EEI Communications

Updated August 9, 2014
Updated August 9, 2014
1.7

Jim deGraffenreid

Great company with wonderful employees

Former Employee - Instructor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at EEI Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was a great experience.People are co operative and know how to deal with potential employees.I also learned few skills that they offer.Complaints were managed effectively.Provided a good environment for instructions.

Cons

Practically i didn't face any problem with the management.The company is somehow rejuvenating itself.I just had some minor issues due to this good come back.I had some problems with the employees.

great comeback,take some bold steps.

The Business University Alexandria (Formerly EEI Communications)

Former Employee - Adobe Certified Instructor
    Former Employee - Adobe Certified Instructor

I worked at EEI Communications as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

The only pro is that the same management that took over from Clair Kincaid when she retired gave themselves a new name of "The Business University" and new location on Duke Street in Alexandria. The had to leave Canal Center after not paying rent.

Cons

They didn't pay the instructors, so the old crew that was there when they built their former excellent reputation is gone to other Adobe Authorized Training Centers and assorted other places. They had the gall to call some of us that they still owe money to and ask us back. None accepted.

Pay your former instructors. It's not too late. "You are at the top of my list," is what you said to all of us. And you sealed the deal with a handshake. You can still make things right.

The Business University (Formerly EEI Communications)

I worked at EEI Communications

Pros

Yay for bankruptcy! You get to keep your assets, not pay your contractors and start over under a new name!

Cons

Calling the contractors who are owed thousands of dollars to see if they would like to work for you again. (Uh, NO.)

Really? Just pay your contractors, some of whom almost lost their homes because of your poor business decisions. And seriously, how do you look yourselves in the eye?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible, Horrible Company

I worked at EEI Communications as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

Twenty word minimum—work here if you love to work with management who lies and steals and shakes your hand to seal the deal.

Cons

Thirty or more instructors left due to non-payment. Only the scabs are left. A question for Anonymous from Aug 10, 2013. What is your name? Are you management with a fake review? Because no employee would give Evil Empire, Incorporated (EEI) 5 stars. Nobody.

Quit posting fake reviews and pay us. Some of the non-payment goes back four years now. Be ethical. Try. Just write a check and put it in the mail.

Horrible Company now -- they used to be the best

I worked at EEI Communications as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

There aren't any pros to this company anymore, and it's hard to meet the twenty word minimum to fill this space to say stay away from this company. They lie, cheat, and steal. Everyone who was good has left.

Cons

They don't pay their instructors or their rent. They lost their status as an Adobe Authorized Training Center. They lie to their students. Jim deGraffenreid ran this company into the ground. Get your training somewhere else.

Pay your instructors their back pay. We trusted you, Joe Robinson, and you lied to us in return.

New management ran EEI Communications into the ground.

Former Employee - Adobe Certified Instructor  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Adobe Certified Instructor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at EEI Communications as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

There aren't any pros anymore.

Cons

Not only did Jim deGraffenreid set up a plan to stop paying instructors and use that money for other things, it got worse. I began to hear complaints from students when I ran into them elsewhere that EEI would take their money, tell them there wasn't enough enrollment for the class to run, and tell them they had to take a different class that they had no interest in. They would not refund the money, and would not provide the class that the student signed up for.

They lost their Adobe accreditation and are no longer an Adobe Authorized Training Center because of what they have done to instructors and students.

Pay the instructors the back pay that you owe them. Do the right thing for your former instructors and your students. It's the only way to salvage your once-pristine reputation.

Very professional, easy going staffing department, really helpful to me.

Former Employee - Graphic Artist  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Washington, DC

I worked at EEI Communications

Pros

The staffing department helped me a lot after I was laid off from my previous job, and lead me to my current position with a company that I love. Even though it was only supposed to be temporary, I was hired full time in July. Always professional and knowledgeable about the kind of work I was interested in and let me know about any jobs that could be a match for me.

Cons

Received a lot of e-mails about jobs I wasn't qualified for. Sometimes there are no assignments ready as soon as one ends, but that is a usual temp agency thing. Didn't always receive feedback on work.

Was once a great organization, now they don't pay their contractors.

Former Employee - Contractor With EEI Communications  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Contractor With EEI Communications in Alexandria, VA

I worked at EEI Communications

Pros

For many, many years, EEI Communications was the premiere training, editing, and staffing organization in the Washington, DC area.

Cons

Current management made a decision—and actually announced it in a company-wide meeting—that to save money and keep the company afloat, they would not pay their contractors in a timely manner for the work already delivered. Multiple lawsuits followed (monies were paid in full only after papers were filed with the Alexandria Courthouse), and those who could find work elsewhere moved on.

Ethical companies pay their contractors for the work that they deliver. That new website looks slick, but settling up with the few loyal contractors that you have left would have been a much better investment in the future of EEI Communications.

Irresponsible company

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at EEI Communications

Pros

This would be great business with the right managment

Cons

Non-payment of contractors,
    inexcusable business practices including response to queries
    dishonest managers

Clean up management and pay your contractors

A grossly flawed business plan

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at EEI Communications

Pros

Skilled staff, decent equipment and software, competent managers who know the processes that they are overseeing, generous time-off for actual staff (sorry contractors!)

Cons

Regular staff being forced into contract positions and then pushed into bidding against each other over jobs -- a move made to save money on benefits and staff down-time... but the biggest issue at the company is the GROSSLY imbalanced ratio between producers (people making the actual products) and upper level managers... there are easily 3 managers for every worker and it's a seriously broken business model

EEI doesn't need 6 vice presidents when the company only has 50 employees in total... it's bizarre business decisions like that that put the outfit into such a money crunch

Worked for EEI Communications? Contribute to the Community!