EMA Design Automation Reviews

1. Tech Support Associate

Former Employee - Tech Support Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Tech Support Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at EMA Design Automation

Pros

Relaxed, nice co-workers, popcorn, enjoyed first hand contact with customers

Cons

can be boring at times

Sad Way to Run a Company

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Rochester, NY

I worked at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

a pay check, seriously, that's the only pro. Managers are just there to get a check and will not back you up or help you. I could go weeks without ever speaking to my manager.

Cons

Toxic environment, If you speak up you will be targeted. most folks stay in there cubes all day and do the bare minimum. so called "leaders" do not know how to lead. People are promoted or hired because they have a friendship with the owners. There is literally no loyalty from the employees and most leave when an opportunity presents itself.

Advice to Management

bring in a consultant to teach you how to run a company and treat people. Treat people with respect. It is shameful how management speaks to people. The level of rudeness is not to be believed.

Terrible environment run by idealogs. No respect for employees.

Former Employee - Field Sales
    Former Employee - Field Sales

I worked at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A paycheck for some period of time... There is really no other reason to be here.

Cons

The Management Team (husband and wife) are much more concerned about their friends internally than the negative effects on the balance of the employees. Moving forward, I think a list is simpler: 1) Impressively incompetent people are placed into important positions with no training, knowledge or a proper understanding of English (These people are native english speakers). I consider myself a professional and it was quite embarrassing in front of customers and business partners. 2) Selling software support to companies when they know there is little to no work being invested in the product. 3) Running inside sales like a sweatshop, monitoring all calls in and out of the building without a notice to the caller. 4) Ridiculous number expectations for salespeople, and you may or may not be paid. 5) When I was there, we didn't even receive commission statements, so we couldn't verify we were being paid properly 6) They try to retroactively negotiate compensation plans in a very heavy handed way. 7) They force their right wing political views on the entire organization, you absolutely cannot challenge this. Why is this even discussed in a work environment? 8) General employee morale is terrible, almost everyone is on the way to somewhere else. 9) Management acts like your pay is coming directly out of their wallet and you certainly dont deserve it. 10) Employees who are brought in from offshore and treated like indentured servants and will likely never get a green card. To me, they are treated like slaves and being taken advantage of. Overall, it is a haphazardly run kingdom, they don't value/respect their employees and they never will.

Advice to Management

Sell the business to someone that cares about their employees.

Nice people, but disorganized

I worked at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do a good business and everyone there is pretty good at what they do. There's potential to grow, although I'm not sure it's going to happen.

Cons

Some serious management issues, not receptive to new ideas, tries to take advantage of employees rather than rewarding them.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! They're there to help.

Agree with the owners 100%, or find another job.

I worked at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The really only pro that I can think of is the paycheck. Oh, and the coffee. The coffee (which comes out of a machine that you pay for) is decent. Most of the technical staff are knowledgeable.

Cons

Management is an absolute joke. The only way to get ahead or promoted at this organization is to kiss more butt than you ever thought possible, be a "yes man," and constantly tell management and ownership how wonderful you think they are. The owners promote who they like, regardless of how terrible that person is at their job. If you need to take a day off, you're viewed as lazy and ungrateful, and you are not allowed to take any vacation or sick time for the first year. The ownership of the company is the most condescending couple I have ever encountered, personally or professionally. They will threaten you with your job on numerous occasions. You either agree with them 100%, or you can head for the door. Should you have any suggestions, keep them to yourself. You will be looked at as disloyal. I literally sat and watched people around me do absolutely nothing for eight hours, but the owners liked them, so they were never bothered. This company went from being the #1 business in Rochester in 2005 to being not even in the top 500 as of now. The owners make their personal and political views VERY well known, and should you feel otherwise, keep your mouth shut if you want another paycheck. I watched a person who was running their most profitable territory be fired for absolutely no reason other than the fact that the VP didn't like him. His numbers were great, he was well liked, and they just told him one day that they felt it best to part company, and then they denied his unemployment. That was a fun lawsuit to watch them lose. At any given time, this company has a couple different lawsuits pending against them. If you're in sales, you will have pretty much no idea what you're being paid or commissioned on. You won't get a well-defined or outlined plan, but rather just a paycheck at the end of the month with numbers that you will have no idea of where they came from. If you have ZERO other options, work here. Otherwise, accept literally ANY other offer you may have of employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they are humans, not veal.

With a motto of "Ready, Fire, Aim", one of these day's you're going to end up shooting yourself in the foot.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EMA Design Automation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paycheck Just about every meeting you get to hear the owner's motto. "Ready, Fire, Aim!" It's quite comical.

Cons

-No vacation time (not even sick time) for the first year. -Toxic work environment. -Management trusts nobody. -Long work days are expected. I consistently worked 7am-7pm many nights of the week. -The WORST example of leadership I have ever seen in an organization. -Yes men move up while intelligent people who offer their opinions get silenced and have their job threatened. -Supervisors monitor your EVERY move. After putting a doctors appointment on my calender and informing my supervisor two weeks prior; I received a call during the appointment to make sure I was not lying about being at the doctors. I was also told that I would need to make up the hours (after I had worked 55+ hours the previous two weeks and a 12 hour shift the day before.) -My manager told me that going to the Bathroom 5 times during a 12 hour workday was too much and that I needed to stop.

Advice to Management

I spent a year of my life trying to communicate with management. I doubt they would listen now.

Overall a horrible place to work

I worked at EMA Design Automation full-time

Pros

There really aren't any, unless you consider a paycheck a pro.

Cons

- No vacation during 1st year of employment. - Cannot contribute to 401K during 1st year of employment. - Most everyone that works here is miserable, so it makes for a toxic work environment. - Vice President opens everyone's mail. You would think a VP of a company would have better things to do, but apparently not here. - To get days such as Christmas Eve off, you need to reach crazy sales goals. So you go the entire month of December not knowing if you will have Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve off. When you do reach the goal the owner has no issue telling the employees "how much money it costs him" to give you these days off with pay. - Management treats employees poorly, it is a very "Us vs. Them" type of environment. I would not recommend working here. It is a waste of your career to go your first year without being able to contribute to your retirement. Management treats employees like children. There really is nothing good to be said about this company.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even know where to begin with this, and quite frankly I have other things to do today.

9. a place for the unambitious

Current Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it provided a paycheck. that is all. the other reviews were spot on about this place.

Cons

- terrible communication from mangement / owner - the two main types of people that work here are those that kiss butt, yes men to the owner. and those that are unambitious. have no hopes or dreams, and are content in this dead end company - you will get promised things that never come to fruition - benefits are a joke.

The Unled

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at EMA Design Automation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Excellent and knowledgable coworkers (for the most part)

Cons

- Lack of direction for the company, coming from the top down - Too much focus on "more product", no solutions for selling existing product lines - Inexperienced individuals being "hand picked" for directorships - No internal promotion or movement (unless someone leaves/is fired) - Refusal to "trim the fat" (Terminations are near unheard of) - No raises, no bonuses - Yearly health insurance increases (the whole increase passed to employee)

Advice to Management

The "upper management" needs to step back and let the directors run the company, if that is the ultimate goal. If not, then remove the directors. Care about the moral of the employees, they aren't "robots". Place actually qualified people into important positions, not because they have an MBA. If people aren't producing cut them loose; maintaining them only hurts moral.

Where careers go to die

I worked at EMA Design Automation

Pros

There aren't many pros to working at this company besides a consistent paycheck. The work environment here is very toxic.

Cons

Typical Workweek is between 50-55 hours. Employees are expected to stay late most nights. Management doesn't care about life outside of work, just about the bottom line. They don't offer ANY vacation for the first year of employment. Not even sick time! When an employee is sick, it comes out of their two weeks of paid vacation. Forget about trying to get unpaid vacation. Management pretends to listen to your suggestions for improvement but doesn't really care. They'll use you as long as they can, burn you out and lay you off (or hope you find another job). Most of the employees are right out of college and leave within the first year. In less than one year, my department had 2 people quit for every one position in that department. STAY AWAY!

Advice to Management

Please please please, for the good of your company, change the environment there. It is so toxic. Stop micromanaging. Hire people you trust and give them the authority to make changes. Having management live 4 time-zones away is frustrating and kills the communication in the department.

RSS Feed </> Embed