EMC

3.5 1,822 reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

(1,213 ratings)

Pros
  • work-life balance is good and you have chance working with lots of smart guys(in 162 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well(in 83 reviews)

• Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at(in 44 reviews)

1,822 Employee Reviews

EMC is a mixed bag of interesting technology and unfocused middle management.

Software Developer (Former Employee) Hopkinton, MA

ProsLots of smart, driven people working in the trenches. Excellent resources and tools are provided. Quality work matters.

ConsA never ending parade of middle managers come and go quickly. Each one does a re-org and then moves on. EMC has an inane quarterly goal system, where you have anywhere from 3 to 7 quarterly goals to achieve in order to get 10% of your pay. These goals may or may not have anything to do with your job function.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose the quarterly goal system. It is counter-productive because the goals are generally not job related, but you have to complete them in order to get the last 10% of your pay. So, your focus is often on achieving the goals at the expense of doing your job.

Biased Mgmt, bullying culture and unfair

SMS (Current Employee) Hopkinton, RI

ProsShift timings, latest tech stuff

ConsBullies - bullying culture and unfair

Advice to Senior ManagementNone as they don't listen

May want to think twice...

Consultant (Current Employee) Draper, UT

ProsThe benefits are fantastic, and there are a ton of training opportunities to learn and gain new knowledge. Great place to start a career in the IT industry. There are also a lot of great people to work with in the office.

ConsMost of the management were not from EMC when this office started. The culture is way more uptight here than in other locations. Leadership model is "do what I say, not what I do". Managers keep promising opportunities for more experience and career progression, but until now have not delivered. HR just implemented huge cuts for raises for consultants in GSAP. You'll be lucky to get enough each year to keep up with cost of living hikes in UT with so many people moving to the state. Rest of the office is customer support (basically a call center). It is extremely loud and disruptive; very difficult to concentrate and get things done, yet management does nothing and offer no alternatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your employees get bent over a barrel by corporate for working their tails off. Deliver the opportunities you promise. Stop micromanaging and putting stupid policies into place just to look good to other departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good benefits, tolerance is a must

Engineer (Current Employee) Apex, NC

ProsGreat benefits. Most sites are professional and staff is treated with respect.

ConsPay is ok, although most employees salaries are lower than industry average. The corporate atmosphere is not cohesive and is very different depending on the facility. Engineering staff at the manufacturing sites are not treated as professionals. The operational policy at these sites is extremely dated and generally does not allow for work from home or a good work life balance. Managers are typically yes men and do not understand the technical issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. You need to have some understanding of what your employees do. No management is not management.

EMC Information Intelligence Group (aka DOCUMENTUM division)

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe Documentum brand is strong and well-known, and clear market leader in the enterprise content management (ECM) space. Long-standing customers in focus industries. Employees who have worked in this division for many years (and prior to acquisitions) possess a wealth of knowledge to be shared.

ConsLack of clarity in IIG's growth strategy. IIG division tends to be isolated in the EMC Federation, but there are signs of improvement on that front. Be prepared for annual reorgs and shifting priorities. Marketing was decentralized a couple years back, and does not have the impact or influence or it could have. Too much talent and institutional knowledge has walked out the door in recent years.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to forge ties to EMC Federation. Break down the functional silos in the division and become more market/customer-driven. Have a well-articulated strategy for revenue growth that IIG teams/employees can get excited about and recommit themselves to.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It depends

Senior Solutions Architect (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat internal training resources. I will "sell" the knowledge I learned at EMC for the next 10 years.

ConsThe culture at EMC is cut throat; the sales team especially. Depending on your reporting chain, there can be no work life balance, just work. EMC is not a Silicon Valley based employer. It's in Bean Town. They count every penny twice.

Advice to Senior ManagementEMC University is a great resource. It doesn't seem like all the employees know about it though. Keep spreading the word!

Limited opportunities or wage increases.

Technical Support Engineer I (Current Employee) Draper, UT

ProsThe best reason to work for EMC is for the technical knowledge they provide. EMC is the leader in the industry for storage. Good managers and great colleagues.

ConsAlthough EMC claims to be a pay for performance company, you will find a low performer and high achiever getting the same wage increase, if any. Furthermore, my group has lost our most talented individuals because EMC refuses to pay them what they are worth. They are now in other departments or other companies making 10's of thousands more. EMC really doesn't pay you what you are worth. I know multiple colleagues who are very actively looking for other jobs. Right now I can say morale is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis will fall on deaf ears, but I think management needs to worry more about their employees compensation than quarterly profits. EMC is just another big business company. No real intrinsic value left.

Loved EMC earlier in my career there. Seems to be sliding down hill.

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Hopkinton, MA

ProsSome interesting technologies to work on. Good people to work with. I'm finding it real hard to come up with additional good things to say to make the 20 work minimum.

ConsNo loyalty to folks that had been serving the company for years. But I guess that's no different than most companies these days. Stock grants for good performance have been reduced significantly as compared to past years. Work-life balance can be really bad for months at a time.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-organizations are far to frequent.

Challenge: Teach An Old Dog New Tricks

Business Development (Current Employee) Hopkinton, MA

ProsGood pay and benefits. Industry leader. Trying to change.

ConsTrying to transform, but change is hard. Very political. Lots of "Lifers" (15+ years) that are resistent to change and out of touch. Lay-offs bi-annually. Cash cow (storage) is flat to declining. Good Federation strategy at least on outside, but from the inside it is just window dressing... for every "cooperation" program announced at EMC World there is a competing one.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovate don't imitate. You are paying way too much for start-ups. Ask yourself what value are your managers (VP and Sr. Directors) are really bringing to the table? Trust but verify what they are telling you Lots of duplication, inefficiencies and down right boondoggling.

EMC's IIG division has Smart People, with Old aging product line making it very Difficult to grow business

Director Product Management (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsBenefits
    Slow moving
    Work life balance
    Good money

ConsBoring product
    Aging technology
    Lack of focus on the market by management

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in innovation
    Hire better people
    Focus on the customers and install base

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!