EFI Reviews

Reset

Great people........poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at EFI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful. Flexible schedule. Good benefits.

Cons

Time and again management fails to deliver, even on the simple things. Many directors are promoted because of years of service, rather than possessing the necessary skills to perform the job duties. Support resources, such as Human Resources is spotty at best. Many HR business partners do not possess the necessary skills to intervene with product line directors/GMs to ensure the big picture employee relations are handled well. This is true at all levels of the HR organization.

Advice to Management

You could do some very simple things to influence employee satisfaction including ensuring that the same rules are applied across the organization to ensure that some employees are not favored more than others.

Do not honor families.

Former Employee - Inventory in Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Inventory in Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at EFI full-time

Pros

There are no pros to report

Cons

Ink is more important than your family.

Missing core infrastructure and best practice essentials for strong working relationships and product production.

I worked at EFI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is supported. Benefits are solid.

Cons

Pittsburgh management team boarders on nepotism.......people are promoted and allowed to conduct themselves by different rules, based on their years of service and relationships with management rather than their skills and prior performance to fit the job. If you work outside of the Pittsburgh office you are simply not considered in the decision making processes, regardless of your role and resource responsibilities. Directors do not possess adequate skills/abilities to manage staff resources, in turn they would rather share false information than to deal with a possibly difficult conversation/situation, which makes for mixed messages and the perspective that managers/directors are untrustworthy and manipulative. HR is non existent as an influencing business partner and to influence/ensure best practice conduct with employee development issues. Poor communication unless you exist the Pittsburgh hub. People who are liked by Directors/Managers are treated well and have ample opportunities, rather than performance based opportunities for all. Having watched this behavior for many years, I have not seen any improvements in these behaviors, nor do I have reason to hope for significant change.

Advice to Management

Your Pittsburgh leadership is unhealthy. You would benefit from looking inward and really assessing what is going on, not just from the Pittsburgh point of view, but also from the other offices that are impacted by Pittsburgh decisions. Correct poor staff management with performance reform at the manager/director level.

5. Fantastic place to work, great benefits a growing company with a sense of security.

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at EFI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very team focused company.

Cons

Moving up within the company can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees concerns and follow thru.

I learned a lot.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work, good people, great location. It can be an aggressive environment but I learned a lot from it that made me more marketable.

Cons

Too much offshore (India). Aggressive environment. Not sure the future of this business is sound anymore.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be less aggressive with employees. It felt like the US was a sinking ship and that it would soon go almost offshore.

7. Great great great great great

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at EFI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management staff location career path

Cons

Cafeteria pasta veal chicken tuna

Advice to Management

Better food

8. I very fast paced, fun experience where I learned a ton.

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at EFI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It feels good working for a company with a dominant position in the industry and the marketing/trade show prep reinforces this. You have freedom to do what you need and product owners have great leeway. The culture is great and overall it was a fun experience where I learned a great deal.

Cons

From the software side, it is a collection of acquired products, nearly all of them old. The integration story is just that...mainly a story. You will get to know "the slide" pretty well - the miracle of every product seamlessly working together in one picture.

Advice to Management

The velocity of the company is just too much for many people.

9. Great leadership only getting better.

I have been working at EFI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is expanding at an enormous rate. They offer great pay and great incentive to work here.

Cons

I cant honestly think of too many bad things to say other than there seems to be a bit of the "good ole boy" network when it comes to upper management.

Good experience, except for the pay

I worked at EFI full-time

Pros

Smart, friendly people Leader in digital print technology, as it is Comfortable work environment (in Foster City) - Note that this was in their Foster City location. I understand they are moving to the East Bay.

Cons

The Fiery business is slowly sinking as the general printing business shrinks, and it seems to be a cash cow. Other areas may be better (like large format VUTEK or the Applications management businesses). Pay is below average in the industry. Bonuses are small. Raises are small. RSUs (if you get them) are small. Extra work is generally expected to "get the job done". Weekends and late nights are not uncommon.

Advice to Management

The stock is above 30 finally. Look for a buyer.

Sr. Program Manager in Fiery Business Unit

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Talented bunch of people - Great collaborative culture - Clear messages/communication from the senior executives

Cons

- A large group of the software development and testing talents are in Bangalore, India - too far away for the business hours, takes additional efforts in getting well coordinated. - Compensations - Less than the SF Bay Area average - Has allowed too many good talents to leave the company - Too much work for each individual (I felt like drinking from a fire hose), resulting in communication slugishness - Way too much importance placed on the company's bottom line (although I understand it's very important) - Because of some or all mentioned above, the majority of people are stressed - Unclear whether the digital printing industry has a bright future

Advice to Management

Perhaps, the Fiery product's price-to-cost ratio is getting smaller. Although the prices are getting more and more competitive, the development cost must be rising. The senior managements' messages are always focused on "produce more with less", advocating the "lean and mean attitude". It seems it has been pushed as far as possible. To keep selling the same products, you could not continue reducing the work force unless the product's architecture were changed - simply put, it costs a lot to develop Fierys. The core brain power resides in Foster City, not in Bangalore (I hope those in Bangalore do not take this personally), so moving more work to India should not be the answer. it has to be something else. Unfortunately, I do not have a specific advice I can give. Though, I want my former colleagues to succeed.

RSS Feed </> Embed