EMC
3.5 of 5 1,626 reviews
www.emc.com Hopkinton, MA 5000+ Employees

EMC Reviews

Pros:
  • "work-life balance is good and you have chance working with lots of smart guys"
    in 133 reviews
  • "You can occasionally work from home if you have personal things to handle"
    in 46 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is something EMC has tough time with"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at"
    in 43 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stay focused...

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at EMC

ProsIn EMC one can get a tremendous number of opportunities from web development to a very low level systems engineer. Also a good combination of work and personal life balance.

ConsThe downside of working at EMC is the common downside of working at any huge corporations - it's very easy to get lost inside and become just one regular employee (clerk) with no opportunities for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are the greatest asset of this company and Senior Management has to value that.

No vision

Consultant Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I have been working at EMC

Prosokay benefit, fairly decent work schedule

Consno career growth, senior managments have no idea what to do with software products

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better vision. Career growth is extremely critical to any employee

Be there, but beware!

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at EMC

ProsFar reaching technology, lots of earnings potential (someday!)

ConsHuman Resources and General Counsel (a misnomer since that dept. is really EMC legal and only works for EMC) work only for the executives and not the employee (in the event an employee lodges a complaint)

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote 360 degree reviews in order to prevent vendettas.

EMC great place to work but you're just a number

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at EMC

ProsStrong company and strong senior management. Clear understanding of senior management's view of the future of the company. Great benefit package. Great development programs for new graduates.

ConsWith 33K employees there it is tough to be anything other than just a number. Salaries do not compare to outside of company from what I've seen and heard from friends. Great development programs for new graduates, but limited opportunities for individuals 3 - 7 yr out of college. Decisions are made in silos, communication between groups is weak but more recently getting on the same page.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice given to Senior Management. They are making great decisions to sustain the strong growth the company has been experiencing over the last few years.

Not the best experience at EMC

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at EMC

ProsEMC Corpora tion was a tech nology leader in storage and network ing.
The best in technology

Second only to your people, your information is your organization's most important asset. EMC provides the technologies and tools that can help you release the power of your information. We can help you design, build, and manage flexible, scalable, and secure information infrastructures. And with these infrastructures, you'll be able to intelligently and efficiently store, protect, and manage your information so that it can be made accessible, searchable, shareable, and, ultimately, actionable.

In short, with an information infrastructure, you can avoid the potentially serious risks and reduce the significant costs associated with managing information, while fully exploiting its value for business advantage.

ConsThe team I worked with had people with over 20 yrs of experience
Very limited growth potential within the team

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the fat that exists within the company and allow young aggressive individuals room for growth

Is the time and effort ever rewarded?

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at EMC

ProsLooks good on a resume.

ConsInternal politics, management is not qualified, compensation does not reflect the time and effort put into the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are no longer just a hardware company. Your pay plans need to be restructured for sales reps. They have not been changed in 4 years while the company has changed dramatically.

Good pay, but boring.

Technical Writer (Current Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at EMC

ProsI work for the Documentum division of EMC. The pay is good and the building is well kept. There really isn't too much to say as to how good it is to work there. It's just a place that you go in, do your work, and leave.

ConsI do not feel a sense of pride in the work done at Documentum. There is no drive and I feel unmotivated to work, which is a reflection of senior management. It is, in general, a boring place to work with nothing much going on. THings are very unstructured and there seems to be no direction given from the top to make things more efficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more thought into over-arching initiatives that affect the whole division and promote more innovation within the company.

Connecting with others around the world is the biggest benefit and also the biggest challenge

Technical Writer (Current Employee)
Park City, UT

I have been working at EMC

ProsAbility to learn something new every day, work with bright and talented people in an environment where my input is valued and respected. Interact with other writers from other countries on globally diverse projects.

ConsCommunication in a global dispersed organization can be difficult. It's crucial that we continue to seek new and innovative ways to connect to those coworkers who work in other offices and other countries

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to look for new ways to bring employees together - both physically and virtually. When employees in a geographically dispersed organization understand and relate to one another - we are better able to serve our customers needs.

EMC is great place to work

Consultant Architect (Current Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

ProsGood management
Independence at work
synergy in acquisitions

ConsNo job rotation at middle layer

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the work
Give chance to move within company

EMC- Thank you Uncle Joe!

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EMC

ProsEMC is an incredible place for the individual that takes pride in working hard for individual success keeping in mind that the success of the team is the ultimate goal. As a former athlete, I feel at home working with other like minded individuals that refuse to lose! I couldn't imagine working in any other industry or for any other company.

ConsThere is an incredible pressure to hit your number each and every quarter. To be successful at EMC it has to be the #1 priority in your life! If you are not prepared to make that commitment it may not be the career or company for you.
t
t

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to take a vacation at Christmas time!

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!

EMC Videos

EMC – Why Work for Us?

A passion for learning, innovating and success EMC is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver information technology as a service (ITaaS). Fundamental to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EMC CEO Joe Tucci. All 130 reviews posted anonymously by EMC employees.