EMC Reviews in New York City, NY

1,921 Reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci
Joe Tucci
1,275 Ratings

Pros
  • work/life balance is pretty good, a lot of trainings if you have time to attend (in 164 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well (in 84 reviews)

• Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great company with great outlook

Current Employee - Advisory Solutions Architect  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at EMC

Pros

good work/life balance and compensation/benefits

Cons

lack of creative thinking, it's all about milking the cow

it's really hard to change the machine that is making the money so I wouldn't have any. Tucci has made a huge success but is a former sales rep and that's what the focus is on

Good Benefits, friendly work environment, not employee loyal

Former Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist  in  Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at EMC

Pros

Easy going, lots of opportunity for education, Best Benefits Package. Work is interesting and diversified. Management is easy to access for questions and concerns

Cons

Too centered on Billable hours. Company products require to much after install support to be able to achieve the billable goals set by management. Projects sold as 3 days of work end up requiring 3 months of daily support. When Times got tough, employees stuck in these not profitable accounts were first on the copping block. Can not depend on this employer to be a life long career

Management needs to provide more loyalty to its employees. As well as start improving the current product line to be more installer/support friendly

My Experience so far at EMC

Current Employee - Product Support Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Flexibility is a plus, I am allowed to work from home and my co-workers are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

As it is a sale driven corporation, there are moments where the sales team puts enormous pressure on support to get issues resolved.

Treat the support staff a little better. We understand that Sale is important, but the way the Sales staff is always given recognition while Support is brushed aside, is utterly not fair. Remember without a good Support staff in the background, the Sales staff will suffer. Remember this, so that we can retain the good performers out there.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Excellent work place with the best people to support you

Cons

Compensation could be a little bit competitive

None at this time

A great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at EMC

Pros

EMC was filled with great people. They offered free training that you could take anytime, any where. I learned a lot working there and wouldn't trade it for the world. My team was great. The benefits package were superior to normal companies.

Cons

Salary increases are completely bogus. I saw a number of people who left for much higher pay elsewhere. It was a shame to see them go

Innovation by acquisition is not a strategy. It's a great place to work all in all and I gained a tremendous amount of knowledge working there.

Review

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in White Plains, NY

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Better Work Environment
    Cross team good communication
    Good Information Sharing within team
    Collaborative working in team for successful delivery of product

Cons

Limited Career growth
    No consideration for individual development
    No to limited promotions
    People treated as resources
    Random upper management decisions

More consideration for career growth/ individual development
    Consideration of employee while making company decisions
    Consider promotions(status) for well deserving candidates

I worked like a slave with no support or appreciation

Former Employee - PMO - Director of Professional Services Program Management  in  White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - PMO - Director of Professional Services Program Management in White Plains, NY

I worked at EMC

Pros

EMC is a very large company with well-known products and services, and brand recognition. My job at EMC provided me experience of managing many very large, complex IT projects across many different business units and functional areas (i.e. across finance, marketing, sales, legal, and engineering at many different business units). I was able to obtain more experience working with storage, network management, and virtualization technologies.

Cons

I was practically working round the clock, between 50 and 80 hours a week and an average of around 70 or 75 hours every week. I was working 6 and usually 7 days a week. I was on back-to-back phone calls managing projects and holding project status meetings. My phone calls were continuous from about 7:30 am until 8:00 pm and then I was working until 11:00 pm or midnight completing reports and meetiing minutes, organizing my teams, following up on open issues, checking status of the projects of my other project managers, and making sure everyone was reporting their hours. My team supported 3000 projects per year and I personally managed an average of 65 projects at a time. The work environment between team managers was very combatative and everyone felt on edge all of the time. The management team did not make team members feel appreciated for their hard work and did not provide recommended methods of improving but only provided very negative feedback. My personal life and physical health suffered while I worked there due to the high amount of work environment stress.

Spend more time training managers on how to treat their employees fairly and do not reward managers for keeping their jobs by degrading their team members. There should be a rating system which enables employees to speak annonymously and freely to rate their manager. If their manager does not show signs of improvement, they should be reprimanded and penalized until they show improvement. Treating employees in such a negative manner will cause the committed and high performers to leave the company, and can ultimately affect client relationships as employees who are under fire can not perform well or deliver high quality work when they are continually on the defense against verbal and mental attack.

Smart & Aggressive

Current Employee - Advisory Account Technical Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Account Technical Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Great Pay for Hard workers

Cons

Disrespectful work atmosphere...dod eat dog

Recession is eating your ILM strategy

EMC -- Adrift

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in White Plains, NY

I worked at EMC

Pros

Pay is good. Good benefits

Cons

Management is all over the map. They love to acquire companies then play shuffleboard with the org. chart. Employees are left wondering what's going on here?

Get a clue. A pick a *coherent* set goals, communicate them well and pursue those goals.

Incredibly smart people, but trouble with leading.

Current Employee - Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at EMC

Pros

The amount of information you receive around education.

Cons

Sometimes shows a lack of true leadership

It's about your employees. Create a mind sharing, inclusive environment. It is very tough to work for some people who don't care about you as a person; it seems to be only about them. I believe if your employees are happy, production will come.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!