EDF Group

Updated Jun 4, 2014

EDF Group Président Directeur Général Henri Proglio

Henri Proglio

Good protection,bureaucratic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood social protection, some other advantage

ConsLong,not reactive, national french company

Advice to Senior ManagementPragmatique

slow pace, no money

Devellopper (Current Employee) Toulouse (France)

Prosyou can keep your job forever

Cons- no career
    no identification of your performances

Advice to Senior Managementtry another job
    move out of french state governance

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company culture a lot of things to learn

ConsLarge corporation problems, a lot of walls

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting work in a big but stable and human company

Purchaser (Current Employee) La Défense (France)

ProsWork life balance, internal professional mobility, the internal training if you move to a new function, stability with a job for life

ConsRaise of salaries not linked to your performance, decision process very long

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people be innovative, pay and encourage the performance of your employees

Engineering Intern

Engineer (Former Employee) Lyon (France)

ProsWork opportunities in the industry (about 70 production sites, R&D centers, ... ), numerous projects in all fields of engineering. Good pay, good work/life balance.

ConsWorking in a big and not very flexible corporate structure.

Really good R&D for a big industrial company

PhD Candidate (Former Employee) Paris (France)

Pros- I worked there as a scientist while preparing my PhD. EDF R&D co-funded my PhD (through a CIFRE grant). Unlike many stories I heard in other companies (big and small), my management never tried to use me as a cheap engineer. I was hired to do science and research and that is what I did, spending as much time in my academic lab than in the office and doing some worthy, published science.
    - That is what makes me say that it's one of the last big french industrial group that still does some real, long-term, serious scientific research, both fundamental and applied. I'm not saying they do it perfectly, but most other big french companies just don't do it any more, instead doing product development and labeling it "research".
    - My direct management were extremely competent (for both technical and human issues), supportive and overall among the best bosses I've ever had. I know from speaking with other people that it's not the case in all teams, but the simple fact that such people do work in this company and are not leaving is a good sign.
    - More generally, some people here are really really good. Some senior experts, engineers and researchers are gold mines of knowledge and valuable advice.
    - I also have to commend the excellent work the people there are visibly doing to offer positions to disabled people; it goes much further than what I have seen anywhere else. You keep meeting people in wheelchair, with motor problems, hearing or sight conditions or other severe disability, and they are perfectly integrated everywhere in the company. I really enjoyed working with people who can't interact with the world in the same way as I do, and it made my owm work experience richer.
    - I also have to point out that I had an good salary for a CIFRE PhD researcher ; I wish all of the other french PhD candidate could have made it in the same material conditions.

ConsThis is the research division of a 150000+ people publicly owned industrial group. Expect some obstrusive bureaucracy, general slowness for taking decisions, and internal politics and rivalries popping up every so often.
    Also, 85% of the company is state-owned, and you can see it. Energy is a touchy topic, and decisions will often be taken for political reasons more than because they make economic, scientific or ethical sense. It is quite current for projects to be killed or insanely promoted on some arbitrary decision from the top management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the scientists doing science, you have an edge over everyone else there. Keep the wonderful people you have in, and try to get some even more wonderful young people in when they retire. And try to reduce the administrative load.

Waste of time

Sales Advisor (Former Employee) Dijon, Burgundy (France)

ProsParticipation of employer for meal, good environment and interesting work project

ConsThey create fake job for people who are useless because they can't fire them. They prefer to hire someone who is lasyness because they will cost less than someone who have a diploma and motivated

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should hire people who wants to work and are competent rather than worrying about the cost of it.

great problems to study, very difficult to have some actual impact

Research Engineer (Current Employee) Paris (France)

Pros- interesting projects (in some departments)
    - a fair amount of resources for R&D work
    - the better departments have good links both to academic research and operations
    - a history of actually applying R&D ideas to operations successfully
    - good starting salary after school
    - great work/life balance

Cons- poor project management leading to extremely long project times or useless work. Can be extremely demotivating
    - slightly insular atmosphere (people get hired right out of school, few outside hires) which can lead to being behind in industry best practices
    - pay is not motivating at all - slow and small pay increases
    - no competitive pressure on the company, little intelligent management pressure which leads to complacency and poor execution

Advice to Senior Management- there is a huge margin of improvement in how R&D project are managed both internally and by clients in operations
    - people who are managing/coordinating R&D work on the operations side need to have some basic domain knowledge and a vision for the future to make intelligent decisions

Power Dispatcher

Power Dispatcher (Former Employee) Nantes (France)

ProsIt's an entry-level job for an Electrical engineer. You will learn how to handle the electric grid from A to Z and it will have many career opportunities.
    Competitive salary and benefits

ConsIt's a very stressful environment therefore if can't handle it don't do this job.
    It's a shift job thus you must be able to work during nights and weekends

Interesting place to work in Paris.

Energy Market Risk Analyst (Former Employee) Paris (France)

ProsGreat team work, interesting topics on energy market, good interactions with subsidiaries.

ConsLow payroll, career might not be as rewarding as it seems

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement lacks technical knowledge.

Worked for EDF Group? Contribute to the Community!