EFI

Guy Gecht

52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I learned a lot.

Foster City, CA

ProsChallenging work, good people, great location. It can be an aggressive environment but I learned a lot from it that made me more marketable.

ConsToo much offshore (India). Aggressive environment. Not sure the future of this business is sound anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to be less aggressive with employees. It felt like the US was a sinking ship and that it would soon go almost offshore.

Good experience, except for the pay

ProsSmart, friendly people
    Leader in digital print technology, as it is
    Comfortable work environment (in Foster City)
    - Note that this was in their Foster City location. I understand they are moving to the East Bay.

ConsThe Fiery business is slowly sinking as the general printing business shrinks, and it seems to be a cash cow. Other areas may be better (like large format VUTEK or the Applications management businesses).
    Pay is below average in the industry. Bonuses are small. Raises are small. RSUs (if you get them) are small.
    Extra work is generally expected to "get the job done". Weekends and late nights are not uncommon.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe stock is above 30 finally. Look for a buyer.

Sr. Program Manager in Fiery Business Unit

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Foster City, CA

Pros- Talented bunch of people
    - Great collaborative culture
    - Clear messages/communication from the senior executives

Cons- A large group of the software development and testing talents are in Bangalore, India - too far away for the business hours, takes additional efforts in getting well coordinated.
    - Compensations - Less than the SF Bay Area average
    - Has allowed too many good talents to leave the company
    - Too much work for each individual (I felt like drinking from a fire hose), resulting in communication slugishness
    - Way too much importance placed on the company's bottom line (although I understand it's very important)
    - Because of some or all mentioned above, the majority of people are stressed
    - Unclear whether the digital printing industry has a bright future

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps, the Fiery product's price-to-cost ratio is getting smaller. Although the prices are getting more and more competitive, the development cost must be rising. The senior managements' messages are always focused on "produce more with less", advocating the "lean and mean attitude". It seems it has been pushed as far as possible. To keep selling the same products, you could not continue reducing the work force unless the product's architecture were changed - simply put, it costs a lot to develop Fierys. The core brain power resides in Foster City, not in Bangalore (I hope those in Bangalore do not take this personally), so moving more work to India should not be the answer. it has to be something else. Unfortunately, I do not have a specific advice I can give. Though, I want my former colleagues to succeed.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people. Management and direction of company is a work in progress.

Senior Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsI really loved the people and my immediate managers. For most of my career there, my immediate managers trusted me and let me try on new things.

ConsAs company grew, the culture changed a lot. It became less about rewarding people for great work, more about money, and political. Training is scare if you aren't on the "chosen" list.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to think through things versus looking at money. Never forget that your employees contribute greatly to your success, so it pays to treat them all well.

Lots of Potential, Need to Harness the Energy

People Manager (Current Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsFreedom to do what I please. I can foresee a problem, select my own project, gather other interested members to partner with, and drive to solve the problem with complete autonomy.

ConsHaving complete autonomy means I can introduce a solution without approval from stakeholders. I can develop a product without any insight into what the market really wants and needs. I can invest money without the prospect of ROI or a prognosis for future revenue with the product. I can release something with poor quality (not that I know because we do not benchmark criteria to determine "good" quality that is mutually acceptable to our customer base) and pass it to Tech Support without their buy-in and with very little information on how to support this product.

Advice to Senior ManagementTighter checks and balances over projects. While admirable that we can all run with our ideas, every individual is not equipped with the tools to plan projects, costing analysis, variable cost of manufacture, projections, predictive monitoring, and many other aspects needed for a sound project. Projects should not pass checkpoints without fully satisfying the requirements for that stage. If we have not met them, then we should repeat the stage so that we get it right. Our customers depend on us to do the needful in this regard.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great people but pay scale is below industry average

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsLots of flexibility, best people I've worked with in my entire career. Most people have good attitude and helpful.

ConsCompany is a bit unorganized. Continuing to buy up companies/competitors to gain market share but no process in integrating them into the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to increase your pay scale to meet the silicon valley standard if you want to keep your good people.

No Direction, Horrible Leadership

Foster City, CA

ProsI was there for a long time I guess that was a positive.

ConsThe management team, the review process, the lack of bonus and merit increases, the CTO's or known as Company Time Off they forced on you. I could go on.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease quit to allow others to bring in new ideas.

EFI Engineering Intern Review

QA Engineer (Former Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsGreat community, fun environment to work in.

ConsSome members were not as able in the company but were still being held there.

If you have a choice, just turn around and simply walk away........

Foster City, CA

ProsYou will learn first hand what you don't want your future employers to be. A bad experience is always a learning experience.

ConsEmployees are not valued in this company. Everything is about making the Execs richer at the expense of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's nothing I can say to these people that hasn't been said yet.

Pennywise, pound foolish, the company is lost

Foster City, CA

ProsGreat location (but moving soon)
    Good people (many of which have gone elsewhere since the current brain trust took over)

ConsCheap with money for R&D
    They don't care about the good people
    POOR business decisions hurt bottomline
    Spending too much on acquisitions with bad return
    No idea where they are heading

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to what EFI does well.
    Value your employees more
    Spend your money more wisely
    Upper management needs to get more in touch with what the people they "lead" actually do.

Worked for EFI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EFI reviews and ratings in Foster City, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EFI CEO Guy Gecht. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by EFI employees.