EMC

EMC Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 15, 2014

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

Pros
  • work-life balance is good and you have chance working with lots of smart guys(in 162 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well(in 83 reviews)

• Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at(in 44 reviews)

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Benefits, friendly work environment, not employee loyal

Senior Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) Basking Ridge, NJ

ProsEasy going, lots of opportunity for education, Best Benefits Package. Work is interesting and diversified. Management is easy to access for questions and concerns

ConsToo centered on Billable hours. Company products require to much after install support to be able to achieve the billable goals set by management. Projects sold as 3 days of work end up requiring 3 months of daily support. When Times got tough, employees stuck in these not profitable accounts were first on the copping block. Can not depend on this employer to be a life long career

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to provide more loyalty to its employees. As well as start improving the current product line to be more installer/support friendly

My Experience so far at EMC

Product Support Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexibility is a plus, I am allowed to work from home and my co-workers are a pleasure to work with.

ConsAs it is a sale driven corporation, there are moments where the sales team puts enormous pressure on support to get issues resolved.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the support staff a little better. We understand that Sale is important, but the way the Sales staff is always given recognition while Support is brushed aside, is utterly not fair. Remember without a good Support staff in the background, the Sales staff will suffer. Remember this, so that we can retain the good performers out there.

Best Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent work place with the best people to support you

ConsCompensation could be a little bit competitive

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEMC was filled with great people. They offered free training that you could take anytime, any where. I learned a lot working there and wouldn't trade it for the world. My team was great. The benefits package were superior to normal companies.

ConsSalary increases are completely bogus. I saw a number of people who left for much higher pay elsewhere. It was a shame to see them go

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation by acquisition is not a strategy. It's a great place to work all in all and I gained a tremendous amount of knowledge working there.

Review

Software Engineer (Current Employee) White Plains, NY

ProsBetter Work Environment
    Cross team good communication
    Good Information Sharing within team
    Collaborative working in team for successful delivery of product

ConsLimited Career growth
    No consideration for individual development
    No to limited promotions
    People treated as resources
    Random upper management decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consideration for career growth/ individual development
    Consideration of employee while making company decisions
    Consider promotions(status) for well deserving candidates

I worked like a slave with no support or appreciation

PMO - Director of Professional Services Program Management (Former Employee) White Plains, NY

ProsEMC is a very large company with well-known products and services, and brand recognition. My job at EMC provided me experience of managing many very large, complex IT projects across many different business units and functional areas (i.e. across finance, marketing, sales, legal, and engineering at many different business units). I was able to obtain more experience working with storage, network management, and virtualization technologies.

ConsI was practically working round the clock, between 50 and 80 hours a week and an average of around 70 or 75 hours every week. I was working 6 and usually 7 days a week. I was on back-to-back phone calls managing projects and holding project status meetings. My phone calls were continuous from about 7:30 am until 8:00 pm and then I was working until 11:00 pm or midnight completing reports and meetiing minutes, organizing my teams, following up on open issues, checking status of the projects of my other project managers, and making sure everyone was reporting their hours. My team supported 3000 projects per year and I personally managed an average of 65 projects at a time. The work environment between team managers was very combatative and everyone felt on edge all of the time. The management team did not make team members feel appreciated for their hard work and did not provide recommended methods of improving but only provided very negative feedback. My personal life and physical health suffered while I worked there due to the high amount of work environment stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time training managers on how to treat their employees fairly and do not reward managers for keeping their jobs by degrading their team members. There should be a rating system which enables employees to speak annonymously and freely to rate their manager. If their manager does not show signs of improvement, they should be reprimanded and penalized until they show improvement. Treating employees in such a negative manner will cause the committed and high performers to leave the company, and can ultimately affect client relationships as employees who are under fire can not perform well or deliver high quality work when they are continually on the defense against verbal and mental attack.

Smart & Aggressive

Advisory Account Technical Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat Pay for Hard workers

ConsDisrespectful work atmosphere...dod eat dog

Advice to Senior ManagementRecession is eating your ILM strategy

EMC -- Adrift

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) White Plains, NY

ProsPay is good. Good benefits

ConsManagement is all over the map. They love to acquire companies then play shuffleboard with the org. chart. Employees are left wondering what's going on here?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. A pick a *coherent* set goals, communicate them well and pursue those goals.

Incredibly smart people, but trouble with leading.

Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe amount of information you receive around education.

ConsSometimes shows a lack of true leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's about your employees. Create a mind sharing, inclusive environment. It is very tough to work for some people who don't care about you as a person; it seems to be only about them. I believe if your employees are happy, production will come.

A great vision, great technology, hard driven sales organization, a great company to work for

Sales Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsChallenging high technology company offering plenty of opportunities for personal development and growth. Senior management have great vision and were able to build that vision via great acquisitions and internal R&D. A very sales driven technology company with great product portfolio. Great compensation and benefits packages particularly for Sales. Need high level of energy and drive to be successful in EMC.

ConsVery metrics driven company, with contradictory metrics creating potentially stove pipe thinking and behavior. Work life balance sometimes is difficult to manage due to high level of pressure and accountability

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for your vision, leadership

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!