ECPI College of Technology

ECPI College of Technology President Alfred P Dreyfus

Alfred P Dreyfus

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Student-Focused Environment

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsGreat dedication to helping students gain real skills that will get them real jobs.
    A sense of a "shared" mission to help students better themselves.

ConsDealing with outsiders who assume all for-profit schools are the same. ECPI University has high standards .Some people come here with the wrong attitude and then get all negative when it doesn't work out. Most of the people I work with are happy and dedicated.

Misery loves company...especially THIS company

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsSome of the students you work with are really grateful for the help

ConsThis school is always behind the curve in technology and resources for students, and never ending power struggles prevent real progress.The accelerated pace puts a huge strain on every department and sick/vacation time is inadequate considering the year round high levels of stress. No one loves working here. Do not apply if you expect appreciation, recognition, or opportunities for advancement. Many people stay only because their self-esteem gets beaten down so low that they feel like they will never be able to get hired anywhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of just making it up as you go along, really listen to your employees. They are doing the front line work and may actually have some good ideas.

Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsSome great co-workers and occasionally helping students.

ConsThis job is high-pressure, completely thankless, and there is never a break. Time off is almost non-existent, upper management is manipulative and dishonest, and employees are treated like lemmings who are incapable of having an intelligent thought. There were a few occasions where being dishonest to students was encouraged. The pay that employees receive is not worth the stress and negativity that come with the experience of working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople like to feel valued and appreciated, at least a little bit.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Never met a happy employee in 2 1/2 years

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsHours, vacation, base pay, training, low turnover

ConsEverything else! Micromanagement to the extreme. Dishonest management. Lots of useless phone calls, you are treated like a telemarketer, upper management is very negative. No team atmosphere

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to your students and acting like admissions advisors are salespeople! Sales and education are like oil and water, just don't mix

Perfect if you like telemarketing

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsHelping people is nice , professional office-type environment, decent hours

ConsDisorganized management, constantly changing policies

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to something for once!

Instructors are treated as cogs in a machine.

Instructor (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsI'm given a fair amount of autonomy in terms of what I can teach.
    Coworkers bond over shared job dissatisfaction.

ConsNo room for advancement. Just shut up and do what they hired you to do, which is to teach the same class over and over.

Employees are assigned more responsibilities but not given more money.

No employee development.

There is little to no time for instructors to develop their course material because contact time with students is long and there is no time off between terms.

The HR department's main job is to send out emails about concert ticket drawings. Otherwise we can't figure out what they do. Also, it is difficult to find contact info for HR. You basically have to ask around until you find someone who knows the email address of an HR employee. HR contact info is not posted.

Employee health insurance benefits are minimal.

Management expects employees to behave professionally but does not hold itself to the same standard.

It is easier for a student to meet with the Campus President than it is for an instructor to do so. My colleagues who have emailed the Campus President to request a meeting have been contacted immediately by their Dept. Heads, who demand to know why they would be contacting the Campus President. I understand the necessity of going through the proper chain of command, but when the Dept. Head blows you off for long enough, it seems logical to take your request to the Campus President.

You are hired to teach day classes, but you will be expected with 1-2 weeks notice to teach night classes. When you say that's not what you were hired to do, you will be told that all instructors at ECPI are expected to teach nights.

Employee reviews focus on the one thing you did poorly. Reviews are supposed to occur annually, but they occur less frequently than that. Employees are made to feel like they do not deserve raises.

Nursing instructors are paid considerably more than Arts & Sciences instructors. Arts & Sciences instructors are made to feel as though they are lucky to have jobs and are dispensable.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication with employees. Communicate in advance rather than last-minute. Treat employees with more respect.

For the most part I like working at ECPI

Student Financial Aid (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsHelping the students who really want a better life feels good.
    I work with some really nice people
    I feel respected

ConsAlot of favoritism!!!!!!!!! Managers have their favorites and it is not based on work ability or effort therefore alot of hard working people don't get the raises or recognition they should.

Excellent Work Opportunity

Instructor (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsIt is a very professional, progressive environment. Faculty and staff and provided ongoing free training in a variety of areas, from time managemnet to using the latest multimedia technologies. The environment is fast-paced and exciting, and our students often land lucrative jobs. I really enjoy working at ECPI and am proud to be a member of the staff.

ConsThe work day for faculty is very long. The programs are accelerated and the fast pace, while exciting, can be draining at times. Still, with the right mindset, ECPI can be a fertile place for professional development and personal growth for its many students from many backgrounds.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for ECPI College of Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ECPI College of Technology reviews and ratings in Virginia Beach, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ECPI College of Technology CEO Alfred P Dreyfus. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by ECPI College of Technology employees.