EDF Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

Vincent de Rivaz

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great business which is increasingly customer focused and looks after its staff well

Senior Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- really interesting and varied work
    - at the cutting edge of customer contract innovation
    - surprisingly good at listening to and understanding its customers
    - strong company values - they walk the talk on sustainability, recycling and safety
    - mostly well paid work with a consistent performance related bonus available if work up to scratch
    - some very smart people work there you can learn from

Cons- good at listening to customers but legacy systems mean we couldn't respond as fast as we would like (although these are being updated/consolidated)
    - very fine margins in residential and business retail electricity so huge focus on risk management which is sensible but a bit stifling

Advice to Senior Management- do fewer things better

Helped for my career to grow as professional

Senior SAP IT Test Analyst (Former Employee) Three Bridges, England (UK)

Pros- The best part of working with EDF energy was, I got challenging work everyday.
    - I never got bored of any of my tasks.
    - I was well fed, and at the same time they took best out of me.
    - Career Mentor helped to learn, apply and grow
    - My work was always noticed and rewarded.
    - Given the chance to apply the best process to get best results in my role.
    - Helped personally and professionally.

Cons- Multiple people manage same task, and status reports every hour is bit hectic

Advice to Senior Management- Many people chasing the team members multiple times a day puts pressure and little bit of distraction.

Opportunities

Contract Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThere are opportunities if you want to make the adjustments to do so

ConsThe senior and executive leadership are in a mess with little direction

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk and be honest.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Empowering employees to make their mark and develop into what they want to be.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

ProsEDF Energy invests in it's people. If you have an ambition to develop your career they give you the tools and support to do so. There is a strong focus on zero harm, including physical and mental wellbeing.

ConsThe Energy sector is not popular with the UK population, so it can feel like you are fighting a losing battle on the customers side, but regardless, customers needs are the forefront of EDF Energy's business

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSteep learning curve, many opportunities around the company, different departments to rotate to. Excellent for finding an area that interest you.

Consstarting salary for graduate is pretty low.

Advice to Senior Managementpay rise in line with industry average and competitors

Slow moving company. Poor culture. Dissapointing.

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsEDF Energy is a great name in the energy landscape.
    Energy generation is a big challenge and utilities are the place to be if you want to be part of the journey.
    There is so much to do in terms of technology, communication, processes, partnerships, marketing
    EDF Energy comes with the brand, expertise and all the assets from the French giant, parent company EDF.

ConsUnfortunately, the strategy is not so clear (energy generation vs retail)
    EDF Energy was build after a merger of multiple UK energy companies (Britis energy, london electricity, etc.) and there are still cultural gaps.
    People are not likely to welcome new comers and are very process-driven.
    Tick-boxing culture, few inspirational managers.
    Lots of contractor, people focused on their day to day task.
    EDF Energy puts too much emphasis on greenwashing and low carbon blabla.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees a clear strategy and pay attention to clients.
    Not just copy-paste global marketing (ie greenwashing) but help people understand the A-Z of energy, for today and tomorrow.

Nice Job ruined by the Management

Meter Operative (Current Employee) Eastbourne, England (UK)

ProsEnjoy working with the Public. Sort of being your own boss, nobody looking over your shoulder. Being out and about

ConsWorking with a Management that is intimidating, threatening. that have manage to demoralise the Work Force. Driving a van that has been rebranded with the most stupid of any logos that has been produced by a Company

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using a stick and more of a carrot, to get the best out of us. Your bullying tactics, only make us more resentfull. Try trusting us more, and stop treating us like Children

Senior Leadership that cannot lead

Business Partner (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe staff... Until you are beaten into submission and lose all sense of pride the staff are great. Unfortunately it doesn't take long until the "model employee" mode kicks in and all value-add is lost.

ConsEDF do not in any way "care" about it's employees. HR is inept, but to be fair that's not difficult in this organisation. Senior Leadership is locked in some childish playground power struggle and incapable of providing leadership. Exec Team are absent and leave the children to run the nursery.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit - make EDF a better place by falling on your swords..

Hard work, average rewards, dismal culture

Human Resources (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Proswages are competitive, benefits packages are good for senior staff, good team work within own area

Conswork you very hard, silo mentality, very slow decision making, nuclear is king and everyone else gets the scraps

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your staff

Bad locations, low salary and hold-hand rail policy obsession

Graduate Engineer (Former Employee) Lydd, England (UK)

ProsThe company is aware of the fact the they need new people. For this reason, they treat graduates well. The graduate scheme is well organized even if it is up to the graduate to find a place where to live for a few months. There is a lot of technical stuff on the plant, and one can learn a lot.

ConsPower Plants are, for obvious reasons, located in the worst places of the country. Working in a Power plant means living in a small and sad town near it. This is not really the lifestyle a young graduate would expect to lead. Salary is low, graduates earn 26 thousand pounds a year before tax and senior managers would earn approx 75'000 pounds and the end of their career. No benefits at all, no car, nothing. A recent company policy forced all emloyees to hold handrails on stairs. And if one doesn't do it, god, everyone is ready to tell you off. When I experienced it, I first started wondering if forcing employees in this way is even legal in the UK....

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries, give benefits. A well treated employee is happier and would work better.

Worked for EDF Energy? Contribute to the Community!