EMC

Updated Feb 12, 2014

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A really good overall company

Quality Engineer (Former Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsThe hours are reasonable, the compensation is generally fair, the benefits are good, and the company has a good attitude.

ConsYour mileage may vary depending on the division of the company you work for. EMC buys up a lot of smaller companies so standards of work environment can vary. They could also give more vacation time, you get the standard two weeks and it takes a whole 5 years to get an extra week, and another 5 after that to get the max 4 weeks of vacation.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in on work standards down the line to make sure they are up to EMC's image, because sometimes they are not.

This place is inconsistent at best, and a lot of jobs are going to India. Irvine, CA is in the process of shutting down.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsBig company health benefits, overly restrictive 401K. Annual email blasts from upper management will try to convince you to vote as Best Place to Work in the US, so the entertainment value is high if you like drama. In fact, if you like drama this might be your best place to work. No I'm serious.

ConsManagement communication quality is among the worst. They opened a new "Center for Excellence" in India and started sending jobs there once someone in upper management from India was installed in the ranks. So while they may be hiring in Irvine, CA for some positions, rest assured that as soon as they can replace you they will.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's OK to hire good managers, and to churn the bad ones. You've done neither very well. Some of these people routinely expose you to litigation on a weekly basis. I chuckle under my breath when I think of the other companies I've seen that also took a big fail on this (Motorola).

Software QA Intern at EMC Avamar

Software QA Engineer Intern (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

Pros- competitive pay
    - laid-back people
    - good corporate culture

Cons- Interns are usually moved around among different groups (dev, qa etc.) Not very good career outlook if assigned to a QA team.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best... but more so if you live in a major city and know the right people.

Irvine, CA

ProsSolid company that cares about its Brand and reputation. Hires solid professionals and typically pays very competitively. EMC had a yesteryear reputation for being like the 'evil empire' that had lackluster products with super aggressive salesmen. They have seemingly tried to correct this by building a huge portfolio of industry leading products and have captured market share in numerous areas.

ConsYou would think that a company that is as invested in technology as EMC is that they could allow many jobs to be done from remote locations. But truth be told- the company seems to place a lot of value on having you in a major office location. If you live in such a location; it might not be a problem. If you are hoping to have an all remote job; they seem to struggle with this concept even when the job doesn't have requirements for working at an office.

Another issue is that; internal to EMC a fair number of promotions are given out to people without being posted or competed for by any visible means. I know this is common when dealing with leadership; but it can make you feel like more of a 'nobody' when: not only do you not have a promotion to aim for, but even worse when you don't even see what the qualifications required for specific jobs are. Then one day you see an announcement that someone you never knew (or never heard of) is now your bosses, bosses boss. When the big leadership jobs just seem to be orchestrated by leadership... it puts you at a distance if you are not a member of the 'club'...

Advice to Senior ManagementI know it seems brilliant that you know exactly the right person for the role; but it sends a loud message to those of us, that you might not know very well. Just because we might be individual contributors; it doesn't mean we cant lead or that we haven't served in leadership positions previously. And if you don't make these positions visible before you fill them; it makes it seem like there is no specific way to qualify yourself for such a position. It makes it seem like the qualifications are knowing the right person and being in the right place at the right time. Not, how hard you work, how smart you are or how much potential you might have.

Challenging, but great

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility in work hours
    Customer facing organization
    Dynamic roles and responsibilities

ConsSales run company. You have to make sure the sales team likes you

sales+acquisitions are higher priority than engineering and innovation

Senior QA Engineer (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsEMC is a sales driven company. That and Tech Support. Engineering is there, but it doesnt seem to be its #1 concern. EMC is more of a Systems Engineering company than it is all Hardware or all Software. Both are major concerns, but they both come hand in hand, no major focus on either.

EMC is definitely the king of IT, storage, virtualization 'solutions' if you are interested in that stuff. I say solutions wisely because they the products are recognized more from a business standpoint, then as a piece of technology.

Benefits are pretty good on par with other big companies. Best one for me is the $10K per year towards graduate education.

ConsSometimes politics can be a worry, but it is generally better than other companies I have worked for (IBM). If you are in a division of EMC that is declining, prepare for consolidation. If you are in a division that is growing, you will have little trouble with getting budget, etc.

Getting promoted is a concern as there is a fairly large structure in the company. Raise rate is terrible and not even on par with inflation.. (3% for a top performer). Lost one year of raise in 2008 due to the 'economy' but EMC meets or beats analyst expectations ever quarter. Wheres the reward?

Maybe not the most interesting products if your favorite companies are Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Google, but still certainly essential to the tech world.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better raises!! Company vision is great, EMC is doing well, overalls but employees dont seem to be rewarded well..

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!

EMC Videos

EMC – Why Work for Us?

A passion for learning, innovating and success EMC is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver information technology as a service (ITaaS). Fundamental to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMC reviews and ratings in Irvine, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EMC CEO Joe Tucci. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by EMC employees.