EDS Canada Reviews

Ann Livermore
1 Rating

Information Specialist

I have been working at EDS Canada full-time

Pros

Strong work ethic
    Strong team values
    "Seasoned" profesional managers that help guide and mentor resources

Cons

Poor strategic or senior management to help execute and drive the vision of IT services

More creative and professional managers whom actually delivered new products or ideas with lean and flat matrixed organizations.

Good company to work

Former Employee - Service Information Developer III  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Service Information Developer III in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at EDS Canada full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunites for advancement
    Flexible policy - work from home is allowed
    Can buy vacation days

Cons

Team is very diverse from different locations and even different continents.

Provided 24 hour support for plant floor software applications in an automotive environment

Former Employee - Applied Analyst  in  Ingersoll, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Applied Analyst in Ingersoll, ON (Canada)

I worked at EDS Canada

Pros

Excellent online resources made available to all employees. Management also didn't mind if we set aside time from our weekly schedules to make use of this opportunity.

Cons

Sluggish big company to work for. Especially when supporting the automotive industry in North America. There was little opportunity for growth (responsibility or pay).

The cost cutting that i experienced in terms of employee benefits and team building was extremely demoralizing to almost all employees. It seems as though you are actually losing previous team building investment.
    I suggest a cheaper alternative instead of cancelling it all together.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company is going in the line of HP rather old EDS

I have been working at EDS Canada

Pros

Big company with lots of project so you may get chance to work on different different technologies

Cons

Company is not same as before after HP buyin. It is now less software company more of hardware company. Pls keep as old company

No balance between work with few benefits

I have been working at EDS Canada

Pros

Good quality people, unfortunately, they are all leaving.
    Employee Benefits although limited and declining
    3 weeks vacation

Cons

No work life balance
    No training
    No career path
    I feel like just an expense to be cut by management not a source of revenue generation
    Constant pressure to perform or else

You cannot run a services company like a manufacturing company. I would like management to value it's employees not treat them like a cost to be cut.

EDS is trap, EDS an HP company sucks

I have been working at EDS Canada

Pros

Used to have ability to work at different places, projects, different industries. Now, all of that is gone, unless you are willing to go to India, China.

Cons

Managed by paper-pushers. Negative selection promoted "yes-man". Managers totally disconnected from the business. Now it is ever worse as the company is being dismantled HP.

Go back to basic. People are really your best and only asset. Grow business, there is enough work for all us, including NA.

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at EDS Canada

Pros

Starting salary is competitive. Benefits are okay.

Cons

No salary increases. No job security. Management treats employees like children. Distrustful environment. No fun on the job. Flooded with EDS brainwashing messages: "Hip Hip Hooray EDS! EDS! EDS!".

They will take none, so what's the point? They don't feel guilty about what they do because they honestly feel their moves and action are for the better of the company. Only when employee satisfaction translates to dollars will they listen.

Good place to learn but pay is inadequate

Current Employee - Desk Side Support  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Desk Side Support in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at EDS Canada

Pros

EDS takes people in and trains them for a job which most places do not. The reason EDS does this though is because they actually pay so low that they can't get anyone with experience. So good place to come and learn and then go for the money elsewhere.

Cons

Way too much management and they protect the dead wood in management. I have 5 supervisors in my team of 10. That is 2 people for every supervisor and I don't have a clue what they do. There is a team lead here that is sick one or more days a week, every week and has not trained or let anyone else know the job so that the office can continue.
    Also the salary is 10,000.00 less than the average salary in Calgary for the same position. They have the idea that they can train anyone to do a helpdesk job or a desktop job so we have people with no skills at all answering the phone. this s reception not computer help!.

You get what you pay for. You do not make software you deal in people and there skills and bill them out way higher than you pay them. You will never succeed unless you realize your resource is the very people than you don't respect and pay according. Paying too much to management and not ensuring you have trained technical people is why you lose accounts

A Reasonable First Job, Learn then Move On

Former Employee - Systems Administrator - Advanced  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator - Advanced in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at EDS Canada

Pros

Exposure to interesting work with varied clients and varied environments.

Cons

Archaic and confused processes that work more to restrict the success of the employee and company than to ehance it. Too much time was spent working on things that did not generate revenue for the company or was used to justify the job of someone else. Not enough acknowledgement of the good work done by good people.

Reward the good people working for the company. Spend more time seeing what you can do for the troops instead of worrying about what needs to be done to make more money for shareholders.

Things are gloomy at EDS, an HP company.

Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Specialist  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Specialist in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at EDS Canada

Pros

Great exposure to technology. It comes in slow, but you probablu don't get exposure in smaller organizations.
    Overall, compensation is not bad, and the benefit package is pretty solid. In the past, career opportunities have been good, but not for the last 12 months. When the HP aquistion settles down, maybe things will improve again.

Cons

Job security is poor now that we have been purchased by HP. No one is safe. It's been tough for quite a while due to Off shoring of jobs, but it's getting worse. The company is laying off some it's brightest people based only on the client they support.

Everyday tasks are mired down in process. A 15 minute job now takes 16 hours of paperwork and meetings. If you want to talk cost reduction, here is where you look.

Worked for EDS Canada? Contribute to the Community!