EFI

EFI Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

EFI CEO and Director Guy Gecht

Guy Gecht

Pros:
  • "Great Work-life balance (Much better than Koreans and Japs)"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Having a flexible work schedule is a bonus"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor HR policies, company runs at the whims of the senior management of US"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Upper Management feels it is more important to save money by sending jobs outside of the U"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great leadership only getting better.

ProsThe company is expanding at an enormous rate. They offer great pay and great incentive to work here.

ConsI cant honestly think of too many bad things to say other than there seems to be a bit of the "good ole boy" network when it comes to upper management.

Sr. Program Manager in Fiery Business Unit

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Foster City, CA

Pros- Talented bunch of people
    - Great collaborative culture
    - Clear messages/communication from the senior executives

Cons- A large group of the software development and testing talents are in Bangalore, India - too far away for the business hours, takes additional efforts in getting well coordinated.
    - Compensations - Less than the SF Bay Area average
    - Has allowed too many good talents to leave the company
    - Too much work for each individual (I felt like drinking from a fire hose), resulting in communication slugishness
    - Way too much importance placed on the company's bottom line (although I understand it's very important)
    - Because of some or all mentioned above, the majority of people are stressed
    - Unclear whether the digital printing industry has a bright future

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps, the Fiery product's price-to-cost ratio is getting smaller. Although the prices are getting more and more competitive, the development cost must be rising. The senior managements' messages are always focused on "produce more with less", advocating the "lean and mean attitude". It seems it has been pushed as far as possible. To keep selling the same products, you could not continue reducing the work force unless the product's architecture were changed - simply put, it costs a lot to develop Fierys. The core brain power resides in Foster City, not in Bangalore (I hope those in Bangalore do not take this personally), so moving more work to India should not be the answer. it has to be something else. Unfortunately, I do not have a specific advice I can give. Though, I want my former colleagues to succeed.

Good experience, except for the pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart, friendly people
    Leader in digital print technology, as it is
    Comfortable work environment (in Foster City)
    - Note that this was in their Foster City location. I understand they are moving to the East Bay.

ConsThe Fiery business is slowly sinking as the general printing business shrinks, and it seems to be a cash cow. Other areas may be better (like large format VUTEK or the Applications management businesses).
    Pay is below average in the industry. Bonuses are small. Raises are small. RSUs (if you get them) are small.
    Extra work is generally expected to "get the job done". Weekends and late nights are not uncommon.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe stock is above 30 finally. Look for a buyer.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people. Management and direction of company is a work in progress.

Senior Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsI really loved the people and my immediate managers. For most of my career there, my immediate managers trusted me and let me try on new things.

ConsAs company grew, the culture changed a lot. It became less about rewarding people for great work, more about money, and political. Training is scare if you aren't on the "chosen" list.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to think through things versus looking at money. Never forget that your employees contribute greatly to your success, so it pays to treat them all well.

Lots of Potential, Need to Harness the Energy

People Manager (Current Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsFreedom to do what I please. I can foresee a problem, select my own project, gather other interested members to partner with, and drive to solve the problem with complete autonomy.

ConsHaving complete autonomy means I can introduce a solution without approval from stakeholders. I can develop a product without any insight into what the market really wants and needs. I can invest money without the prospect of ROI or a prognosis for future revenue with the product. I can release something with poor quality (not that I know because we do not benchmark criteria to determine "good" quality that is mutually acceptable to our customer base) and pass it to Tech Support without their buy-in and with very little information on how to support this product.

Advice to Senior ManagementTighter checks and balances over projects. While admirable that we can all run with our ideas, every individual is not equipped with the tools to plan projects, costing analysis, variable cost of manufacture, projections, predictive monitoring, and many other aspects needed for a sound project. Projects should not pass checkpoints without fully satisfying the requirements for that stage. If we have not met them, then we should repeat the stage so that we get it right. Our customers depend on us to do the needful in this regard.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great culture, but document everything twice

Software Quality Engineer (Current Employee)
    Saint Paul, MN

ProsThe work-life balance is supported, the benefits are excellent and most of your colleagues are genuinely team players. Training receives some support, particularly if you pursue it yourself. Casual atmosphere, casual attire, and flexible schedules are good, and when I worked there, the company closed down just prior to the Christmas holidays and reopened after New Year's day. HR people are generally excellent and helpful.

ConsDocument everything you are directed to do, and keep copies of your performance reviews. Some managers, including project managers, have very flexible memories, and if you have the necessary documentation, it can save you. You need to watch your back, even from your own team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to better inform your managers what is legal and ethical in terms of dealing with your immediate reports, both while they are still employed at the company and after they leave.

Fast-paced high tech company that rewards productivity and creativity

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Meredith, NH

ProsSmart people from many different engineering disciplines all working together to bring innovative technologies to market, set in a beautiful location.

ConsSome of the facilities are old and run-down looking. Priorities are constantly changing. Difficult to lure top-quality engineers to this location.

Great people but pay scale is below industry average

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsLots of flexibility, best people I've worked with in my entire career. Most people have good attitude and helpful.

ConsCompany is a bit unorganized. Continuing to buy up companies/competitors to gain market share but no process in integrating them into the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to increase your pay scale to meet the silicon valley standard if you want to keep your good people.

Great hopes, phony people, watch your back

Software Quality (Former Employee)
    Saint Paul, MN

ProsBenefits, flexibility with schedules, casual attire, most teams have good composition.

ConsRidiculous clique behavior, unprofessional backbiting and scapegoating, manager playing favorites. The people laid off the last few years are no surprise.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe wary your managers don't leave you open to lawsuits by referring to people's health issues. Encourage proper separation of manager and team familiarity and avoid favoritism.

Everyone knows this is nowhere

Technical Services Engineer (Current Employee)
    Meredith, NH

ProsThe people are the most important asset to this company

ConsThe company treats employees like toilet paper

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little money your employees, stop buying used furniture, fix the leaking roof.

Worked for EFI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EFI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EFI CEO Guy Gecht. All 179 reviews posted anonymously by EFI employees.