EF Education First Reviews

386 reviews filtered by
3.3
EF Education First CEO Eddie Hult
Eddie Hult

Pros
  • They offer opportunities to travel internationally for work (in 16 reviews)

• Great and young work environment - Great balance work/life - Great benefits (paid vacation, health insurance) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • 2 - Work Life Balance - This can be seasonal but EF is definitely a place where work can take over your life (in 9 reviews)

• Bonuses are very difficult to hit and the pay is low, so there is high turnover (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Entrepreneurial and passionate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EF Education First

Pros

While EF is a large company, it operates like a much smaller one. EF is very entrepreneurial and empowers employees at all levels. Compared to other companies EF has a very flat organizational structure. EF has a very strong culture and people are extremely passionate about working here. Humility goes a long way at EF. While some folks do leave after a few years at the entry level, there are a lot of managers and above who have grown up at EF and had very interesting careers in many different businesses and/or locations. I have seen many examples where EF values strong people as individuals and finds the right opportunities for them.

Cons

EF is the perfect place for self starters but the flip side is it's not a great place for people who need heavier detailed direction on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in growing the business - there are a lot of great opportunities to pursue!

2. Fantastic training opportunities.

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Training and development, great teamwork, and a sense of job fulfillment. A lot of people stay in the company.

Cons

The weekend schedule for teachers can make it difficult to find a work/life balance, but most people adjust to this easily.

Advice to Management

Keep training your teachers!

3. Sr Tour Consultant

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Travel, Creative People, Lots of Energy, Management Cares, Opportunities to try something new and different even if you arent qualified.

Cons

Pay isn't great. Sometimes the scrappy, we'll figure it out mentality, stops people from proactively anticipating issues. Some problems with follow through. Sometimes too much College 2.0

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, explore employee motivations but go deeper when you do.

5. Great Job

I have been working at EF Education First

Pros

Lots of autonomy, hard work is rewarded and much more!

Cons

Occasional long hours, work life balance could be improved

6. Relaxed atmosphere, great students, good methodology, underwhelming salary, very few opportunities for promotion

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at EF Education First as a contractor

Pros

It was a pretty chill job. I never woke up thinking "aww damn I gotta go to work". Sometimes I actually looked forward to it. The students are great. Management and the structure of the company is actually remarkably organized. I rarely felt stressed.

Cons

The salary is subpar. We can talk about living standards in China and all that but in the back of my mind I just didn't feel fairly compensated no matter what metric you used. Also, there are very few growth opportunities, which leads to incredibly high turnover. The best you can hope for is to go from "teacher" to "senior teacher" after a couple of years, which is a change mostly in name only. You could also become a center manager, but you'll be pretty much in it for the long haul in that case.

Advice to Management

I don't think I'm asking for an exorbitant amount, just something more FAIR. More promotional opportunities would be nice as well, but I think the high turnover rate is no accident. A lot of the teachers aren't looking to stay for a long time, and I think upper management knows that, so just keep the wheel turning I suppose. Overall though, I think it's a good place to work, even if it's just a pit stop.

7. I was a photographer assistant for EF.

I worked at EF Education First

Pros

Good employers, friendly and nice

Cons

Not that I can think of

Work hard, play hard - err, work really really hard, play sometimes.

I have been working at EF Education First (More than 5 years)

Pros

You're hired into a team of people who will become your best friends. If you're even remotely good at sales, you'll flourish here. There is always something going on, and always something to join - running club, weight loss competitions, language classes, volunteer opportunities, etc. Also: Lingo Bar & Grill - you can get all your meals under one roof, and the cocktails are great! You can help create your own role once you've proven yourself, and turn your job into something you really love. Also - hands down, best medical benefits around.

Cons

Once the perks lose their glow, you'll realize the compensation isn't quite sufficient. If you're one of those workers who has trouble saying no to new tasks - or at least doesn't know when it's appropriate to say no - this is the kind of place that will swallow you whole. It's not all the company's fault, it's not all your fault - but it will happen, and you could burn out.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that you offer travel as an incentive/perk to staff - don't limit the only travel experiences your staff have to airport hotels. Let your staff see you work, because the second your staff start to question whether or not you do anything, that's the minute you've lost that employee.

9. Great place to work in

Current Intern - --- in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - --- in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great managers
    Environment open to new ideas
    A lot of internal networking

Cons

Lack of data driven decisions

10. Awesome company to work for, especially if you're young

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, opportunity to move around, great work-life balance, opportunity for travel, fun environment, young people, training and learning opportunities, volunteering, good employee recognition, great in general

Cons

Some cons are that horizontal movement is easier than vertical, pay is really not high enough, especially for entry-level (of course), but that's pretty much it

Advice to Management

Make sure that you're paying your employees enough, even if they're young. That really would be my only advice, because everything else you do is great

English as a second language teacher

Current Employee - EF English Teacher in Miami Beach, FL
    Current Employee - EF English Teacher in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at EF Education First part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is right next to the beach. You can see the ocean from the classrooms. The school has its own cafeteria and swimming pool. You get a discount at the cafeteria. You get one free meal a week and the rest of the meals are five dollars. They have an iPad class, which is very appropriate for this generation. The majority of the staff members are nice and make for an amazing work environment. You have freedom to be innovative with you classes. There is no micromanaging, nor will anyone try to force you to be a specific type of teacher. You are recognized for your own strengths as a teacher by others. The former manager Lindsay was very nice and would often reward teachers with snacks or just praise, which was always a nice surprise.

Cons

You are not paid for prep time. You may be hired full time, but you will never be given full time hours. You have no health insurance benefits or any other benefits of worth. When the enrollment is low, they cut your hours, especially if you are a new teacher. There is a lot of crime in Miami, and it makes its way to the school. Management does not adequately deal with incidents of crime. Management is not great at dealing with issues brought to them from both students and teachers. Students are often seen waiting for an appointment outside closed office doors, but management has already left. The way problems are dealt with and the way people are spoken to by management is highly unprofessional. The students smoke in front of the school, which makes it look like a party school and forces people to walk through a thick cloud of smoke to enter the school. I would hold my breath every time I walked into the school. Due to the location and image, you get a lot of students who are not serious and prefer to go to the beach or party rather than come to class. It makes your job as teacher twice as hard because you have to compete with the beach and work to extra hard to galvanize unmotivated students.

Advice to Management

This is directed to past, current, and future management. Please hire people who are properly trained in management and good managers. Try to be professional. Try to put the students first because without them, you would not have a job. Please do something to increase the security and safety of the school. Do not make false promises to get people to work there.

EF Education First Photos