EFI

Updated January 24, 2015
2.9

EFI CEO and Director Guy Gecht
Guy Gecht

Pros
  • Great Work-life balance (Much better than Koreans and Japs) (in 21 reviews)

• Having a flexible work schedule is a bonus (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor HR policies, company runs at the whims of the senior management of US (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't understand what most departments do and what they need to do their jobs (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place for retirement.

Current Employee - QA Engineer - Hourly Contractor in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer - Hourly Contractor in Fremont, CA

I have been working at EFI as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Learned to puzzle out hard issues, communicate and getting good colleague relationships.

Cons

Some employees are working really hard, some of them NOT.
    Managers doesn't want to deal with employees requests.

Pay attention on who is doing his job, and who is wasting the time and company money.

Politics and Games

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meredith, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meredith, NH

I worked at EFI as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The people who worked here were excellent to work with. Newer management was also a pleasure to work for.

Cons

Older seasoned management plays games with contract employees and says one thing and does another.

Grow Up.

Great great great great great

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at EFI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management staff location career path

Cons

Cafeteria pasta veal chicken tuna

Better food

I very fast paced, fun experience where I learned a ton.

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It feels good working for a company with a dominant position in the industry and the marketing/trade show prep reinforces this. You have freedom to do what you need and product owners have great leeway. The culture is great and overall it was a fun experience where I learned a great deal.

Cons

From the software side, it is a collection of acquired products, nearly all of them old. The integration story is just that...mainly a story. You will get to know "the slide" pretty well - the miracle of every product seamlessly working together in one picture.

The velocity of the company is just too much for many people.

Great leadership only getting better.

I have been working at EFI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is expanding at an enormous rate. They offer great pay and great incentive to work here.

Cons

I cant honestly think of too many bad things to say other than there seems to be a bit of the "good ole boy" network when it comes to upper management.

Sr. Program Manager in Fiery Business Unit

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Talented bunch of people
    - Great collaborative culture
    - Clear messages/communication from the senior executives

Cons

- A large group of the software development and testing talents are in Bangalore, India - too far away for the business hours, takes additional efforts in getting well coordinated.
    - Compensations - Less than the SF Bay Area average
    - Has allowed too many good talents to leave the company
    - Too much work for each individual (I felt like drinking from a fire hose), resulting in communication slugishness
    - Way too much importance placed on the company's bottom line (although I understand it's very important)
    - Because of some or all mentioned above, the majority of people are stressed
    - Unclear whether the digital printing industry has a bright future

Perhaps, the Fiery product's price-to-cost ratio is getting smaller. Although the prices are getting more and more competitive, the development cost must be rising. The senior managements' messages are always focused on "produce more with less", advocating the "lean and mean attitude". It seems it has been pushed as far as possible. To keep selling the same products, you could not continue reducing the work force unless the product's architecture were changed - simply put, it costs a lot to develop Fierys. The core brain power resides in Foster City, not in Bangalore (I hope those in Bangalore do not take this personally), so moving more work to India should not be the answer. it has to be something else. Unfortunately, I do not have a specific advice I can give. Though, I want my former colleagues to succeed.

Good experience, except for the pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time

Pros

Smart, friendly people
    Leader in digital print technology, as it is
    Comfortable work environment (in Foster City)
    - Note that this was in their Foster City location. I understand they are moving to the East Bay.

Cons

The Fiery business is slowly sinking as the general printing business shrinks, and it seems to be a cash cow. Other areas may be better (like large format VUTEK or the Applications management businesses).
    Pay is below average in the industry. Bonuses are small. Raises are small. RSUs (if you get them) are small.
    Extra work is generally expected to "get the job done". Weekends and late nights are not uncommon.

The stock is above 30 finally. Look for a buyer.

Great people. Management and direction of company is a work in progress.

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really loved the people and my immediate managers. For most of my career there, my immediate managers trusted me and let me try on new things.

Cons

As company grew, the culture changed a lot. It became less about rewarding people for great work, more about money, and political. Training is scare if you aren't on the "chosen" list.

Take more time to think through things versus looking at money. Never forget that your employees contribute greatly to your success, so it pays to treat them all well.

Great culture, but document everything twice

Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at EFI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work-life balance is supported, the benefits are excellent and most of your colleagues are genuinely team players. Training receives some support, particularly if you pursue it yourself. Casual atmosphere, casual attire, and flexible schedules are good, and when I worked there, the company closed down just prior to the Christmas holidays and reopened after New Year's day. HR people are generally excellent and helpful.

Cons

Document everything you are directed to do, and keep copies of your performance reviews. Some managers, including project managers, have very flexible memories, and if you have the necessary documentation, it can save you. You need to watch your back, even from your own team members.

You need to better inform your managers what is legal and ethical in terms of dealing with your immediate reports, both while they are still employed at the company and after they leave.

Lots of Potential, Need to Harness the Energy

Current Employee - People Manager in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - People Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at EFI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to do what I please. I can foresee a problem, select my own project, gather other interested members to partner with, and drive to solve the problem with complete autonomy.

Cons

Having complete autonomy means I can introduce a solution without approval from stakeholders. I can develop a product without any insight into what the market really wants and needs. I can invest money without the prospect of ROI or a prognosis for future revenue with the product. I can release something with poor quality (not that I know because we do not benchmark criteria to determine "good" quality that is mutually acceptable to our customer base) and pass it to Tech Support without their buy-in and with very little information on how to support this product.

Tighter checks and balances over projects. While admirable that we can all run with our ideas, every individual is not equipped with the tools to plan projects, costing analysis, variable cost of manufacture, projections, predictive monitoring, and many other aspects needed for a sound project. Projects should not pass checkpoints without fully satisfying the requirements for that stage. If we have not met them, then we should repeat the stage so that we get it right. Our customers depend on us to do the needful in this regard.