ECG Management Consultants

Add Photos

Daniel J. Merlino

Bright People, Challenging Work, Growing Company

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCompetitive salary, challenging work, expectation of professionalism allows for greater work independence, formal editing team, robust internal data repository, meritocracy.

Cons"Do as I do and not as I say" culture creates confusion among new hires and leaves senior leaders vulnerable to questions regarding their integrity and forthrightness. Previous comments regarding the work/life balance are accurate however this expectation is the same for many consulting firms. Though a meritocracy-based firm, recent changes to the promotional track structure can be viewed as an attempt to extend the transitioning phase of managers to senior managers for the purpose of limiting FTEs in the profit sharing pools (note: if I was still with the company and in the pools I would have approved of the strategy).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe direct regarding the expectations for work/life balance during the hiring and onboarding process. This should help to improve turnover. Be direct and transparent with junior consultants. It shows respect for their intellect and maturity.

Growing company; Culturally behind the times.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGrowth, multiple office locations, several very good consultants at the senior level.

ConsCulture defined by a few people, and varies by office. Some are led by positive and thoughtful team-builders, while other offices have 1 or 2 toxic personalities that make it difficult for anyone else to advance or succeed. Incentive system encourages internal competition instead of collaboration, and a few individuals "bully" their way to bigger bonuses and promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of the tone being set in the offices. As an earlier comment stated, top sales guys don't necessarily make the best staff managers, so pay attention to your staff as they are your biggest resource.

A mixed experience, particularly as the company culture seems to be headed in a bad direction.

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are intelligent, the work is interesting and challenging, and the clients are satisfied with the work the firm produces. The compensation is high and the offices are (mostly) located in desirable locations.

ConsWork/life balance is almost non-existent and the company has become internally competitive as upper level (senior manager) consultants are financially incentivized to work against each other. The turnover rate among junior staff (senior consultants) has increased significantly, and the firm's partners seem unaware of or uninterested in the driving forces behind it.

Advice to Senior Management1) Not every good consultant makes a good manager. Consolidate administrative management responsibilities under a few good senior managers/principals and let the rest of your senior managers focus on being good consultants.
    2) Realign the incentive structure to reduce the carnage of the current internal competition among the senior managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ECG offers a collaborative environment with interesting work and great people to work with.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe people are smart and willingly to help one another.

ConsAt time utilization rates can run high...but that's a good problem to have as it shows you have lots of clients wanting to hire you.

Challenging work with many opportunities for career advancement.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsChallenging work with many opportunities for career advancement.

ConsWork life balance should be encouraged more.

Worked for ECG Management Consultants? Contribute to the Community!