EG&G Reviews

Updated June 2, 2014
Updated June 2, 2014
3.9

Randy Wotring

EG&G is a very large company that pays a living wage & good benefits. It is a great transition for Veterans.

Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at EG&G full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The friendships and Veteran friendly atmosphere make it an ideal transition for those leaving military service. Their time off policy was fairly flexible for medical appointments. I had a family emergency where an immediate family member was in the hospital and there was no hesitation of letting me be where I was needed most. I was given two weeks time off. Management was very understanding and compassionate.

Cons

The company is very large. It is easy to get lost in the sheer number of employees at times. Annual reviews were never conducted. There was an unwritten policy which basically says that if you don't hear from management that there is a problem then you are doing fine and you don't need a review.

Give employees an annual review at least!

It was a good place to work, I was just a temp.

Former Employee - Payroll
    Former Employee - Payroll

I worked at EG&G full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training, awesome traiing. benefits

Cons

Clickish people. There was alot of extra matriaial affairs going on ot there. A lot of gossip.

I really did enjoy my job there. The training was excellant.

Good overall

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Lebanon, PA
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Lebanon, PA

I worked at EG&G

Pros

Pay is decent. Well paced work environment. If you don't get caught up in the politics, it's a great place to work. Not a lot of micro management.

Cons

Management allowed the military have too much input in company affairs. Was a great place to work until the contract was near the end. Rumors, Rumors, Rumors! Lack of necessary equipment (though military was to blame). Not the best I've worked for, but definitly not the worst.

The military need not meddle in company affairs that should not concern them. Try to limit military management of company employees.

great experience till the end of contract..

Former Employee - Pilot in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Pilot in San Antonio, TX

I worked at EG&G

Pros

Fun flying, good hours,and time for the gym.

Cons

Was not union so some things happened that were negative. No protection.

Inspections and complaints were very one sided. Pity we did not have a union or legal representation for the pilots on the line.

very good,from 1966 to 1987, I took the earley layoff.

Former Employee - Tech III in North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Tech III in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at EG&G

Pros

ther very best benefits,with good pay,and great employee's

Cons

going to the test site,and long hours.

treat the employe,s with respect .

good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at EG&G

Pros

if you a good worker management treats you well if you are self starter and work with little or no supervistion they treat you like a god pay is good benefits are good time off is normal weekends and holidays off with pay overtime is distributed fairly and the co-workers are great

Cons

only petty stuff not worth mentioning

always remember your employees are your biggest asset

Entry Level

Current Employee - Engineer in Dahlgren, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dahlgren, VA

I have been working at EG&G

Pros

Job security - defense industry

Cons

Low salary.
    Work many extra hours without compensation.
    Pile work on good employees but poor employees are not let go.
    Charge government for all hours worked but do not pay employees for all hours worked.

Recognize good workers with promotion, high salary and get rid of poor performers

Life at Creech

Current Employee - Avionics in Indian Springs, NV
    Current Employee - Avionics in Indian Springs, NV

I have been working at EG&G

Pros

The pay is great and benefits are above average compared with similar places I've worked in the past. The program manager is easily accessible and very easy to reach when needed. They have the added plus of allowing our sicktime to rollover from year to year as well as it counting towards overtime during the week if used.

Cons

Having to put up with management with General Atomics and the Air Force who constantly changes their minds and turns your life upside down at times with constant schedule and shift changes. There also is no rhyme or reason to the way they deploy people. Some guys get exactly what they want while others must take lousy seconds in getting to deploy. GA shows way too much favoritism for their own employees versus ours. They don't pay them jack diddley either which might be why they get to deploy more. Their leadership is very poor and they just make things up as they go along. Reacting to situations daily instead of having foresight and planning.

I would suggest to EG&G management that they try to curb favoritism in the workplace from GA and bring back more fairness. GA should base off of performance not how they perceive a person and EG&G needs to step up more when EO issues are brought to management's attention.

EG&G = a pretty good place to be (temporarily)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crane, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crane, IN

I worked at EG&G

Pros

At Crane there was a small town feeling, so there was good commraderie and a pretty good sense of teamwork. People from smaller towns tend to be more friendly and that was certainly the case here. I also liked the fact that I typically got feedback from my manager about my day to day responsibilities, although see comments on the "downside" about the managerial staff. The flexibility was nice and they tend to promote from within so there was a good sense that you could move up the ladder if you really wanted to; a lot of senior level people were promoted through the ranks.

Cons

Management (since promoted from within) is not highly skilled. They lacked some very fundamental managerial skills that one comes to expect from positions of authority...i.e. discretion, decision making, professionalism.

Work on :discretion, decision making, professionalism! Enroll all your managers (TOMS and up) in some sort of managerial boot camp.

EG&G - a great place to work!

Current Employee - Safety Engineer in Dahlgren, VA
    Current Employee - Safety Engineer in Dahlgren, VA

I have been working at EG&G

Pros

Interesting work, good pay, good company culture. Also, work-life balance is a big plus, and the company goes to great lengths to avoid layoffs, so job security is good. In the safety engineering department, we have not had a layoff in the six years I've been working here, which is a much better record than most of the other companies in the area. Also, because the company does a good job of keeping costs under control, we are very competitive in winning new work, which also helps with the job security situation.

Cons

Benefits package is not that competitive. Leave, health package, and retirement could use some improvement. But I understand that that works somewhat at cross-purposes to the "low cost" thing discussed above.

Work on benefits!