EEI Communications

Updated May 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim deGraffenreid

Great company with wonderful employees

Instructor (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsIt was a great experience.People are co operative and know how to deal with potential employees.I also learned few skills that they offer.Complaints were managed effectively.Provided a good environment for instructions.

ConsPractically i didn't face any problem with the management.The company is somehow rejuvenating itself.I just had some minor issues due to this good come back.I had some problems with the employees.

Advice to Senior Managementgreat comeback,take some bold steps.

The Business University (Formerly EEI Communications)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYay for bankruptcy! You get to keep your assets, not pay your contractors and start over under a new name!

ConsCalling the contractors who are owed thousands of dollars to see if they would like to work for you again. (Uh, NO.)

Advice to Senior ManagementReally? Just pay your contractors, some of whom almost lost their homes because of your poor business decisions. And seriously, how do you look yourselves in the eye?

Horrible, Horrible Company

Instructor (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsTwenty word minimum—work here if you love to work with management who lies and steals and shakes your hand to seal the deal.

ConsThirty or more instructors left due to non-payment. Only the scabs are left. A question for Anonymous from Aug 10, 2013. What is your name? Are you management with a fake review? Because no employee would give Evil Empire, Incorporated (EEI) 5 stars. Nobody.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit posting fake reviews and pay us. Some of the non-payment goes back four years now. Be ethical. Try. Just write a check and put it in the mail.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Company now -- they used to be the best

Instructor (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThere aren't any pros to this company anymore, and it's hard to meet the twenty word minimum to fill this space to say stay away from this company. They lie, cheat, and steal. Everyone who was good has left.

ConsThey don't pay their instructors or their rent. They lost their status as an Adobe Authorized Training Center. They lie to their students. Jim deGraffenreid ran this company into the ground. Get your training somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your instructors their back pay. We trusted you, Joe Robinson, and you lied to us in return.

New management ran EEI Communications into the ground.

Adobe Certified Instructor (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThere aren't any pros anymore.

ConsNot only did Jim deGraffenreid set up a plan to stop paying instructors and use that money for other things, it got worse. I began to hear complaints from students when I ran into them elsewhere that EEI would take their money, tell them there wasn't enough enrollment for the class to run, and tell them they had to take a different class that they had no interest in. They would not refund the money, and would not provide the class that the student signed up for.

They lost their Adobe accreditation and are no longer an Adobe Authorized Training Center because of what they have done to instructors and students.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the instructors the back pay that you owe them. Do the right thing for your former instructors and your students. It's the only way to salvage your once-pristine reputation.

Very professional, easy going staffing department, really helpful to me.

Graphic Artist (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe staffing department helped me a lot after I was laid off from my previous job, and lead me to my current position with a company that I love. Even though it was only supposed to be temporary, I was hired full time in July. Always professional and knowledgeable about the kind of work I was interested in and let me know about any jobs that could be a match for me.

ConsReceived a lot of e-mails about jobs I wasn't qualified for. Sometimes there are no assignments ready as soon as one ends, but that is a usual temp agency thing. Didn't always receive feedback on work.

Was once a great organization, now they don't pay their contractors.

Contractor With EEI Communications (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsFor many, many years, EEI Communications was the premiere training, editing, and staffing organization in the Washington, DC area.

ConsCurrent management made a decision—and actually announced it in a company-wide meeting—that to save money and keep the company afloat, they would not pay their contractors in a timely manner for the work already delivered. Multiple lawsuits followed (monies were paid in full only after papers were filed with the Alexandria Courthouse), and those who could find work elsewhere moved on.

Advice to Senior ManagementEthical companies pay their contractors for the work that they deliver. That new website looks slick, but settling up with the few loyal contractors that you have left would have been a much better investment in the future of EEI Communications.

Irresponsible company

Instructor (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThis would be great business with the right managment

ConsNon-payment of contractors,
    inexcusable business practices including response to queries
    dishonest managers

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up management and pay your contractors

A grossly flawed business plan

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsSkilled staff, decent equipment and software, competent managers who know the processes that they are overseeing, generous time-off for actual staff (sorry contractors!)

ConsRegular staff being forced into contract positions and then pushed into bidding against each other over jobs -- a move made to save money on benefits and staff down-time... but the biggest issue at the company is the GROSSLY imbalanced ratio between producers (people making the actual products) and upper level managers... there are easily 3 managers for every worker and it's a seriously broken business model

Advice to Senior ManagementEEI doesn't need 6 vice presidents when the company only has 50 employees in total... it's bizarre business decisions like that that put the outfit into such a money crunch

Avoid this company at all cost.

Contractor - Trainer (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsAt one time, this company was a premium organization. Contractors traveled from all around the country to work for this company. That was years ago, however.

ConsIn recent years, they have taken on the practice of NOT paying their contractors. Colleagues have outstanding invoices dating back over 12 months. Zero cooperation from management in resolving these issues, and they are far from truthful in dealing with these serious issues. Many contractors, me included, have had to take legal action to get paid for services rendered.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your bills. Treat your people with respect. We are (were) your biggest asset - and we have all left because of your disrespectful, dishonest and unsavory treatment of your contractors.

Worked for EEI Communications? Contribute to the Community!