EMC

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Manager

Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at EMC full-time for less than a year

ProsHi-tech and a great company culture

ConsToo many interview steps and the response was delayed

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the process quick

Account Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at EMC full-time for more than a year

ProsLeading market share. Good products

ConsTough place to work. Constantly pressing you for more. 60 hrs per week is not enough. Like any place they punish success with higher quotas to check yiur income

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnover is not a grest strategy

Horrifying

Material Handler (Current Employee)
Franklin Square, NY

I have been working at EMC as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThere are no pros at EMC

ConsWe're to starts well 1#EOQ long hours and is not voulentered your are told to works crazy hours or your fired 2# fake shipments that are shipped out for revue that go out and come back in doors down 3# managers are afraid of there boss and will not stick up for anyone
4# people have not gotten raise in 5 plus years 5# should a child of a manager work for there parent and get away with murder.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to listen to your employees you works us to the bone and we don't ever see the reward for our work .

Live in India

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EMC

Pros- There were some very knowledgeable people with some impressive educational accomplishments.
. If you are a "coder", you have the ability to flex your programming muscles.

ConsEverything they can possibly move off-shore, they are.
They used to be very strong in employee training through their EMC University. No longer...they are more interested in gaining new knowledge by aquiring companies than growing it organically.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou used to have a company that you could say you worked at with pride. Now, it is known as a joint where you take what you can from a US-based expert, then move it to India and dump you.

I worked like a slave with no support or appreciation

PMO - Director of Professional Services Program Management (Former Employee)

I worked at EMC

ProsEMC is a very large company with well-known products and services, and brand recognition. My job at EMC provided me experience of managing many very large, complex IT projects across many different business units and functional areas (i.e. across finance, marketing, sales, legal, and engineering at many different business units). I was able to obtain more experience working with storage, network management, and virtualization technologies.

ConsI was practically working round the clock, between 50 and 80 hours a week and an average of around 70 or 75 hours every week. I was working 6 and usually 7 days a week. I was on back-to-back phone calls managing projects and holding project status meetings. My phone calls were continuous from about 7:30 am until 8:00 pm and then I was working until 11:00 pm or midnight completing reports and meetiing minutes, organizing my teams, following up on open issues, checking status of the projects of my other project managers, and making sure everyone was reporting their hours. My team supported 3000 projects per year and I personally managed an average of 65 projects at a time. The work environment between team managers was very combatative and everyone felt on edge all of the time. The management team did not make team members feel appreciated for their hard work and did not provide recommended methods of improving but only provided very negative feedback. My personal life and physical health suffered while I worked there due to the high amount of work environment stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time training managers on how to treat their employees fairly and do not reward managers for keeping their jobs by degrading their team members. There should be a rating system which enables employees to speak annonymously and freely to rate their manager. If their manager does not show signs of improvement, they should be reprimanded and penalized until they show improvement. Treating employees in such a negative manner will cause the committed and high performers to leave the company, and can ultimately affect client relationships as employees who are under fire can not perform well or deliver high quality work when they are continually on the defense against verbal and mental attack.

Smart & Aggressive

Advisory Account Technical Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Pay for Hard workers

ConsDisrespectful work atmosphere...dod eat dog

Advice to Senior ManagementRecession is eating your ILM strategy

Incredibly smart people, but trouble with leading.

Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at EMC

ProsThe amount of information you receive around education.

ConsSometimes shows a lack of true leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's about your employees. Create a mind sharing, inclusive environment. It is very tough to work for some people who don't care about you as a person; it seems to be only about them. I believe if your employees are happy, production will come.

Just a job, not a career

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at EMC

ProsFinancially stable, at least for the moment

ConsBig company mentality -- bureaucratic, slow to react, entrenched ways of doing things persist even if they are counter-productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the entire IT department and get people who understand that IT's job is to make the company's people more productive.

Always changing landscape of opportunities

Senior Manager Consulting (Current Employee)

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWas very entrepreneurial and some areas are still. Plenty of different discipline areas to explore and develop in. Customer satisfaction driven organization.

ConsBecoming very bureaucratic in it's operations. Less cross role flexibility, meaning your role is all you're to be working on. Lost the basis of a good consulting organization. People are turning their brains off to work within the constraints of the machine that is being built. Doesn't seem to be improving consulting revenue.

Advice to Senior Managementif you want to stay effective and relevant, as a consulting services provider, you need to benchmark better against highly successful consulting organizations, especially for consultant retention and development. If you just want to be a body shop, then continue your path of rate erosion and lack of entrepreneurial outlets.

Liked the company, but Client Services group was non-existent

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at EMC full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDecent benefits, PTO, etc. I was able to work at the client site for many years.

ConsKept stressing the importance of career growth, but their efforts to help were half-hearted. My management rarely showed its face to my client, and behaved as if they were entitled to have me work there. Also, there was too much focus on useless certifications with no advancement even if you did get them.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your strength is your consultants.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!

EMC Videos

EMC – Why Work for Us?

A passion for learning, innovating and success EMC is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver information technology as a service (ITaaS). Fundamental to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMC reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EMC CEO Joe Tucci. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by EMC employees.