EMC Reviews

Reset
3.4
EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci
Joe Tucci

Pros
  • Work/life balance in most system administration functions are good if you can set deliberate limits with managers (uncomfortable to say the least) (in 185 reviews)

• Work from home option for some teams (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is off but comes with the territory (in 92 reviews)

• Still a big company with all that comes with it (in 49 reviews)

Horrifying

Current Contractor - Material Handler in Franklin Square, NY
    Current Contractor - Material Handler in Franklin Square, NY

I have been working at EMC as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros at EMC

Cons

We're to starts well 1#EOQ long hours and is not voulentered your are told to works crazy hours or your fired 2# fake shipments that are shipped out for revue that go out and come back in doors down 3# managers are afraid of there boss and will not stick up for anyone 4# people have not gotten raise in 5 plus years 5# should a child of a manager work for there parent and get away with murder.

Advice to Management

You really need to listen to your employees you works us to the bone and we don't ever see the reward for our work .

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leading market share. Good products

Cons

Tough place to work. Constantly pressing you for more. 60 hrs per week is not enough. Like any place they punish success with higher quotas to check yiur income

Advice to Management

Turnover is not a grest strategy

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at EMC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hi-tech and a great company culture

Cons

Too many interview steps and the response was delayed

Advice to Management

Make the process quick

Learn the technology then find a better company to build your career

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology, training and work from home

Cons

Lack of diversity, poor work life balance. Very difficult corporate culture, not a good place if you are female or a minority. There's a reason why this company is never on the 'Best Companies to Work for' list!

Advice to Management

There's no hope here. Any change would mean they would not have jobs.

Senior Account Manager

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits. Some good people.

Cons

There is too much overlap between products. Many of EMC's products compete against one another. EMC's products also compete against VMware and VCE's products (VMware and VCE are owned by EMC). This causes confusion for customers and needless internal strife for sales, and technical teams.

Advice to Management

Get a clear product strategy and pursue it. Purpose built storage hardware is moving towards commoditization just like all hardware does over time.

Where did all the BA's go?

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Architect in New York, NY

I worked at EMC (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people; easy to work with especially during intense design brainstorming.

Cons

No organization; requirements came in the form on phone calls after meetings in the midwest. Poor management.

Advice to Management

Surely you've heard it already.

Just a job, not a career

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in White Plains, NY

Pros

Financially stable, at least for the moment

Cons

Big company mentality -- bureaucratic, slow to react, entrenched ways of doing things persist even if they are counter-productive.

Advice to Management

Fire the entire IT department and get people who understand that IT's job is to make the company's people more productive.

Incredibly smart people, but trouble with leading.

Current Employee - Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive in New York, NY

Pros

The amount of information you receive around education.

Cons

Sometimes shows a lack of true leadership

Advice to Management

It's about your employees. Create a mind sharing, inclusive environment. It is very tough to work for some people who don't care about you as a person; it seems to be only about them. I believe if your employees are happy, production will come.

10. Smart & Aggressive

Current Employee - Advisory Account Technical Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Account Technical Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Great Pay for Hard workers

Cons

Disrespectful work atmosphere...dod eat dog

Advice to Management

Recession is eating your ILM strategy

I worked like a slave with no support or appreciation

Former Employee - PMO - Director of Professional Services Program Management in White Plains, NY

Pros

EMC is a very large company with well-known products and services, and brand recognition. My job at EMC provided me experience of managing many very large, complex IT projects across many different business units and functional areas (i.e. across finance, marketing, sales, legal, and engineering at many different business units). I was able to obtain more experience working with storage, network management, and virtualization technologies.

Cons

I was practically working round the clock, between 50 and 80 hours a week and an average of around 70 or 75 hours every week. I was working 6 and usually 7 days a week. I was on back-to-back phone calls managing projects and holding project status meetings. My phone calls were continuous from about 7:30 am until 8:00 pm and then I was working until 11:00 pm or midnight completing reports and meetiing minutes, organizing my teams, following up on open issues, checking status of the projects of my other project managers, and making sure everyone was reporting their hours. My team supported 3000 projects per year and I personally managed an average of 65 projects at a time. The work environment between team managers was very combatative and everyone felt on edge all of the time. The management team did not make team members feel appreciated for their hard work and did not provide recommended methods of improving but only provided very negative feedback. My personal life and physical health suffered while I worked there due to the high amount of work environment stress.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training managers on how to treat their employees fairly and do not reward managers for keeping their jobs by degrading their team members. There should be a rating system which enables employees to speak annonymously and freely to rate their manager. If their manager does not show signs of improvement, they should be reprimanded and penalized until they show improvement. Treating employees in such a negative manner will cause the committed and high performers to leave the company, and can ultimately affect client relationships as employees who are under fire can not perform well or deliver high quality work when they are continually on the defense against verbal and mental attack.

Showing 71 of 2,739 reviews