ECPI University

Updated February 25, 2015
2.8

ECPI University President Mark Dreyfus
Mark Dreyfus

Pros
  • The work itself was plentiful, fast paced and challenging (in 5 reviews)

• Great dedication to helping students gain real skills that will get them real jobs (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • faculty) have to punch a time clock, and it is closely monitored by upper management (in 8 reviews)

• It is easier for a student to meet with the Campus President than it is for an instructor to do so (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Professor

I have been working at ECPI University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT students!
    Competitive salary! Enjoyable atmosphere!

Cons

Working hours..are in-consistent.
    Day and Night schedules!

Theory X management in a Theory Y field.

Current Employee - Instructor IT
    Current Employee - Instructor IT

I have been working at ECPI University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Required to teach two classes per 5 week term. Day classes are M/W and T/Th 8am - 1pm and Nights are 6 - 10:30pm, so you will teach about 18-20 hours on the podium. Technology is decent for what I have seen at various schools.
    Instructors are issued an iPad that they keep while employed to help administer class and keep up to date with new mobile apps.
    Most class templates are pre-established within moodle, but they are flexible enough that you can modify them to suit your tastes.
    Have an iPad purchase program where you can buy an iPad for 24 payments of $25.

Cons

Management treats you as if you are constantly trying to "Rip them off". They don't trust you are working when not under the managerial eye. Even though you teach only 18-20 hours per week as a Salaried Full Time instructor you still punch a clock, and you are required to spend 40 hours on campus, even though the LMS (Moodle) permits you to do most of your class prep and grading from home. Even though there are no classes on Friday, you are required to be present for 4 hours minimum. Furthermore, you may get two day classes per week, or one day one night, or two night classes and you often don't find out until 4-7 days in advance.
    Raises have nothing to do with the ratings of your performance. Raises are a joke and are often only implemented 6 months after they are due. You have to initiate your own review process...if you forget, so will they. (I know Public School teachers are playing the violin for me here, but this is a Private Sector for profit ventrue where we only get 1-3 weeks of vacation a year and no summers off.
    No time off to plan, you are teaching 51 out of 52 weeks with the week between Christmas and New Year as the only week without students, but in order to get it off, you have to claim vacation days.
    The maximum vacation is 3 weeks per year...you never get to any more.
    Constantly increasing demands on your time like learning new technologies and developing new course curriculum which used to be paid, but are now expected for free.
    You get 6 days off per year as holidays, but you have to come in on 4 Saturdays for open houses.
    No entry training.
    Benefits are terrible and 401k contribution is discretionary, not fixed.

Recognize your employees and reward them commensurately. Instead of innocuous verbal group praise, actually thank us with raises that keep up with the rate of inflation. Verbal praise rings hollow when you don't thank us when it comes to raises. Tie raises to performance. I know it's hard for you to believe, but money motivates people.

I enjoyed the students and other instructors.

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at ECPI University

Pros

Compensation and benefits were good, other instructors were great to work with.

Cons

The company only cares about money. Any student was admitted as long as their check cleared regardless of ability.

Stricter admissions criteria.

Not the best place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at ECPI University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Managers are encouraging to staff

Cons

The hours arent great. The health insurance is very expensive. The pay is not very good considering that I have a degree. The raises are minimal per year. Little room for advancement.

Great company, great work environment!

Current Employee - Admissions
    Current Employee - Admissions

I have been working at ECPI University

Pros

Great work/life balances, great bosses

Cons

Sitting for long periods of time

The Good Reviews Are FAKE

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at ECPI University

Pros

They do have insurance, 401k, basic vacation time.

Cons

In Admissions, you will be asked to work holidays and weekends. Everything is shady. You feel like you enroll students for the wrong reasons. Get used to being virtually chained to your desk making hundreds on phone calls a week trying to convince students to make an appointment. This is the type of institution that gives colleges a bad reputation. Do what's REALLY right for the students, not what's necessary to hit your budget. The faculty are good, but arms should not be twisted to get someone to start school.

There's no fixing this. They won't listen anyway. They like to prey on kids that don't know any better.

A work environment that was supportive, stable and provided growth opportunities

I worked at ECPI University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My coworkers here were second to none. They ensured a working environment that I wanted to return to everyday. The work itself was plentiful, fast paced and challenging. As far as "for profit" educational institutions are concerned, ECPI is definitely admirable. They genuinely care about student success and work hard to find jobs for their graduates. The faculty are knowledgeable and though fast paced, the classes are well taught. This is the reason the University continues to grow.

Cons

Though I was told often that I was doing well, I never received a formal review. A pay increase was put in which included back pay- but still no review. I would have appreciated feedback. Compensation was in line with industry standards but benefits were very expensive in comparison with other companies I have worked for.

More employee engagement and training opportunities would serve this company well.

The experience with mci/ecpi as an employee was terrible.

Current Employee - Nursing Faculty in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Nursing Faculty in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at ECPI University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow faculty members were great to work with . When there are enough faculty hours can be flexible.

Cons

No personal office. Faculty work in small cubicles in an office of 12 people. The office is the size of a small room. No private area to talk individually with students. Students are very entitled and will not hesitate to go the administrators or president if they do not like an instructor or do not get their way on even small matters. There is no back-up for instructors, whatever the student says is the way it is. Remember, this is a for profit school so the idea is to keep students no matter what for revenue. Even student who clearly need to fail the program are allowed to continue, leaving faculty feeling frustrated and having no control of standards.

Faculty leave frequently out of frustration, which leaves the remaining members having to cover extra clinical and courses. Faculty are often teaching courses totally out of their specialty at a moments notice. Schedules and student rosters are not given to the instructors often until the first day of the course. The RN faculty may be required to cover clinical for the PN program without prior notice. This leads to continuous over-working conditions and fatigue. Pay is not reflective of the workload. This is a year round program with very limited time of for holidays. Faculty members who are full-time salaried employees are required to clock-in and clock-out as if the are hourly workers and are not paid for any work done at home , which is common due to the workload.

Nursing administrators have no administration experience . They were moved from faculty positions to DON, ADON positions having no background or preparation for the role causing chaos. Textbooks are changed without warning . A faculty member may not get the new textbook until the day the course begins leading to faculty members being unprepared for their courses. This intern leads to student dissatisfaction with the instructors and poor evaluations for their performance. Because student satisfaction is priority faculty members are put in impossible situations with poor outcomes that are beyond their control. They are then told they must make the students happier as if they are not quality instructors. If it were not for the exceptional quality of the faculty , who care about providing excellent nursing education the pass rates on the NCLEX for MCI would not be as high as it is. But everyone has their limit and most there have reached theirs. I would not recommend employment with any ECPI / MCI nursing program.

Hire administrative personnel who have extensive experience with nursing administration especially programs utilizing 5 week courses. Administrators should not just be student focused but must support faculty and facilitate their being able to provide the education they are providing the students. Do not allow students to dictate how courses are taught or take disgruntled students to have a negative effect on your faculty. Remember, you need both and both must do their part for a program to be successful.

ECPI University is a GREAT place to work!

I have been working at ECPI University full-time

Pros

If you enjoy a challenging environment that is fast paced, technology based and requires both independent and team work ability, you will LOVE this place! ECPI University is truly ALL about the students. I can see a career here for sure!

Cons

Pace can be overwhelming at times. Sheer volume of work is more than a typical work place, but the rewards and satisfaction of a job well done are also greater than a typical work place.

A great choice for entering the academic arena

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Newport News, VA

I have been working at ECPI University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Encouraging staff to deliver what the students need. Heavy reliance on Adjunct Faculty.

Cons

Tools are not the best. Lack of innovation in computer information systems curriculum

Invest!