EF Education First North America

EF Education First North America Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

EF Education First North America CEO Eddie Hult

Eddie Hult

Pros
  • They offer opportunities to travel internationally for work (in 16 reviews)

• collaborative and supportive work environment (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • 2 - Work Life Balance - This can be seasonal but EF is definitely a place where work can take over your life (in 8 reviews)

• Bonuses are very difficult to hit and the pay is low, so there is high turnover (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

A normal esl teaching job.

ESL Teacher (Current Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsYou are not constantly being watched by upper management. You get to do what you want in the classroom for the most part.

ConsPay isn't great when you considered added time to lesson plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more. Don't rotate kids so often.

Language instructor at EF Cambridge/Brighton

ESL Instructor (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Proscool people, young, vibrant atmosphere

Conscontracted positions are treated as expendable.

Great place to start your career, but move on after 2-3 years.

Marketing (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe company is great for people right out of college and that have an interest in education and travel. Their new office is stunning, with a fantastic open-layout and beautiful park outside. The office culture is fast-paced, where people work hard and play hard. EF is great for taking care of its employees, as there are often free meals served and plenty of opportunities for travel. 80% of the Cambridge office is sales staff, who are a little cliquey, so you need to find your niche. EF also offers a great benefits package (medical, dental, vision) and will match your 401k up to 25% over 5 years (which is just okay).

ConsManagement is slow to make decisions, and at times very weak. There also isn't a lot of help with career development, and although they preach about innovating educational travel, it is clear that their main mission is to make as much money as possible, as their trips still skimp travelers as much as possible. They use curriculum development and their "innovation" products as tools to sell their bread-and-butter European trips.

If you start as a Sales Associate it is extremely difficult to move up, even if you have fantastic sales numbers. When you hit your sales goals you get bonuses, but be careful because if you make too many bonuses the company may 1) not promote you to a new position because they want to keep you in sales, or 2) let you go because they can always find a cheaper alternative. This job is all about selling trips and it can be extremely cutthroat at times. Bonuses are very difficult to hit and the pay is low, so there is high turnover.

If you work in marketing be prepared to fit your creative ideas into the "EF voice". EF has a proven, time-tested way of doing things and they are very slow to adopt new ideas and methodologies. Also, if you have a good idea (even a very small one), you seemingly need to get it approved by 3-5 different Directors, which slows the momentum of a project.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly innovate your products and improve communication with staff members. Also try and support your employees better by helping to advance their careers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, great company to work for!

ProsIf you are passionate about international travel, cultural exchange and study abroad this is the company for you. Fast paced environment, and great atmosphere. Lots of opportunities to keep you challenged and growing professionally. Great benefits and travel opportunities.

ConsHigh turnover, salary reviews tend to be low.

A place to call home

Academic Director (Current Employee)

ProsYou can make your job your own with a lot of latitude to define it the way it suits you. Colleagues are great and smart, which makes the job easy to get up for. I have been permitted to research information as needed to help our school. I would highly recommend having a job like this at least once in your lifetime.

ConsSalary is unsustainable, but the benefits if you are full-time are outstanding. Recommendation: find a rich husband!

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about more liberal compensation packages for middle management. It might create more stability in the products created.

"Enjoyable"

ESL Teacher (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsYou can work from if you want to be an ESL teacher. The students are wonderful. You get emails if something is wrong with the teaching system. There is much flexibility and you can work however many hours you want.

ConsIt is a contracting position. You have to figure out how to work the Adobe Connect system on your own. The pay is low. The grading system is complicated.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that it would be a good idea to increase pay as you accumulate experience and if you have a college degree already I think that it would be wise to not start them off with a salary so low.

Okay for a first job out of college.

Tour Consultant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsFun and young group of co-workers in a cool location .

ConsHigh turn over, low salary, not much room for growth and long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending money on the cool parties and pay attention to your employees.

Big company, Not a lot of transparency and little room for promotion

ESL Instructor (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery team oriented and an interesting and dynamic setting to work in. Very rewarding to shard cultures and learn a lot about the world along the way.

ConsLong hours, low pay, minimal raises and any promotion will see a (perhaps) small bump in pay with a lot of added responsibility and stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clearer and move direct with directives, fight to keep good, effective, popular employees. Have plans in place to quickly replace employees who do inevitably go on to bigger and better things. Offer more health benefits to employees as well.

Teacher

EF English Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsI work with an amazing staff, great students, and have a lot of freedom to teach the way I like. It's a good testing ground for newish teachers to get their feet wet.

ConsNo paid vacation. Constant insistence on "flexibility." Senior management makes it very obvious that retaining good teachers is at the bottom of their priorities, often going so far as to call teachers "spoiled." No paid planning periods. Little forethought. Little opportunity for growth. Dangled carrots and broken promises.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your teachers. They are your product and often the difference between a sales offices' lies being managed or becoming total disasters. There is zero incentive for qualified teachers to work here and continue working here as anything other than a placeholder between companies/schools.

Paradise for problem-solvers

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThere are huge opportunities for analysts and developers. Since EF is a traditionally sales- and relationship-focused company, there's lots of room to optimize, deploy new technology, and create new processes. I've learned a ton and been given far more responsibility than I would at most companies.

ConsThe company can be resistant to change. EF (at least in Boston) is usually not an innovator in product or technology -- I would describe my division's strategy as "don't rock the boat." Sometimes I feel that the culture values Getting Along over making tough choices to grow the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't rotate people so frequently, especially at the management level. Find stellar people who are willing to commit several years to their roles, and work to retain them. We especially need people who are willing to master the details of marketing, CRMs, web development, finance; i.e., well-rounded people who understand the business from every angle, not just sales or "management."

Worked for EF Education First North America? Contribute to the Community!