EFI Reviews

228 reviews filtered by

Review of current employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at EFI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Absolutely no heirachy in this company.. anyone can call and talk to the CEO. It's all about creating the premier product and services for the industry which makes it a fun and innovative place to work.

Cons

the lack of formality can create some confusion and lack of clarity.

Keep up the great work! Communicate, communicate, communicate!

Great people, Solid Products, Too Many Meetings

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at EFI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a very talented engineering staff, and lots of great people in all departments. Working on the right team can be very rewarding. The product line is growing and the core technology is adopting to the changes in the print industry.

Cons

Too many meetings, too many progress reports, and meetings about progress reports. And meetings about meetings.

The products I work on take unnecessary complexity, instead of having the design team work on making easy to use. The goal is to beat the competition by creating feature rich products.

Since change is the only constant there isn't much to say that can last.

3. too much bug fixing, at least that's how it was for me...

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location, but, as some, or already most of the people know, they are selling the building in Foster City. I guess, like most reviewers on here, I would say that the location is the only pro about this place.

Cons

If you're not looking forward to grow as an engineer and be up to date with current technologies, do not work at EFI. The technology that the company uses is outdated, and due to its size, change happens very slowly.

Maybe if you're a fresh college graduate and fall into the right team, it might be a good place to start your career. Make sure to ask at the interview exactly what will you be working on and exactly how much code you are going to write. Most of the jobs are maintenance jobs where you're stuck at bug fixing forever. Avoid those positions at EFI.

Do not expect to get raises. Be smart, and negotiate your most desired salary during the offer. Do not get fooled and expect that you are going to go in there, prove yourself and get promoted. You will prove yourself and get promoted, its just that the promotion will not be reflected on your salary much.

I wouldn't really give any advice to management. They know what is going on and if they want to, they can change it. The thing is that change comes with cost. The company is trying to save money in every way it can.

Not worth the headache

Former Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Quality product line, exciting industry

Cons

no accountability, minimal leadership and zero direction.

Backfill necessary roles so you don't leave your team so filled with holes that you spend more time trying to "plug the dam" then running your business

6. Challenging environment in the Inkjet group

Former Employee - Operations in Meredith, NH
    Former Employee - Operations in Meredith, NH

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Corporate vision is well defined
    Technology was way ahead, loosing steam to the competition
    position in the software side

Cons

Management behavior towards employees in Meredith
    lack of departmental experts in specific fields
    each business unit runs its own show
    Product launches are always delayed

Meredith Management should put down the stick, that's so 1970's management style. You achieve much more with a comprehensive, employee focused approach.

7. Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at EFI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, helpful colleagues, immense support from high end, Scope to learn lot more

Cons

what do I say when I am enjoying the work. We just need to keep on improving

There are lots of other companies to work for in the Bay Area

Former Employee - Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Nice view of the bay and the San Mateo bridge from the building.
    -Close to the shopping center.

Cons

-No career mobility. Even though you do as you're asked and show personal and career growth, there's no promotions.
    -Peers reviews were a waste of time. Some people chose friends to review them rather than all internal business contacts to review their work. This leads to inflated review scores.
    -Salary increases workers got were a joke, if we got any at all.
    -Poor salaries = poor engineers. If you want better engineers, you have to pay for them.
    -The company making you take time off whether you wanted to or not. These were called CTOs
    -Some products that were full of bugs were still shipped. The rationale was because we needed to make the schedule and there was no concern for end user perception of EFI, nor the end user having a good experience with the products

Listen to the workers. There were good ideas pitched by people in the past but for some reason, upper management ignored them and the status quo was maintained. Who knows where the company would be now if these ideas were acted upon.

Perfectly mediocre

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, nice perks, pay is good, food is good, very relaxed working atmosphere.

Cons

Print servers are dying. Who prints? Nobody. This company will keep chugging along bouncing up and down, and if you like that, then it's perfect.

QA engineers are ignorant of TRUE qa practices. Development engineers are almost totally isolated. The division between QA and Dev is blurred more and more these days. You should teach the QA engineers to code their tests. You should teach the development engineers to expose the code to other parties.

Most dysfunctional company I've ever been associated with

Former Employee - Senior Mfg Engineer in Meredith, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Mfg Engineer in Meredith, NH

I worked at EFI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Safe, clean environment
    - Decent benefits
    - Talented mechanical design group
    - Interesting, challenging work

Cons

- Lacks upper level management leadership
    - Development Group and Mfg Group have adversarial relationships
    - New Products being pushed into Mfg before designs and testing is complete causing major issues with supplier delivery and huge amounts of rework in Mfg
    - Mfg Management extremely negative and don't want to hear what's going well - only what's going wrong which results in figure pointing, unconstructive relationships, and hardworking, dedicated people losing their jobs becasue management won't take responsibility for anything.
    - Multiple cultures under one roof; Development group generally very collaborative, Mfg Group managed by threats and bullying; my job was threatened only two weeks into my employment. Most companies you are still learning peoples names and where the bathrooms are after just two weeks.
    - Mfg Management treats lower and mid-level employees like a fantasy football league. Rather than managing, leading, and removing barriers, they give you a month to figure it out, then let you go.
    - Irresponsible employment practices. Once a temp, always a temp. Many employees having been working as temps with no benefits for years.

It's 100% all about culture and leadership; Overhaul Mfg Management with people that live the advertised corporate culture. Otherwise, the clulture hype by the CEO become just "blah blah blah"; Treat people the way you expect to be treated; look in the mirrorand remember that your kids may someday work for people just like you. Based on what I experienced, that should make you very concerned.

Worst.Employer.Ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at EFI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Foster City location was nice, but EFI is moving to who knows where after selling the building to Gilead. The only pro of working here is being taken away.

Cons

Everything from layoffs to budget cutbacks to no incentives to work hard. Every single expense has been scrutinized 10 times over. This company is no longer growing but is trying to prevent its own demise. The printing industry as a whole is dying and the Fiery business is dying with it. You often hear the CEO brag about record revenues and record profits, yet there are no raises, and select bonuses for those who are favorites of the VPs. After hearing of record breaking months and quarters, you get a lousy polo shirt and news that there are more budget cuts coming, and more outsourcing to the India location and that we need to work harder to make the numbers. EFI is about as good of an example of a corporation gone wrong as any.

VPs are more worried about their image then the performance of the company. EFI only gives promotions without raises. Why? Why would anyone want more work and responsibilities for the same pay? Everyone feels like we are walking on eggshells for fear of upsetting the VPs by telling the truth. I think most of the company is either waiting to be laid off or is the process of looking to jump ship.