EDmin.com

Updated September 2, 2014
2.8

Peter H. R. Sibley

Enjoyed the learning experience

I have been working at EDmin.com full-time

Pros

Great product that helps students around the country and around the world

Cons

Difficult to stay focused on the company goals and vision if not involved with the management team

Keep strong employees

Decent Company.

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at EDmin.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, very talented and hard working.

Cons

Somewhat disorganized. The work is not that exciting.

Keep up the morale and create a more collaborative, cohesive environment.

Stagnant?

I worked at EDmin.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Products still have potential, perhaop you could be the catalyst.

Cons

Company's technology is not keeping up with the market. If you have skills with older software and middle ware (2001-2005 era), you will be a good fit here.

Pay attention to your middle managers; word is getting around they they are not as professional as you think they are.

Watch Out

I worked at EDmin.com full-time

Pros

Good opportunities to get into and pursue a field. Staff and upper management are good to work with.

Cons

Strategically trying hard yet getting left behind by competitors with fresh client-facing technology. Upper managers appear unconcerned by negative effects middle managers have on staff. Good benefits for a small company.

If you like to put on blinders, sit in meetings all day and accomplish nothing -- this is the place for you!

I have been working at EDmin.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some decent, hard working people who somehow can put up with management who can not get anything done. Decent Benefits for a small company.

Cons

Senior Management team is as old, outdated and out of touch as the products they are trying to sell. Big talkers and execution. 9 out of 10 people who work there are "management." The place has a revolving door. The are notoriously low paying and don't give raises so typically they get employees who don't have a job and they continue search and leave as soon as they find another with more reasonable pay.

Time to sell the business to younger, smarter, hungrier people and stop embarrassing yourselves.

Life is too short

Former Employee - Information Technology
    Former Employee - Information Technology

I worked at EDmin.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's a few diamonds in the rough working here that would make great additions to you network.
    If you like wearing many different hats and working miracles with a ridiculously small budget, you could be happy here.
    If you are a worker bee that never questions anything and has mediocre to no marketable skills, you may find this place comfortable

Cons

The second you rock the boat and criticize the truly terrible management you'll be labeled a non-team player and you'll be let go.
    If you don't already know best practices, you will learn some bad habits here, and if you do know best practices, your frustration will be get you fired.
    Seriously, life is to short to waste it here. You can find any number of better places to work for the same pay since they don't bother to retain their employees with competitive pay/benefits.

Sell this company to someone younger, smarter, and more ambitious and go move to Boca Raton.

All-in -all a great oportunity

Current Employee - IT Systems in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - IT Systems in San Diego, CA

I have been working at EDmin.com

Pros

I gained a lot of experience here and found my fellow employees quite supportive from day one. They went out of their way to make me feel at home. The job I had could at times be stressful, but who's kidding who... that's the nature of the IT beast. I found that the need to solve sometimes complex issues for demanding customers to be an invironment in which I thrived. I almost always felt that upper level management was behind me even during those chrunch times.

Cons

Like all the places else Ihave worked there are some fellow employees that are noit supportive and can be disruptive... but management at Edmin was wise enough to see these problems and deal with them. AS far as being short on resources... sometimes that was true, but in these times I am afraid that this is the rule rather than the exception no matter where one works.

Keep on doing what you do!

Rewarding company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at EDmin.com

Pros

Very knowledgable about technology and education. Employees are very passionate about what they do and also very respectful of co-workers

Cons

You will always be busy here.

Stay on course.

Stay away

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at EDmin.com

Pros

Not too many great reasons to work here. Some decent technologies but for the most part technology was outdated when I worked there. Typically IT catch 22, always working to maintain older infrastructures with no room/time or help from upper management to build out new and exciting/more efficient technologies that would help the company and yourself.

Cons

Over worked, underpaid, older software, no training. Not a ton of support from upper management to spend on its employees in terms of upping the technical foothold of the company to try and get better results for its customers.

Invest in your employees more often and watch the efficiency & motivation increase tenfold. Project planning is the ultimate frustration of any engineer that has not received advanced notice on the work ahead.

Avoid unless you need a foot in the door

I worked at EDmin.com

Pros

The best thing I can say about working for EDmin is that it linked me into a network of friendly, capable people, none of whom work at EDmin anymore because they all moved on to better opportunities as soon as possible. As someone just starting out in the San Diego job market EDmin did provide me with a way to build my network and get my foot in the door.

Chronic resource scarcity provides plenty of experience in creative problem-solving. In some aspects I had a fair amount of autonomy in how I approached my work and I built some marketable skills there.

Cons

Overall EDmin was a frustrating and at times depressing place to work. Upper management nickels-and-dimes budgeting resulting in major infrastructure problems. Failure to mitigate serious network and data security issues borders on the unethical. Priorities are poorly managed and change constantly. Firefighting is constant. The Project Support department does not say "no" often enough, does not manage customer expectations properly, and leaves engineers to deal with the fallout. Non-technical, unqualified people meddle with the engineering and IT groups. Employee morale is low and management is either baffled by, or does not care about, the high turnover rate. The Project Support director in particular exerts an arrogant and toxic influence over the entire operation, and the office politics are a minefield relative to the size of the company.

Take a hard look at your problems with turnover and employee morale. Leave technical/engineering decisions to those actually qualified to make them. Be willing to make prudent investments in infrastructure and resources. Manage priorities and expectations and don't make the relationship between PSO and engineering so adversarial.