EFI

EFI Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

EFI CEO and Director Guy Gecht

Guy Gecht

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance, good product lineage, easy work schedule & flexible project timelines"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Having a flexible work schedule is a bonus"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor HR policies, company runs at the whims of the senior management of US"
    in 9 reviews
  • "The company's upper management makes decisions as often as the wind changes direction"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Challenging environment in the Inkjet group

Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at EFI full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCorporate vision is well defined
Technology was way ahead, loosing steam to the competition
position in the software side

ConsManagement behavior towards employees in Meredith
lack of departmental experts in specific fields
each business unit runs its own show
Product launches are always delayed

Advice to Senior ManagementMeredith Management should put down the stick, that's so 1970's management style. You achieve much more with a comprehensive, employee focused approach.

Excellent place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at EFI full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly environment, helpful colleagues, immense support from high end, Scope to learn lot more

Conswhat do I say when I am enjoying the work. We just need to keep on improving

Perfectly mediocre

QA Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at EFI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, nice perks, pay is good, food is good, very relaxed working atmosphere.

ConsPrint servers are dying. Who prints? Nobody. This company will keep chugging along bouncing up and down, and if you like that, then it's perfect.

Advice to Senior ManagementQA engineers are ignorant of TRUE qa practices. Development engineers are almost totally isolated. The division between QA and Dev is blurred more and more these days. You should teach the QA engineers to code their tests. You should teach the development engineers to expose the code to other parties.

There are lots of other companies to work for in the Bay Area

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at EFI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Nice view of the bay and the San Mateo bridge from the building.
-Close to the shopping center.

Cons-No career mobility. Even though you do as you're asked and show personal and career growth, there's no promotions.
-Peers reviews were a waste of time. Some people chose friends to review them rather than all internal business contacts to review their work. This leads to inflated review scores.
-Salary increases workers got were a joke, if we got any at all.
-Poor salaries = poor engineers. If you want better engineers, you have to pay for them.
-The company making you take time off whether you wanted to or not. These were called CTOs
-Some products that were full of bugs were still shipped. The rationale was because we needed to make the schedule and there was no concern for end user perception of EFI, nor the end user having a good experience with the products

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the workers. There were good ideas pitched by people in the past but for some reason, upper management ignored them and the status quo was maintained. Who knows where the company would be now if these ideas were acted upon.

Most dysfunctional company I've ever been associated with

Senior Mfg Engineer (Former Employee)
Meredith, NH

I worked at EFI full-time for less than a year

Pros- Safe, clean environment
- Decent benefits
- Talented mechanical design group
- Interesting, challenging work

Cons- Lacks upper level management leadership
- Development Group and Mfg Group have adversarial relationships
- New Products being pushed into Mfg before designs and testing is complete causing major issues with supplier delivery and huge amounts of rework in Mfg
- Mfg Management extremely negative and don't want to hear what's going well - only what's going wrong which results in figure pointing, unconstructive relationships, and hardworking, dedicated people losing their jobs becasue management won't take responsibility for anything.
- Multiple cultures under one roof; Development group generally very collaborative, Mfg Group managed by threats and bullying; my job was threatened only two weeks into my employment. Most companies you are still learning peoples names and where the bathrooms are after just two weeks.
- Mfg Management treats lower and mid-level employees like a fantasy football league. Rather than managing, leading, and removing barriers, they give you a month to figure it out, then let you go.
- Irresponsible employment practices. Once a temp, always a temp. Many employees having been working as temps with no benefits for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's 100% all about culture and leadership; Overhaul Mfg Management with people that live the advertised corporate culture. Otherwise, the clulture hype by the CEO become just "blah blah blah"; Treat people the way you expect to be treated; look in the mirrorand remember that your kids may someday work for people just like you. Based on what I experienced, that should make you very concerned.

Worst.Employer.Ever

I have been working at EFI full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFoster City location was nice, but EFI is moving to who knows where after selling the building to Gilead. The only pro of working here is being taken away.

ConsEverything from layoffs to budget cutbacks to no incentives to work hard. Every single expense has been scrutinized 10 times over. This company is no longer growing but is trying to prevent its own demise. The printing industry as a whole is dying and the Fiery business is dying with it. You often hear the CEO brag about record revenues and record profits, yet there are no raises, and select bonuses for those who are favorites of the VPs. After hearing of record breaking months and quarters, you get a lousy polo shirt and news that there are more budget cuts coming, and more outsourcing to the India location and that we need to work harder to make the numbers. EFI is about as good of an example of a corporation gone wrong as any.

Advice to Senior ManagementVPs are more worried about their image then the performance of the company. EFI only gives promotions without raises. Why? Why would anyone want more work and responsibilities for the same pay? Everyone feels like we are walking on eggshells for fear of upsetting the VPs by telling the truth. I think most of the company is either waiting to be laid off or is the process of looking to jump ship.

Easy work but Company has no growth potential

I worked at EFI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- People.
- Work is easy.
- Rarely challenged.

Cons- No growth expected.
- Executive Management is out of Ideas.
- Rarely challenged.
- Poor compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in new Ideas.

We are cheap, and don't care about our employees. - EFI motto.

I worked at EFI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Good co -workers
- Go location.
(Filing in to hit the 20 word minimum)

Cons- NON existent HR.
- Don't get trapped by the whole "Green card " thing. It's bonded labor with no pay, here.
- Work on bugs.
- No career development.
- Poor pay.
- Bad bonuses. (almost non existent)
- Promotion = more bugs, no pay. You either get a raise or a title change, dare you ask for both !
- Mandatory vacation. This gets deducted from the vacation time that you have accrued.
-Useless upper management. "We just like to play on our blackberries and have unproductive meetings."
-Poor cross team communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat us with respect lest don't be so shocked with the mass exodus of engineers leaving.

Something is better than nothing,

I worked at EFI

Pros1) good office location
2) flexible work environment

Cons1) No respect for people
2) Still using old technology
3) No growth
4) Very low Salaries
5) Lack of innovation
6) Mostly engineers work only on bugs. A very few people work on new development.
7) There is nothing to learn.
8) Lot of time to sit idle and doing nothing. I have seen many employees doing this.

Advice to Senior Management1) Talk to people and value them
2) bring innovative and young talent

It your good at playing the game and kissing up to management you'll love it!

Technical Services Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at EFI

ProsFlexible work environment, if you miss deadlines - no problem, everyone else does too so no big deal. Fridays in the summer are like half days in grade school after liquid lunch at the town docks you get to go home!

ConsLast min travel? Management has no issues asking if you'll leave now, like book a flight and don't spend to much time packing because you'll miss you flight kind of now. Management got 360 reviews one year and true store they promoted the one with the worst 360 review to director. Finally got raises after 3 years 2% increase, really no raises for 3 years and that's what employees deserve after the companies records a record year?

Advice to Senior ManagementMajor changes are needed. Not really sure where they should start or if it's worth it. Growth is coming from competitors who are dying because print industry is dead. Invest in digital displays is the best advice I could give them.

Worked for EFI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EFI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EFI CEO Guy Gecht. All 175 reviews posted anonymously by EFI employees.