentality, unprofessional culture with gossip and throw-you-under-the-bus approach.

Think strategically . . . drive growth through innovation rather than cost-cutting alone, create a culture of transparency, hire quality employees and inspire to higher performance and reward them accordingly.

When I worked at EBSCO, I was fortunate to work on a good team and have a great team lead.

Former Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Birmingham, AL

I worked at EBSCO full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some great people work there, and the atmosphere is generally positive.

Cons

There do not appear to be merit raises or bonuses.

Great benefits, but some poor management (division by division)

I worked at EBSCO

Pros

For the most part, there is a casual atmosphere. Pay may be a little lower than similar jobs at other companies, but the benefits really are great.

Cons

Most upper management I encountered while working here had serious problems communicating, making decisions and proactively making changes to carry the division into the future.

Listen to your employees. They are the ones on the front lines encountering the issues that need to be addressed. Keep them updated with what's going on, and engage with them for a team effort to benefit the company.

Awful.

Former Employee - E Content
    Former Employee - E Content

I worked at EBSCO full-time

Pros

The only pro was that it was a steady paycheck, albeit, a pathetically small one for the amount and caliber of work and huge amount of stress.

Cons

The job was okay but the supervisor made it intolerable. We were not allowed to use sick hours without jumping through hoops and even still our absences were documented and we got written up if the supervisor decided it was "excessive." Supervisor would often force people to make up hours instead of approving sick time.

Supervisor had completely unrealistic expectations of the workflow and things the team was capable of and only capitalized on the few mistakes that were made instead of the multiple things that were done correctly. Supervisor would also delegate projects out with no notice and expect an immediate turn around time, and then she herself would shut herself in her office and loudly laugh with the other manager and take a 2 hour lunch. There was absolutely no feedback, unless it was negative, and supervisor didn't even read/respond to emails and meeting requests.

She would also single people out and bully them for months at a time before picking a new target. The pay was also a joke...people who work retail make more money with less stress and better managers. People were afraid to go to HR with legitimate complaints about management because if it ever got back to the supervisor who complained then that person would be the new target. She has single-handedly ruined this department.

Other departments might be fine but this one is NOT.

Manage the people who are actually in charge of departments. There's no accountability system for them and they just turn around and ruin hard working teams of people.

Was better company when Stephens family was in charge

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at EBSCO full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are really, really good

Cons

Management, Management, Management and office culture

If people are leaving a certain division consistently, this should tell you something

Family owned company that cares about it's employees

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Alys Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Alys Beach, FL

I worked at EBSCO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation was above average, benefits were extremely good and affordable, work environment was a very friendly and helpful, company values are in line with good morality and values

Cons

The cons off working at Alys Beach is simply the customers. They tend to be extremely wealth and demand and expect lots of personal attention and extra care

Keep the good ones and get rid of the bad ones.

Work very hard for marginal pay

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at EBSCO full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent health insurance. Definitely a financially solid corporation and well diversified as a company. They have a very unique product.

Cons

I worked very hard for this company for a little over a year continually meeting sales quotas. However, I would not consider working for this company again nor recommend them. The home office treated its field sales people poorly and even bordering on disrespectful at times. I personally witnessed the proverbial "Revolving door" of sales people leaving.

• This company has been withholding my final pay for over 8 months. They are not an honest company. I doubt they will ever pay it.
    • During my 2nd week of employment, I made a paperwork error and was charged back the “Retail” price of materials to correct the mistake. I was brand new.
    • The gas reimbursement worked out to be about 10 cents per mile
    • They pay a 15% sales commission, but then assess charge backs at the rate of 25%

I was initially impressed to learn that a handful of individuals had been with the company an impressive amount of years. However, what I later learned is that most sales people left after being treated like terribly.

They definitely come first and the employee comes in a distant second.

Treat your employees as though you care about them.

Good place to work; somewhat progressive in vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clanton, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clanton, AL

I worked at EBSCO full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People at this location are; loyal, hardworking and have the desire to produce the highest quality product for their customers. They want to manufacture their products; safely, with the highest of quality at the time the customer wants it.

Cons

Senior levels of Leadership is losing their Lean vision. Some members of leadership see Lean value in reducing headcount as a result of Lean.

Your workforce will soon figure out your mis-guided strategy of cost reductions and will be reluctant to provide improvement ideas or be willing participants to improvement activities, when you only see the improvement outcomes as a reduction in force.

EBSCO Photos