EMC Consulting Reviews

104 reviews filtered by
3.4
EMC Consulting Chairman & CEO Joe Tucci
Joe Tucci

Pros
  • The leadership is respectful of work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits for full time employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance, Mid-Level Managers need better training to manage a business (in 6 reviews)

• Not able to decide career path as a fresher because you are not in one domain (in 5 reviews)

1. Great company that allows and helps you grow while providing a great atmosphere and cares about its employees.

Current Employee - Advisory Solutions Architect in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Advisory Solutions Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at EMC Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, training and promotion from with in the ranks. Job postings are sent to all employees.

Cons

Many layers of middle management, hot jobs and postings are not easy to apply or contact the correct hiring manager.

Cut some middle layers and cross training

2. Decent company--some politics, and recent cycle of hiring/letting go people.

Former Employee - Senior Manager Consulting
    Former Employee - Senior Manager Consulting

I worked at EMC Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Up until I left in 2013, I had a good experience at EMC consulting. I had some excellent mentors as well as managers. Things started towards a downward trend in 2013, so I left.

Cons

EMC makes room for good employees, even in bad economic times. However, they take away the entire support system around you--including many experienced folks, and then rehires new people in good times just a few months later--causing much frustration for those who have been there for a while. When I left in 2013, there was a significant amount of politics at all levels, which I cannot stand.

Please stop the yo-yo effect of hiring and letting go people within months of each other (I saw that a number of times during my stint at EMC). On top of that, offers of significant exit/retirement packages that cost the company a pretty penny could be used towards stopping the yo-yo effect of hiring/letting go. It doesn't make sense that you hire a bunch of people, let them go and give them packages, and then we hire people a few months down the line for the same position that's being terminated. This was a continuous cycle, not just a one time deal.

3. Great company to work for.

I have been working at EMC Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of flexibility and time for the family. Benefits are great if not exceptional. Training is good, they do provide several options to get self-trained.

Cons

Career advancement can be a little challenging but if you are proactive you can get on the right path.

Re-orgs can affect career advancement for some.

If you want to get laid off once you hit a salary range they consider too high, this is your company...

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at EMC Consulting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You have a job. Yyou may start with a good salary, but don't expect to get more than 2%/yr even if you're a star.

Cons

EMC is interested in making lots of money for their execs/CEO. Research the multiples of how much the CEO makes versus the average salary in the company. In the hundreds of times, versus other companies throughout the WORLD where the norm is under 25 times. You will be worked - hard - for years and they will give you a 2% raise even if you're billing $250-300/hr for them. You will then find out that the Indian H1-B consultant working on your team is making HALF what you do, and has been for 6 years - no raise. Then you'll get laid off because they can hire two of them for one of you. This is real. It happens everywhere. You can be as loyal as you can be to this company, but they will NOT be loyal to you. Go elsewhere. I suggest a startup where your long hours may pay off.

When you have a worldwide meeting and brag about hom you just made more money in the last two quarters than in the previous 30 YEARS, don't follow it up - in literally the next SENTENCE - with how money for raises is tight, while the CEO and execs will be taking home MASSIVE bonuses due to huge stock grants the Board gave you. The Board which is filled with people in the same strata as you and getting voted the same huge stock grants...

6. EMC Consulting

Current Employee - Associate Consultant I
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant I

I have been working at EMC Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

GSAP Program is great for new employee.

Cons

Promotions can take a long time for the upward mobility types

7. good and bad

I worked at EMC Consulting part-time

Pros

has good work culture onsite

Cons

very very bad management in bangalore office

stop micro management and politics in bangalore office

8. Overall positive experience because of the team I managed was so professional and capable.

Former Employee - Senior Director in Hopkinton, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Hopkinton, MA

I worked at EMC Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great skill-building, lots of responsibility and freedom to do your job.

Cons

Highly political, aggressive and generally negative culture.

Retain the competitive spirit that makes EMC successful but temper it with greater respect and empathy for your employees.

9. Made up of strong like minded colleagues who wish to excel.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager Consulting in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager Consulting in New York, NY

I have been working at EMC Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work with great people. Internal training organization is top notch.

Cons

More attention needed to be focused on consulting and leveraging these professionals to drive revenue, i.e. cloud offerings, etc.

Share long term goals as it relates to consulting and vision. Publish multi-year plans of targets that you wish consulting to achieve, i.e. financials, head count, etc.

10. Great products. growing into services

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at EMC Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

people and the culture are great. smart people.

Cons

too product oriented. need to have more services and solutions. customers say hardware is too expensive so we cannot sell services.

support tools and processes. changes in professional services is a plus. propel is a pain.

11. No long-term prospects

Current Employee - Advisory Practice Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Practice Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at EMC Consulting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

EMC has one of the best health benefits in the industry. A Director I know still works with EMC for the health benefit provided. This is a good entry-level place.

Cons

Massive, and diverse product line, that makes it impossible to focus on core strengths. Every few years there is a re-org. The company is still run by Sales people, who only care about revenue, and utilization. No clear career path provided.

Provide a clear personal growth plan for the employees as an incentive to stay.

EMC Consulting Photos