ECPI University Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
2.8

ECPI University President Mark Dreyfus
Mark Dreyfus

Pros
  • Great dedication to helping students gain real skills that will get them real jobs (in 5 reviews)

• Opportunities for work life balance, experienced industry leadership, faculty and staff who genuinely care for the students and their colleagues (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • faculty) have to punch a time clock, and it is closely monitored by upper management (in 8 reviews)

• It is easier for a student to meet with the Campus President than it is for an instructor to do so (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

A work environment that was supportive, stable and provided growth opportunities

I worked at ECPI University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers here were second to none. They ensured a working environment that I wanted to return to everyday. The work itself was plentiful, fast paced and challenging. As far as "for profit" educational institutions are concerned, ECPI is definitely admirable. They genuinely care about student success and work hard to find jobs for their graduates. The faculty are knowledgeable and though fast paced, the classes are well taught. This is the reason the University continues to grow.

Cons

Though I was told often that I was doing well, I never received a formal review. A pay increase was put in which included back pay- but still no review. I would have appreciated feedback. Compensation was in line with industry standards but benefits were very expensive in comparison with other companies I have worked for.

More employee engagement and training opportunities would serve this company well.

ECPI University is a GREAT place to work!

I have been working at ECPI University full-time

Pros

If you enjoy a challenging environment that is fast paced, technology based and requires both independent and team work ability, you will LOVE this place! ECPI University is truly ALL about the students. I can see a career here for sure!

Cons

Pace can be overwhelming at times. Sheer volume of work is more than a typical work place, but the rewards and satisfaction of a job well done are also greater than a typical work place.

A great choice for entering the academic arena

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Newport News, VA

I have been working at ECPI University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Encouraging staff to deliver what the students need. Heavy reliance on Adjunct Faculty.

Cons

Tools are not the best. Lack of innovation in computer information systems curriculum

Invest!

Excellent Opportunities.

Current Employee - Student: Web Developer in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Student: Web Developer in Hampton, VA

I have been working at ECPI University (more than an year)

Pros

Relevant. Real. Great atmosphere. Customer focused.

Cons

Flexible schedules. Fast paced. Keep students motivated.

Keep up the good work.

Good career stop

I worked at ECPI University

Pros

This institution has more integrity than many in the for-profit sector. There is opportunity for advancement and service. I was always paid fairly. Student welfare is prioritized. The institution contributes to its communities. Colleagues tend to be hard-working and dedicated to helping students. I made many life-long friends there.

Cons

Exempt salaried workers (including Ph.D. faculty) have to punch a time clock, and it is closely monitored by upper management. Health benefits are not good at all. The faculty non-compete clause is brutal - an adjunct's day job may violate it! The contract contains an arbitration clause. Work hours are not for the squeamish (may be required to teach until 10:30 on Monday night and be back in the classroom at 7:45 Tuesday morning.)

Get rid of the punch clock for exempt salaried employees. It's degrading and is killing morale twice a day for each employee. They are not union blue-collar workers who get OT based on their clock time. They will work longer for you if they know you trust them.

The laboratory pace was inadequate for a chemistry teaching lab.

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Manassas, VA

I worked at ECPI University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Position provided regular hours with plenty of interaction with the students. Most of the students were motivate to learn chemistry and realized chemistry would be useful for nurses.

Cons

The 5-week accelerated course in chemistry did not provide adequate time for the students to learn college chemistry. A variety of topics were covered at a superficial level.

Chemistry lab did not Bunsen burners, and fume hoods to deal with noxious chemicals. Supplies and chemical storeroom was inadequate. Ordered supplies did not arrive in a timely matter. Many useful laboratory experiments could not be conducted because of the inadequacies.

My advice would be to stick to a community college.

I have been working at ECPI University

Pros

It is faster than most schools, the instructors are fantastic.

Cons

They are going to E-books.

Innovative Institution of Higher Education with student-focused faculty and supportive staff

I worked at ECPI University

Pros

Opportunities for work life balance, experienced industry leadership, faculty and staff who genuinely care for the students and their colleagues.

Cons

It is difficult to stay on top of today’s technology with advancements being made every day. It is more of an industry challenge that every institution most likely works to deliver on. It shows that ECPI works to make sure students receive current course content for in-demand degrees such as Tech/Health Sciences.

Horrible place to work!

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ECPI University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros to list here.

Cons

low pay, mean owner, scam of a school. You will feel guilty enrolling people into this school

shut down the company. This is not a legit school

If you enjoy being treated like an insignificant nobody and just a number then ECPI University is the place for you.

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Charleston, SC

I worked at ECPI University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a job that offers a decent pay scale. If you are looking to go back to school they will help you pay for college. It can be very rewarding when you see your students start and finish their program and see how they have grown through the process and are able to celebrate their successes.

Cons

The schedule does not allow you to have an outside life and management could care less. They feel like they own you and make it known that you are very replaceable and that you should be grateful to have a job. You are treated like a child, everything you do or say is scrutinized. There is very little consistency in the policies between campuses. It all depends on who the leadership is at your campus as to how things are run so you can never get any backing from upper management because the campus president has the final word.The training is very lacking at ECPI. I had been with the company for 3 1/2 years before I was ever sent to New Advisor training. No room for advancement unless you are at the main campuses in VA.

Upper management needs to be more approachable to their employees. Unless you have a director's title they will not even acknowledge you when they visit the campus. I was an employee for over 4 years and had many campus visits by the University President/owner and his right hand people and in that time was never spoken to by them and not only that they try to avoid even making eye contact with you. Human Resources is horrible and needs to realize that picking up the phone and returning your call is part of their job and not the imposition they make it seem to be. You need to realize that people do have lives outside of ECPI and offer some flexibility in the constant schedule changes.