EDF Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

Vincent de Rivaz

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great business which is increasingly customer focused and looks after its staff well

Senior Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- really interesting and varied work
    - at the cutting edge of customer contract innovation
    - surprisingly good at listening to and understanding its customers
    - strong company values - they walk the talk on sustainability, recycling and safety
    - mostly well paid work with a consistent performance related bonus available if work up to scratch
    - some very smart people work there you can learn from

Cons- good at listening to customers but legacy systems mean we couldn't respond as fast as we would like (although these are being updated/consolidated)
    - very fine margins in residential and business retail electricity so huge focus on risk management which is sensible but a bit stifling

Advice to Senior Management- do fewer things better

Good for stability, not great for advancement/personal growth.

Pros- Decent salary, especially for those working out of London
    - Stable, although restructures are common
    - In the right team, training opportunities are strong
    - In the right team, remit can be large so if you thrive on the 'thrown in at the deep end' challenge you can grow quickly.
    - Annual bonus based on performance
    - Fairly flexible (in the right team)

Cons- Very risk adverse so digital capability below average
    - Archaic IT systems and policies meaning those working in digital areas may feel stifled.
    - Senior positions are mainly held by males. Often women peak at middle management level.
    - Very internal focussed so long hours are usually down to inefficient stakeholder management
    - Limited career development for those in digital
    - Management training is not enforced so good leadership can be sporadic

Advice to Senior Management- Update IT systems and policies to enable collaboration and productivity which will attract/retain younger talent
    - Transparency on pay banding needs reviewing to ensure all the business is open about pay levels
    - Invest in leadership training and measure performance as part of this to limit politicking and self advancement decision making
    - Investigate the gender gap for senior leaders

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

My 13th Year

Customer Service Worker (Current Employee) Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

ProsI work in a friendly environment, with a company that looks after your health and well being.

ConsSome calls we get can be challenging but over all people are good human beings and with compassion and knowledge they soon come around.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little kinder to us who work on the phones, we understand the company needs to make a profit however we are much more than a number on a board or what our stats might be, we are people who sometimes in adverse circumstances make this company's clock tick, and would like to be appreciated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Helped for my career to grow as professional

Senior SAP IT Test Analyst (Former Employee) Three Bridges, England (UK)

Pros- The best part of working with EDF energy was, I got challenging work everyday.
    - I never got bored of any of my tasks.
    - I was well fed, and at the same time they took best out of me.
    - Career Mentor helped to learn, apply and grow
    - My work was always noticed and rewarded.
    - Given the chance to apply the best process to get best results in my role.
    - Helped personally and professionally.

Cons- Multiple people manage same task, and status reports every hour is bit hectic

Advice to Senior Management- Many people chasing the team members multiple times a day puts pressure and little bit of distraction.

One of the best utility companies I've worked for.

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Exeter, England (UK)

ProsThe training provided is fantastic and you receive quite a lot in ways of support and tools to help you develop in both your understanding and skills. EDF Energy ensure that their staff are fit and well, both physically and mentally to ensure the best service is able to be provided. If help is needed, 'Well Being' support is available in many different forms. Company perks and bonuses are very good.

ConsRecognition for doing well isn't something that regularly happens unfortunately.
    Communications about changes or updates seem to be overlooked sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrently there are a few processes that are not very clear; I feel this may be due to lack of consistent communication. An example is asking 3 managers the same question and getting a different answer with the exact same circumstances.
    I also find that TPC's are picking up the overflow of the managers work, resulting in not being able to fulfil their role completely - Some members of staff find it very difficult to get the help they require as the TPC is too busy.

Ok but used to be better

Team Manager (Current Employee) Hove, England (UK)

ProsEDF energy pay a good salary and incentives to its staff and have good working conditions

ConsAt the moment the biggest challenge for my level at EDF Energy is whether you will have a job in a couple of months due to cuts in the manager level staff. We were told this a few day before Christmas which was a great Christmas present and although they have tried to keep us informed of the situation still not knowing the process is not good. It makes you feel that although you are doing a great job this is not recognised and makes you wander whether you want to continue working for a employer that doesn't necessarily recognise this. Until recently I would have been happy to recommend EDF Energy as a great place to work and a company who really cared about their employees. I understand the pressures of the need to operate a profit making business but does that mean we have to sacrifice other areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to start to care about our employees more again and also stop fire fighting all the time

Opportunities

Contract Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThere are opportunities if you want to make the adjustments to do so

ConsThe senior and executive leadership are in a mess with little direction

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk and be honest.

Welcoming but could be more engaging.

Summer Intern (Engineering) (Former Employee) West Kilbride, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe staff were very friendly and welcoming, up for a laugh. They put a high focus on health and safety (for obvious reasons), which seemed like a pain at first but you begin to understand why it has to be so thorough.

ConsThe internship didn't seem to engaging; a lot of the time I was just sitting about an office with no intranet/computer access. This was due to the fact that my disclosure Scotland application was never approved during my time there; this seemed to be fairly disorganised on the admin side of things as they could have organised the internships at a much earlier stage, rather than advertising for it only a few weeks before it actually started. In general, this meant that I never really had the freedom of a small project/investigation to get on with.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's hard to say, considering I wasn't there for that long.

Great Company To Be A Contractor For

Chef Manager (Current Employee) Plymouth, England (UK)

ProsGreat People work for EDF therefore I have great customers in my canteen

ConsOutsourcing as reduced my customer base

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Empowering employees to make their mark and develop into what they want to be.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

ProsEDF Energy invests in it's people. If you have an ambition to develop your career they give you the tools and support to do so. There is a strong focus on zero harm, including physical and mental wellbeing.

ConsThe Energy sector is not popular with the UK population, so it can feel like you are fighting a losing battle on the customers side, but regardless, customers needs are the forefront of EDF Energy's business

Worked for EDF Energy? Contribute to the Community!