EF Education First North America

EF Education First North America Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

EF Education First North America CEO Eddie Hult

Eddie Hult

Pros:
  • "They offer opportunities to travel internationally for work"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Great and young work environment - Great balance work/life - Great benefits (paid vacation, health insurance)"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "2 - Work Life Balance - This can be seasonal but EF is definitely a place where work can take over your life"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Finding the right fit for the job can be difficult and it makes the company appear to have high turnover"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lifestyle Company - Mission, People, Perks

I have been working at EF Education First North America full-time

ProsIf you connect to EF's mission, and are mission driven - it will be a good fit.

The people are awesome.

The office is beautiful and the location is great.

The benefits and perks exceed norms.

Working on programs related to international study/travel, language programs, and exchange is fun. I would guess that it is easier to connect with and experience what your work is at EF more so than in some other industries or products/services.

ConsYou have to pay your dues and really excel in your role to move "up." That being said it's a pretty flat organization. Some people can't handle the peaks and valleys of the work year. When it's slow, it's slow, when it's busy, it's demanding. Regarding compensation - you give up a fat salary to work at a lifestyle company.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in employees - you are wasting money and time with turnover (although I do believe it is improving). This should be embraced as a strategy for overall growth.

Map out career development in a way that feels a bit more clear and accessible.

Hire more part time staff during "peaks" - it could empower full-time employees?

Good start as a frist job in tourism

Area Manager (Former Employee)
Lucerne, KS

I worked at EF Education First North America full-time for more than a year

Pros- motivated young crowd, very international friendly and helpfull
- responsability from day one with decision power (within certain framework)
- great office with lake view
- high learining curve and great negotiation training

Cons- there is no real HR department, employee development happens only on the job other than that it s up to your own organisation
- also difficult to change from one product to another e.e from incoming tours to au pair or highschool year

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more in people (time and money) to reduce fluctuaion

A Lively Learning Experience

I have been working at EF Education First North America

ProsAbundant opportunities to learn for self-motivated, personable, bright individuals whom are willing to work hard. Fun environment, passionate culture, incredible people.

ConsWorking long hours is a regular occurrence that often feels thankless.

Positive experience

Compliance Intern (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First North America as an intern for less than a year

ProsReally fun, young company. Supportive environment, encouraging of movement and promotion.

ConsA lot of hard work that requires late hours

Teaching assistant

I have been working at EF Education First North America

ProsA fun place to work for.

ConsHard to get promotions unless you have a long time experience in EF

It's for you if you want it to be for you.

Senior Tour Consultant (Current Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EF Education First North America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe reason there aren't a ton of raving reviews on here is because if you want to succeed at EF, you need to be good at what you do and you need to work hard. The sales people that succeed here are GREAT sales people. The ones who don't choose to blame the company when in reality- they just suck at sales.

ConsAccount management- you're expected to grow your goal while also maintaining an absurd amount of accounts. Being a detail-oriented sales person is an oxymoron.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your top sales people. Not with trips or even compensation, but with help. Assistants.Keep the best of the best around by giving them a helping hand instead of managing more and more accounts.

Amazing place to begin and advance your career

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Cambridge, MA

ProsI was hired out of college and it has been a rollercoaster ride ever since. They are a company that truly values their workforce and makes sure you are properly trained. Coming in with zero sales experience, I have had consistent coaching and support that has really allowed me to grow as an employee and open doors for advancement. Because of this job I have been able to see the world and establish a strong network of incredible people. Also, the parties and lingo (work bar) are pretty cool too!

ConsThe downsides to the job are compensation and consistency with staff and management. These things due cause frustrations at times, but overall the pros outweigh the cons.

Fun International Company with a great mission!

I have been working at EF Education First North America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEF has a great mission to inspire the next generation of global citizens by breaking down barriers of language culture and geography. If you love to travel, are excited to help others discover the world, and like working with international colleagues, then EF is definitely the right place.

EF is never boring. I've been with EF for over 10 years and have had the opportunity to live abroad for several years working in different EF offices. I've had many different roles within EF and have had the opportunity to move around a bit between the various products. Every time I think I'm getting a bit bored, a new challenge or opportunity presents itself.

Expect to meet passionate hardworking people at EF who love to travel and explore the world. The atmosphere is generally positive and lively with a strong entrepreneurial spirit and nothing is impossible attitude. Vacation benefits are generous with 3 weeks initially and 4 after your first year in addition to the 10 standard holidays. Once you've been there for awhile, you can accrue up to 6 weeks vacation.

ConsEF is a company that works hard and plays hard. You have to be up for the challenge. Work/lief balance can be difficult but definitely not impossible. Passion is often rewarded over expertise - which is both good and bad. With very little hierarchy and often loosely defined roles and responsibilities, things can seem a bit chaotic. You have to be a bit of a go-getter and be able to handle a bit of ambiguity. Employees are expected to make their own path and are encouraged to promote their ideas. This can be intimidating for some. There is a strong EF culture and you're either going to love it or you'll realize fairly quickly it's not right for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementEF is a huge company and each product does amazing things. But the products are very independent and exist in silos and it sometimes feels like each product is reinventing the wheel rather than finding synergies and ways to work together. There could be better knowledge share among products even if it's more informal - i.e. getting Directors and managers together just to talk, share ideas and talk about common issues.

A fun and challenging work environment.

Senior Tour Consultant (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

ProsTravel--bottom line is the best perk of the job. Amazing benefits, fun getaways and in-office competition that drive success with awards too! A company that is pioneering the customer experience and evolving educational travel to be the international leader.

ConsFinding the right fit for the job can be difficult and it makes the company appear to have high turnover. This has improved in the last two years. If you work hard, you'll do well but you have to work hard and that means putting in a lot of extra time. Not a 40 hr a week gig.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to higher people who are more qualified and better than current employees. This will help drive success of current employees. Pay people who work hard more money. They will leave the company if you don't create economic growth potential.

Continue to offer professional development opportunities for current employees. They will leave the company if they do not feel they are growing and become stagnant.

Fun, hard-working company

Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First North America full-time for more than 5 years

Prosinternational travel opportunities
collaborative and supportive work environment
awesome company mission that everyone's passionate about
no cubicles
work hard, play hard mentality
fun company retreats
benefits package (health, dental, 401K, etc.)
lots of vacation time (starts at 3 weeks)
lots of opportunities for lateral movement and promotions

Conslow salary
limited training on professional development (but getting better, they know they need to offer more)
high turn-over

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries to keep talent from leaving

Worked for EF Education First North America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EF Education First North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EF Education First North America CEO Eddie Hult. All 146 reviews posted anonymously by EF Education First North America employees.