EMC

2,056 Reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci
Joe Tucci
1,353 Ratings

Pros
  • work/life balance is pretty good, a lot of trainings if you have time to attend (in 185 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well (in 92 reviews)

• Hard to change anything since it is a big company (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Big company, big benefits and startup culture

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashua, NH

I worked at EMC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is too big to write a generic review, since each group works differently. The group I worked in had talented people, and it was a pleasure to work with them. Benefits are really good at EMC, although the vacation time could be improved. Hardware was never an issue and people always had top of the line system.

Cons

The management changed almost every year and again this varies group to group. Annual raises are not that great and bonuses are sub par. The review system is flawed, because they can only give certain number of A.

Disappointing.

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Pay is good.
    Time off is good.

Cons

EMC does not care about it employees. For example, we were required to take five percent pay cut in 2009. The reason given was to "save jobs." If EMC was so interested in saving jobs, why the buying spree of Data Domain and Kazeon? There is no training other than a few brown bags, and soft skill training is about the only thing we get. Also, procedures are so complex that you can't do your job, and management by fear and micromanagement seem to be the method used. Also, they use you up until you are burned up. EMC talks about its culture, but it is a seriously dysfunctional family that denies anything is wrong.

I do not recommend it to anyone.

I have none as they are not listening nor care about what we have to say. My advice to employees is to keep moving on.

EMC is a large corporation that focuses on becoming larger without regard to employees

I have been working at EMC

Pros

- Great opportunity to meet a diverse mix of people from all over the world
    - Great company to have on a resume
    - In some locations, the management is very fair, or even excellent

Cons

- Too focused on share holders, and little focus on employees. 5% pay cut to show share holders that EMC is goign to do "what it takes" to succeed in a tough market, and then bought Data Domain for $2.4 billion in cash 3 months later.
    - HR is terrible!! In my 5 years I have met with HR 4 times. All 4 times were because HR had to deliver bad news. After the bad news was delivered, we wouldn't hear from them again.
    - Micro management. EMC is so focused on the numbers, they impement reporting processes everywhere that get in the way of employees performing their real jobs.

Senior management should step around the subordinates from time to time to meet with the "underlings" to get the "real" picture. Employee satisfaction surveys once a year are not enough for EMC to really know what is going on.