EF Education First North America

EF Education First North America Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

EF Education First North America CEO Eddie Hult

Eddie Hult

Pros:
  • "They offer opportunities to travel internationally for work"
    in 15 reviews
  • "collaborative and supportive work environment"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "2 - Work Life Balance - This can be seasonal but EF is definitely a place where work can take over your life"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Long hours during peak seasons, even when it wasn't enhancing productivity"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A place to call home

Academic Director (Current Employee)

ProsYou can make your job your own with a lot of latitude to define it the way it suits you. Colleagues are great and smart, which makes the job easy to get up for. I have been permitted to research information as needed to help our school. I would highly recommend having a job like this at least once in your lifetime.

ConsSalary is unsustainable, but the benefits if you are full-time are outstanding. Recommendation: find a rich husband!

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about more liberal compensation packages for middle management. It might create more stability in the products created.

Great people, great company to work for!

ProsIf you are passionate about international travel, cultural exchange and study abroad this is the company for you. Fast paced environment, and great atmosphere. Lots of opportunities to keep you challenged and growing professionally. Great benefits and travel opportunities.

ConsHigh turnover, salary reviews tend to be low.

Language instructor at EF Cambridge/Brighton

ESL Instructor (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

Proscool people, young, vibrant atmosphere

Conscontracted positions are treated as expendable.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Enjoyable"

ESL Teacher (Current Employee)
    Phila, PA

ProsYou can work from if you want to be an ESL teacher. The students are wonderful. You get emails if something is wrong with the teaching system. There is much flexibility and you can work however many hours you want.

ConsIt is a contracting position. You have to figure out how to work the Adobe Connect system on your own. The pay is low. The grading system is complicated.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that it would be a good idea to increase pay as you accumulate experience and if you have a college degree already I think that it would be wise to not start them off with a salary so low.

Teacher

EF English Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsI work with an amazing staff, great students, and have a lot of freedom to teach the way I like. It's a good testing ground for newish teachers to get their feet wet.

ConsNo paid vacation. Constant insistence on "flexibility." Senior management makes it very obvious that retaining good teachers is at the bottom of their priorities, often going so far as to call teachers "spoiled." No paid planning periods. Little forethought. Little opportunity for growth. Dangled carrots and broken promises.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your teachers. They are your product and often the difference between a sales offices' lies being managed or becoming total disasters. There is zero incentive for qualified teachers to work here and continue working here as anything other than a placeholder between companies/schools.

Fun, fast-paced and very challenging

Director (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsThe work itself is literally life-changing for our customers.
    The people who work here are young, passionate and energetic.
    The opportunity to travel internationally is incredible.
    The environment is very entrepreneurial and innovative; no shortage of exciting changes.
    Everyone is expected to take ownership of their work and act with autonomy.
    There is no linear career path. If you're a rock star, you can move around and try new things.
    Very flat environment, not really hierarchical. Everyone is accessible, including c-suite.

ConsI've seen some leaders of products or divisions do a poor job of change management. Moving fast can be a good thing, but it's really disruptive and demotivating if you don't take into account how to bring the team along with you and involve them in those changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your senior leaders time to work strategically on change initiatives and have more communication and involvement down the chain. Changing directions every three months can get frustrating for everyone involved.

Paradise for problem-solvers

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsThere are huge opportunities for analysts and developers. Since EF is a traditionally sales- and relationship-focused company, there's lots of room to optimize, deploy new technology, and create new processes. I've learned a ton and been given far more responsibility than I would at most companies.

ConsThe company can be resistant to change. EF (at least in Boston) is usually not an innovator in product or technology -- I would describe my division's strategy as "don't rock the boat." Sometimes I feel that the culture values Getting Along over making tough choices to grow the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't rotate people so frequently, especially at the management level. Find stellar people who are willing to commit several years to their roles, and work to retain them. We especially need people who are willing to master the details of marketing, CRMs, web development, finance; i.e., well-rounded people who understand the business from every angle, not just sales or "management."

Okay for a first job out of college.

Tour Consultant (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsFun and young group of co-workers in a cool location .

ConsHigh turn over, low salary, not much room for growth and long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending money on the cool parties and pay attention to your employees.

Big company, Not a lot of transparency and little room for promotion

ESL Instructor (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsVery team oriented and an interesting and dynamic setting to work in. Very rewarding to shard cultures and learn a lot about the world along the way.

ConsLong hours, low pay, minimal raises and any promotion will see a (perhaps) small bump in pay with a lot of added responsibility and stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clearer and move direct with directives, fight to keep good, effective, popular employees. Have plans in place to quickly replace employees who do inevitably go on to bigger and better things. Offer more health benefits to employees as well.

Emotionally but not fiscally rewarding

ESL Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful coworkers and good leadership. I appreciated the autonomy and flexibility of this position. It's a fun job and the students are lovely. I felt very supported by the management.

ConsESL teacher pay is pretty rock-bottom. You do TONS more work outside of your "work hours" that are not compensated. You may teach for 6 hours a day, but likely you're spending an extra 6 hours at home planning lessons, grading, doing paperwork. This amount of effort is required from you but is not acknowledged. Also, probably due to the low pay, turnover is quite high.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore pay for out of classroom work hours! Recognize what your teachers have to do to live up to your expectations of their work, and reward them for it.

Worked for EF Education First North America? Contribute to the Community!

EF Education First North America Videos

EF Education First North America – Why Work for Us?

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EF Education First North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EF Education First North America CEO Eddie Hult. All 147 reviews posted anonymously by EF Education First North America employees.