EMBL

Updated Mar 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Beautiful place for research

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
    Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg (Germany)

Pros- Large resources easily accessible
    - Diversity of research topics
    - Significant support for life/work balance

Cons- Quality and outcome of employment period overly dependent on "N+1"
    - Limited career development for researchers
    - Poor integration in local research community

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease scrutiny of the principal investigators' performance as team leaders and personnel managers. Think forward about modernising the work culture of biology researchers.

Great place for a PhD student to increase your academic skills

PhD Student (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

ProsBroad range of research topics. Expertise for many fields available. Well connected to other research institutes/universities. Predoc course at the beginning give opportunity to meet all PhD students from your year from all outstations, which gives a great academic network.

ConsThey aim big, so many students leave without a single publication.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on improving publication record of students

bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTerrible experience in developmental biology unit. It was worst years of my entire life. arrogant group leaders with low scientific abilities and too much politics involved.

Consthere are good labs but very few. other than that, embl is very dynamic area.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience, highly recommend Peer Borks lab for good science.

Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee)
    Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg (Germany)

ProsStrong science, positive atmosphere, good renumeration. It probably varies between groups, but I had a very good experience from Peer Bork in structural computing.

ConsA bit isolated in the Heidelberg forest, and some group leaders may push their staff and students excessively hard.

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosreally nice atmosphere among students, lots of clubs to have fun for a couple of years.
    very good health insurance that pays most of the bills. heidelberg is beautiful town.

Consit is not easy to integrate into heidelberg german society without knowing german. embl is like a bubble. not a cultural city thoguh.
    I belive that main requirement to hire PIs at EMBL is how extravert they are and good in presentation skills. but because of lack of experience and training they get here, most end up in lower levels of scienctific community in their further career. there are no money shortage in most groups thus no pressure on the group leaders and only on PhD and postocs.

Bad teachers

ProsThe most important thing is it's name, which is known by all europe. But less in USA. Also the health care is quite good somehow much better than normal german system, although in germany quality of life is generallly not so bad after all.

ConsI just want to point out that the teachers are really bad, they don't think if their students fail, they fail. Drop in quality of research compared to past 10 years.
    after working in developmental biology unit, I can say the publication record could have been much higher than what it is now. The research is not continueous each lab publishes one good journal every 5 years with multiple authorships, although every lab gets 2 phd students paid and the budget is quite good. Problem in desiging the experiments and projects. Just check when the lab joined and when the first research publication came out.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your students fail, you fail. Try to be supportive.

Bad for postdocs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery good facilities. Well paid. High degree of internationality.

ConsThe groups are young and they spend all of their time establishing themselves in the community, hence no one helps postdocs to get introduced to the market.
    Also some regulations are discriminating against postdocs as male postdocs cannot have 3 months paternity leave even if their external fellowship pays them 3 months extra and extends their contract.
    Only internal postdoc programme is EIPOD but many group leaders force postdocs to only work on their project and do not work interdisciplinary.
    SAC reviews of units is not really practically helping group leaders to push for more publications.

decrease in quality

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)

ProsHello
    I am happy that I could come from another continent so easily visa is regulated very well. The institute is located in a nice and quiet place. It's international and many clubs.

ConsMy mentor is very young and we don't come along very well. I am treated without respect and I think this might be because EMBL tends to hire very very young group leaders who have no management experience (just my opinion). It is very challenging to publish if the data are not good enough to be sent to high impact factor journals.
    All in all, I do not recommend this place.

stressful work

PhD Student (Former Employee)
    Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg (Germany)

ProsI was very well paid and the institute is full of foreigners so everybody speaks english and all are nice. heidelberg is pretty

Consthe group leaders have most of the power and are very unfair. you have to be lucky to get the chance of changing the group within the institute. EMBL is very hierarchical and group leaders are very young and not experienced with managing groups.

Advice to Senior Managementtake management courses and do not treat students like slaves

Good for a postdoc

ProsGood salary for a postdoc, good city to live, good prospects based on the institute's reputation

ConsSocial benefits lacking for those intending to stay in Germany, little in the way of services such as gyms, canteens etc

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the workplace culture and social life!

Worked for EMBL? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMBL reviews and ratings. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by EMBL employees.