EFI

Not worth the headache

Former Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Quality product line, exciting industry

Cons

no accountability, minimal leadership and zero direction.

Backfill necessary roles so you don't leave your team so filled with holes that you spend more time trying to "plug the dam" then running your business

Challenging environment in the Inkjet group

Former Employee - Operations in Meredith, NH
    Former Employee - Operations in Meredith, NH

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Corporate vision is well defined
    Technology was way ahead, loosing steam to the competition
    position in the software side

Cons

Management behavior towards employees in Meredith
    lack of departmental experts in specific fields
    each business unit runs its own show
    Product launches are always delayed

Meredith Management should put down the stick, that's so 1970's management style. You achieve much more with a comprehensive, employee focused approach.

Perfectly mediocre

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, nice perks, pay is good, food is good, very relaxed working atmosphere.

Cons

Print servers are dying. Who prints? Nobody. This company will keep chugging along bouncing up and down, and if you like that, then it's perfect.

QA engineers are ignorant of TRUE qa practices. Development engineers are almost totally isolated. The division between QA and Dev is blurred more and more these days. You should teach the QA engineers to code their tests. You should teach the development engineers to expose the code to other parties.

Most dysfunctional company I've ever been associated with

Former Employee - Senior Mfg Engineer in Meredith, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Mfg Engineer in Meredith, NH

I worked at EFI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Safe, clean environment
    - Decent benefits
    - Talented mechanical design group
    - Interesting, challenging work

Cons

- Lacks upper level management leadership
    - Development Group and Mfg Group have adversarial relationships
    - New Products being pushed into Mfg before designs and testing is complete causing major issues with supplier delivery and huge amounts of rework in Mfg
    - Mfg Management extremely negative and don't want to hear what's going well - only what's going wrong which results in figure pointing, unconstructive relationships, and hardworking, dedicated people losing their jobs becasue management won't take responsibility for anything.
    - Multiple cultures under one roof; Development group generally very collaborative, Mfg Group managed by threats and bullying; my job was threatened only two weeks into my employment. Most companies you are still learning peoples names and where the bathrooms are after just two weeks.
    - Mfg Management treats lower and mid-level employees like a fantasy football league. Rather than managing, leading, and removing barriers, they give you a month to figure it out, then let you go.
    - Irresponsible employment practices. Once a temp, always a temp. Many employees having been working as temps with no benefits for years.

It's 100% all about culture and leadership; Overhaul Mfg Management with people that live the advertised corporate culture. Otherwise, the clulture hype by the CEO become just "blah blah blah"; Treat people the way you expect to be treated; look in the mirrorand remember that your kids may someday work for people just like you. Based on what I experienced, that should make you very concerned.

There are lots of other companies to work for in the Bay Area

Former Employee - Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Nice view of the bay and the San Mateo bridge from the building.
    -Close to the shopping center.

Cons

-No career mobility. Even though you do as you're asked and show personal and career growth, there's no promotions.
    -Peers reviews were a waste of time. Some people chose friends to review them rather than all internal business contacts to review their work. This leads to inflated review scores.
    -Salary increases workers got were a joke, if we got any at all.
    -Poor salaries = poor engineers. If you want better engineers, you have to pay for them.
    -The company making you take time off whether you wanted to or not. These were called CTOs
    -Some products that were full of bugs were still shipped. The rationale was because we needed to make the schedule and there was no concern for end user perception of EFI, nor the end user having a good experience with the products

Listen to the workers. There were good ideas pitched by people in the past but for some reason, upper management ignored them and the status quo was maintained. Who knows where the company would be now if these ideas were acted upon.

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at EFI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, helpful colleagues, immense support from high end, Scope to learn lot more

Cons

what do I say when I am enjoying the work. We just need to keep on improving

Worst.Employer.Ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at EFI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Foster City location was nice, but EFI is moving to who knows where after selling the building to Gilead. The only pro of working here is being taken away.

Cons

Everything from layoffs to budget cutbacks to no incentives to work hard. Every single expense has been scrutinized 10 times over. This company is no longer growing but is trying to prevent its own demise. The printing industry as a whole is dying and the Fiery business is dying with it. You often hear the CEO brag about record revenues and record profits, yet there are no raises, and select bonuses for those who are favorites of the VPs. After hearing of record breaking months and quarters, you get a lousy polo shirt and news that there are more budget cuts coming, and more outsourcing to the India location and that we need to work harder to make the numbers. EFI is about as good of an example of a corporation gone wrong as any.

VPs are more worried about their image then the performance of the company. EFI only gives promotions without raises. Why? Why would anyone want more work and responsibilities for the same pay? Everyone feels like we are walking on eggshells for fear of upsetting the VPs by telling the truth. I think most of the company is either waiting to be laid off or is the process of looking to jump ship.

Easy work but Company has no growth potential

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- People.
    - Work is easy.
    - Rarely challenged.

Cons

- No growth expected.
    - Executive Management is out of Ideas.
    - Rarely challenged.
    - Poor compensation.

Invest in new Ideas.

We are cheap, and don't care about our employees. - EFI motto.

I worked at EFI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good co -workers
    - Go location.
    (Filing in to hit the 20 word minimum)

Cons

- NON existent HR.
    - Don't get trapped by the whole "Green card " thing. It's bonded labor with no pay, here.
    - Work on bugs.
    - No career development.
    - Poor pay.
    - Bad bonuses. (almost non existent)
    - Promotion = more bugs, no pay. You either get a raise or a title change, dare you ask for both !
    - Mandatory vacation. This gets deducted from the vacation time that you have accrued.
    -Useless upper management. "We just like to play on our blackberries and have unproductive meetings."
    -Poor cross team communication.

Treat us with respect lest don't be so shocked with the mass exodus of engineers leaving.

Something is better than nothing,

I worked at EFI

Pros

1) good office location
    2) flexible work environment

Cons

1) No respect for people
    2) Still using old technology
    3) No growth
    4) Very low Salaries
    5) Lack of innovation
    6) Mostly engineers work only on bugs. A very few people work on new development.
    7) There is nothing to learn.
    8) Lot of time to sit idle and doing nothing. I have seen many employees doing this.

1) Talk to people and value them