EMC

3.5 1,824 reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

(1,214 ratings)

Pros
  • work-life balance is good and you have chance working with lots of smart guys(in 162 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well(in 83 reviews)

• Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at(in 44 reviews)

1,824 Employee Reviews

Not a place for the timid...

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, benefits, opportunities to learn new technologies.

ConsWork-life balance is non-existent and they will drive you until you can't take it anymore. More are unhappy but won't say it and I saw several leave in my tenure there to go to other tech companies to get away from the culture and were happy they left also. I advised a couple of friends to look elsewhere in their search.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook hard at the middle management layer as that is the piece of the pie that drove me away and is still driving others.

No job security, nothing challenging

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsGood salary
    Friendly & helpFul peoples
    Brand name

ConsLayoff happen every year without any notice.
    Nothing to learn for java peoples.
    No recognition.
    No value for employee.
    Believe in hire & fire. In one week they fire employees & in nxt week they hire.
    No diversity for women they fire women employee most & than organised a diversity drive for women.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being hire & fire company specially for women.
    & stop comparing ur self with CISCO.... u can never b like CISCO.

Company looking to hire at the cheapest possible wage

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsI changed divisions withing emc and I always had smart and friendly colleagues.

Cons- When I moved from east coast to the west coast, the HR offered no relocation, inspite of me asking him a few times
    - got a promotion but got only 3% raise
    - After 5 years when I applied outside, i realized I was being paid 40% below the market(stock+bonus)
    - Always interview outside emc, every 2 years to understand your worth so you can negotiate with HR

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect. You cannot expect to get good engineers in California, if you are going to pay then 30-40% below the market.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Aggressive Sales driven culture wouldnt recommend to anyone who wants an enjoyable challenge

ProsMarket leading products in EMC,VMware and VCE

ConsDo not understand or appreciate services beyond product support
    Very immature support organisation and processes (i.e. HR, marketing, finance etc)
    Pay is below market average and distributed based on what you can negotiate rather than what you are worth
    Aggressive, highly politicised sales driven culture
    How on earth they make the list of great places to work I will never know - boy there must be some bad companies out there

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you pay peanuts you get monkey's - and I am afraid that is exactly what you have in terms of talent at some middle and senior levels in the UK and EMEA
    Have more of a balance with regards the personality profiles of those at the top (it apears there is only ex salesman executives)

EMC SMS is talent poor

Technical Consultant (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThere is not much other than demand for storage and VMWare should be good

ConsEMC has technologies that any tech company with cash can come up with. Google,Microsoft,Amazon,IBM and Cisco will be lead the big data revolution. EMC will always be a second tier company as support and SMS lacks a good talent pool

Advice to Senior ManagementSMS management needs a shakeup, hiring people who were fired form EDS will not get the job done.

Pure scum.

Senior Architect, Consulting (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsYou have a job, period.

ConsEMC is the worst company I've ever worked for - and I worked there for 10 years. It's very hard to get in the door, and though they pay well up front, you can forget about a raise. I went 4 years without one, and the other years were at 2%, even though I was a "rock star" making the company plenty of money in Consulting. I was setup for failure and let go because I couldn't meet their unrealistic certification goals, while also billing at 130%. The reason being very clear that I could be replaced by two foreign H1-B workers for the same amount they were paying me. And if you're considering working for EMC on an H1-B, realize that you will NEVER get a raise and they will bring you on as cheap as they can, and work you to death. I've seen it; my friends are still trapped there on their H1-B's.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and GENEROSITY. Perhaps as generous as the execs are to THEMSELVES. No Xmas parties, yet the execs get millions in stock and bonuses? It's classic raping of this country by the corporations. EMC squeezes the life out of their people, in an effort to increase the bottom line so the stock they give themselves, or their boards grant them, (and they grant other execs while sitting on THEIR boards - that's how it works), goes up and they make millions. Meanwhile, benefits are cut, there are hiring freezes, and everyone is expected to work twice as hard for no raises. Stay away from this parasitic company!

very cunning tactics, deception, cheats

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsI did not get to join this company so I cannot say what the pros are. I am sure that the company is good once you join, but some hr and hiring people are screwing this up

ConsI applied to EMC bangalore, had a good interview, 4 rounds. Negotiated hard for salary and was eventually given an offer letter with a 20 day join period. 1 week later after I submitted my resignation, EMC called back and said that the salary negotiated is not possible due to project changes, however they said they will be happy to take me in for whatever I was currently getting in my current job. I had to reject this offer and I tried to cancel my resignation letter but could not do so. Later found out from 3 current employees and 2 other applicants that this same thing has happened to them. Now I am not sure if this is a widespread practice in EMC bangalore or if it is being done by one rouge hiring manager but either way this is unacceptable behavior. I want to bring this to everyone's attention specially the senior management. I am also exploring legal options since based on the offer letter I submitted my resignation. One of the current employees who had the same experience and who had no choice but to accept the offer said that if I tried to take legal actions the HR will simply put your resume under a microscope and will try to come up with atleast 1 inconsistency no matter how small (like they will go to your 10th standard marksheet and see if you have rounded your percentage to the exact number or not). This technique screws you up as you have no leverage. I will also inform this to all HR people all the way to highest management in EMC usa about what is going on here in bangalore. I urge all others who faced the same situation to post here so that we can expose this tactic. Now I am not saying that EMC is doing this to everyone because other people would have posted it here if that was the case. But this has been done atleast 5 times to my knowledge and so we know there is a pattern.

Advice to Senior ManagementIF management does not investigate this then it means that they are also involved with this. Don't let few bad apples ruin your company's reputation.

Bad culture, high politics - India COE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCaptive center dependent on business from HQ

ConsNo drive to create anything sustainable or of value

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing politics and do some real work. Leaders in this company are not employable

Great company

ProsGreat company for storage experience..

ConsPoor benefits - could use comparative studies

Advice to Senior ManagementWith better benefits the company will be able to retain better talent.

EMC has one female senior executive

ProsStrong brand, buys competitors frequently

ConsLow pay, limited advancement, forecast reviews are brutal

Advice to Senior ManagementEMC needs to be a positive place to work. Stop endlessing bashing every competitor and fix the product issues.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!