EF Education First North America

Updated December 16, 2014
3.5

EF Education First North America CEO Eddie Hult
Eddie Hult

Pros
  • They offer opportunities to travel internationally for work (in 16 reviews)

• Great and young work environment - Great balance work/life - Great benefits (paid vacation, health insurance) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • 2 - Work Life Balance - This can be seasonal but EF is definitely a place where work can take over your life (in 9 reviews)

• Bonuses are very difficult to hit and the pay is low, so there is high turnover (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Mobile Engineering Team

Former Employee - Mobile Engineering Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Mobile Engineering Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at EF Education First North America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This is a very small, but highly motivated team. They are willing to give interns a lot of runway to self-manage your project, so you will learn a lot of technical skills as well as management skills working here. Everyone on the team is fantastic and it is like a second family.

Cons

The development you do here will be less exploratory than at other companies. The work you are assigned usually comes from senior level management at the company, so you won't really get the opportunity to choose your own project.

Amazing energy at this company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EF Education First North America full-time

Pros

There is amazing flexibility to do what you want to do. You have room to grow. There are high expectations but you are given the resources to succeed. It has the opposite feel or corporate America. There is a great energy about the place. A lot of enthusiasm. There is great opportunity to travel. Good / Great benefits (vacation time, health, travel).

Cons

Given that most of the talent is grown internally, the pay scale is generally on the lower end of what you would find elsewhere. Depending on the dept you work for, It's balanced by the opportunity to be promoted. It's a wonderful atmosphere for the young but not very welcoming to employee's families. Significant others are almost never invited to any event and among those who it affects, there's a concensus that it creates friction at home.

Work on family inclusion to keep senior staff.

Fun Company, Low pay

Former Employee - Travel Operations Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Travel Operations Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First North America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly, constructive environment. Decent hours. Fun holiday parties.

Cons

Low compensation, long waiting list for paid parking spaces.

Bad experience

Former Employee - Regional Account Coordinator in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Regional Account Coordinator in Cambridge, MA

I worked at EF Education First North America

Pros

Young company and cool new buildings to work in.

Cons

I was hired under one job but given a completely different job when I started. It turned out to be customer service and my manager just hounded me and pushed me everyday while I was there. I would field the most calls everyday and help the most people but never got any praise for it. I only got reprimanded because I didn't sell enough of the bogus extras they forced down all their customers throats.

Let up on the selling. Its not more important than letting your employees help the customers effectively.

Regional Placement Manager

I have been working at EF Education First North America

Pros

The people are great and placing students is really fun

Cons

The hours are very long in the summertime. I didn't see much career growth

Eh

I have been working at EF Education First North America

Pros

This company is a decent place to start a career if you majored in something you don't really want to follow through with. The culture is great, but only for 20-somethings - lots of partying, drinking, etc.

Cons

Very low starting salaries and not very much room for growth. They don't seem to care about keeping people on and progressing them, they just hire new people.

Might want to consider putting some more resources into your employees. Most of them don't feel appreciated.

RA at EF Miami Beach

Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Miami Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at EF Education First North America part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing staff, incredible location, wonderful international community, an environment that really allows you to develop, express, and be your true self.

Cons

small salary (expected), cafeteria's food is typically of mediocre quality, seemingly haphazard allocation of money by superior management, sometimes rude students

Improve the cafeteria, the elevator, and put the rest toward improving the building with only what's essential! An electronic card entry system would be an outstanding benefit as well.

A great place to transition from college to the work force

Current Employee - Tour Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tour Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First North America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

An incredibly infectious positive attitude surrounds this company and it's values and breathes within its employees. A very established company, yet room to grow and create your own career at. Definitely know how to work hard and also play hard (we have a bar/cafe in our building).

Cons

Under paid for the amount of work/time put in and rather spend their money heavily on company events/culture/PR. Full benefits though

Dream job

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

I couldn't imagine a better place to work. The first and most important aspect of the workplace is the people and the culture. With an open floor plan, the interaction and collaboration makes coming to work feel like going home to your family. Add on top of that fantastic benefits, multiple opportunities a year for both domestic and international travel, a restaurant and bar right in the building, and inspiring, motivating, and fun leadership - nothing beats working at EF.

Cons

I've had only positive experiences here, but one thing that some people say is that getting a promotion isn't about how long you've been here, it's about the impact you've made and how you've made yourself known throughout the company. If you're looking for a company who promotes based on seniority, this isn't it.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Tour Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Tour Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EF Education First North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Each department is different but if you find the right fit you will be very happy and thrive. Management goes above and beyond to motivate TOP PERFORMERS. Work hard, live the core values, and you will succeed

Cons

Each department is very different and they don't collaborate very often. This makes it difficult to share ideas but also to transfer internally because there is little internal communication.

Learn from eachother's best practices. Don't get stuck in your old ways, and pay top performers what they deserve (not just in travel).

EF Education First North America Photos