ELS Educational Services Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
CEO

Pros
  • Health benefits for full time work (in 9 reviews)

• Meeting students from around the world (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, there is an insane amount of work (in 6 reviews)

• Very low pay for the quality of work that you are doing (in 6 reviews)

Great People, Great Center Management, Poor Upper Management, cheap owners.

Current Employee - ESL Instructor
    Current Employee - ESL Instructor

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great local management.
    Good vacation.
    Good benefits.
    Diverse people.

Cons

Instructor pay is low. The pay is $23-26/hr if you have an MA in TESOL or CELTA. However, pay is significantly less if you don't have TESOL/CELTA - even if you have MA in something related and many years of experience. Additionally, you are not paid for the time needed outside of class for prep and grading. (avg 2hrs/week.)

The part-time instructors get jerked around pretty bad, they have no clue what (sometimes even 'if') they'll be teaching until the first Monday of each session. At times a 20hr/week instructor will get knocked down to getting 20hrs for the entire month.

If you teach anything k-12 or at the university level, going to ELS will likely be a pay cut, and may increase your preptime and stress level (teaching ESL is very mentally draining each day).

Much of the curriculum varies wildly in difficulty for the levels they're designed for. Quality varies wildly as well - SSP classes are clearly planned and outlined, vocab classes are junk.

Advice to Management

TO ELS: Your current payscale is under-market at all levels. $2/hr raise across to even come close to market. (Half of the centers are at universities, yet you pay less than the lowest adjunct faculty while requiring the same specialized training/experience - and the adjuncts get better benefits)

Give FT/20hr instructors just one extra hour of extra pay per week as a symbolic 'prep' time and 90% would be happy.

Updating the computers won't solve the problems with grading/prep time. The time management ideas proposed in the online class are unrealistic and utopian.

Pay for the ISAs should not be lower than the lowest instructor. They do just as much work (or more, to be honest) interacting and guiding the students as the instructors do. They're also harder to replace than the instructors are, because a good ISA has to have ridiculous patience, a good-natured personality, and be very culturally open.

Teacher

I worked at ELS Educational Services

Pros

Other teachers were cool and hung out together.
    Paid to do training.
    Monthly reviews and benefits package.

Cons

ELS operates on 4-week sessions. This means there is high turnover of students and a lot of pressure on students to pass to the next level before their funding runs out.
    A slow start to the session means that you may not get a student until a week into the session. Most teachers have little time to socialize at the school. You're all working with the same students but there's not much time to discuss them or get on the same page.
    ELS is always in a big rush and there's no time to catch your breath. The session ends and the next one begins.
    New employees are thrown in the deep end. You're gonna be doing your best and still not performing well for a few sessions. That's just how it works. The ones that make it usually find a system that works for them by talking with other teachers and just getting a few months of experience.

Advice to Management

Give some breathing room for the teachers. It will help the whole school improve performance, from the teachers to the students and management.

A Great Place To Work

I have been working at ELS Educational Services

Pros

A great company to work for. Such a positive environment. Like with any company, you get what you give to an organization. You work hard and are rewarded by working with extraordinary colleagues. ELS is truly the master in their field. Great potential for growth and advancement.

Cons

We could have more communication with our parent company, Berlitz.

MISLEADING SALARY INFO

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Students, colleagues of course. Good Center admin staff where I teach -- I think we just got lucky. 4 weeks vacation. You'll need it.

Cons

ELS corporate response to a negative review somewhere below: “Our salary structure is competitively based on a combination of levels of education, overall experience and cost of wages at each specific location. “
    This is misleading. Let’s say you have a Masters in TESOL. ELS pays you a higher salary than if you don’t. However, if you have a Masters in TESOL + YEARS of teaching experience, you’ll get the same salary as a new teacher who has just finished a TESOL Masters. ELS does NOT factor experience into your starting salary.

Advice to Management

A corporation demonstrates how much it values employees by paying decent salaries, not lip service. Just do it. If not for us, then for your Glassdoor reviews.

part time instructor

Former Employee - Instructor in Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Instructor in Johnson City, TN

I worked at ELS Educational Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Finished by 4PM
    Good insurance
    Sick days & vacation days
    In house management is great but corporate SUCKS

Cons

No break; no holidays; low pay; unpredictable hours; in house management is great but corporate sucks

Advice to Management

Have large subbing pool and small teacher pool
    For corporate: CARE about your employees and LISTEN to them about curriculum!!!!!!! We know what we're talking about!!!! Pay for planning period; increase hourly pay more

Only as a last resort

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time

Pros

Good benefits including health insurance and ample vacation days.

Cons

Headquarters is very out of touch with the way each center runs. Processes vary wildly and center directors can easily undermine their suggestions and protocols.

There are no proper channels for HR. Center managment was a terror, but no one could figure out a way to alert higher management that wouldn't backfire. Instead, the center just saw alarmingly high turnover as everyone realized what they'd gotten into and jumped ship.

Pay was abysmal compared to similar jobs in the industry. You could say this is part of why benefits are so good, but taking a vacation day or sick day was nigh impossible because of the way centers are set up.

I felt terribly sorry for the teachers who worked many, many unpaid hours all the while not knowing if they would have work the next month.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the system you have in place for centers; hire admin more carefully.
    Stop letting SACM overly bloat your company - eventually, their numbers will dwindle and you'll have to let people go/shut down centers left and right.

a lot of work

Current Employee - English Language Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - English Language Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at ELS Educational Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Vacation time, benefits, 401k, the students are fun and it's really nice to work in an international environment and meet new people from all walks of lofe

Cons

If you don't have a master's degree, it's not worth the pay, even if you have plenty of experience. Everything is about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Value your teachers more; they are the reason the students pay to be there. Don't make teachers constantly switch classrooms throughout the day. Make our jobs easier, since we do a lot of our job in our unpaid time at home.

ELS Educational Services Response

May 27, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your response. We truly value our employee feedback so that we can improve our centers not just for our staff but the students as well. We advise that you reach out to your direct ... More

Worst Job EVER

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice teachers and great students. Interesting environment because many countries are represented in the student population.

Cons

Horrible local management, top heavy national management with completely unrealistic expectations of students and teachers. Antiquated technology and grading process (can't call grading process a system because it is so complicated and torturous!) Totally unrealistic teacher evaluation process that relies in large part on anonymous student evaluations. Students have told me they only use the evaluation opportunity as a chance to hate on teachers they don't like, and talk up the teachers who are fun and games. Salary sucks. Admin support nonexistent (they hurt rather than help).

Advice to Management

Retire or leave because it is clear you don't know what you are doing or how to support centers and teachers.

Terrible

I have been working at ELS Educational Services

Pros

Pros are too little to speak of.

Cons

Stay away from here unless you are a backstabber, then you will love it.

Advice to Management

Keep on backstabbing!

ELSleaze

Former Employee - ESL Instructor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - ESL Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time

Pros

The pros are that this company is obviously so phony and corrupt, they are too stupid to know everyone can see it.

Cons

This is the absolute worst company I have ever worked for. I wished I had never worked for ELS. They ruined my life! They ruined my career! These are the sleaziest phoniest, lying sack of filth I have ever had the displeasure to meet in my life. Do not believe them, do not trust them. They will NOT reward you for hard work, they will punish you. They have NO loyalty to you and will try to destroy your life for having the nerve to try and leave. Do not count on them for a good reference. If you value your future never work for this company

Advice to Management

No advice, except go jump in the river Hades.

RSS Feed </> Embed