EMC

2,117 Reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci
Joe Tucci
1,383 Ratings

Pros
  • work/life balance is pretty good, a lot of trainings if you have time to attend (in 185 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well (in 92 reviews)

• Hard to change anything since it is a big company (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

56 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good if you are in the mainline storage group

Former Employee - Senior Product Management in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Management in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at EMC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

EMC is a very well run company. Salary is competitive and benefits are excellent. The storage group still runs the show, but they make most of the revenue so that makes sense. Some good strategic acquisitions (like VMWare) and some not so great. They have seen the cloud tsunami coming and are doing their best to adapt. Solid values.

Cons

No way to sugarcoat the fact it is a very large company, and has the typical problem of trying to make an impact as an individual contributor. Not particularly well known on the West Coast of the US, so may not be the best resume builder from a Silicon Valley perspective.

No growth and the management has no strategy.

Former Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at EMC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The first couple of years was fine, they have free coffee and sodas, the management was OK until they lost track of running the strategy and tried to blame it on everybody else.

Cons

The location at Pleasanton, CA was hard to get to and there was no shuttle to get you from BART to the offices which is 5 miles away. A nightmare of a 4 hour round strip commute. Layoffs non-stop throughout the company even with the top performing employees a lot of nepotism.

Listen to the people who are running the departments, get funding for the infrastructure and people who'll support the infrastructure.

IIG is Safe and easy going - if you toe the line. Upper management is political, with no influence on EMC corporate, swagger with nothing to back it.

Former Employee - Product Management At EMC IIG in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Product Management At EMC IIG in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at EMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great for technical people. Flexible hours. Some very talented folks in IIG engg. Good pay and benefits. Safe place to park yourself.

Always an opportunity to move out of IIG and into better divisions within EMC.

Cons

Management is not focussed on building good products. Competitors are overtaking in all aspects.

New management is focussed on looking good themselves, surrounding themselves with yes men from past jobs causing serious attrition of existing talent. Employees are not given enough credit within the product management team. No growth.

Not enough people left to build good competitive products.

Too much politics between engineering middle management and product management. Nothing ever gets done.

Focus on building great products. Good things will follow. Listen to the long timers they are full of ideas.

Build contemporary products that are actually going to be long term investments for customers.

Overall positive experience at EMC, but could benefit from a few improvements.

Current Employee - Education/Sales in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Education/Sales in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at EMC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was well compensated and offered two paid vacation days as well as a paid fourth of July holiday during my summer at EMC. All the employees I met and worked with at EMC were kind, helpful, and appreciative of thier jobs at EMC. My internship in particular was extremely independent which had its pros and cons but in general I enjoyed the independence. The internship allowed for flexibilty and the opportunity for me to contribute my own ideas and apply creativity to my work. My manager worked in a different office accross the country but was always available, helpful, and patient with me to ensure I gained as much out of my internship experience as EMC did.

Cons

I think the biggest issue with my internship is the disconnect between the interns in Pleasanton and the interns in other offices. My internship was a new and experimental position so some inconsistency was to be expected but at times, mostly in my first weeks, I felt like there wasnt always a purpose or place for me. I could tell there had been a lot of thought and effort put out to create helpful programs, talks, and workshops for interns in busier offices such as the Santa Clara office but there were no programs exclusive to interns in Pleasanton. Although we were invited to join the interns in Santa Clara for various events, commuting over in the heavy traffic didn't always seem like the most sensible or appealing soluton.

I think if the Pleasanton office could develop a more organized, unified, and inclusive environment for their interns, I would not have any complaints about my time at EMC. At times I felt very isolated from not only other offices but also from other employees in the office. Seemed like I was "out of the loop" on many office events, perks, and happenings. These issues may be exclusive to my specific position and office, but still something to consider.

Very friendly working environment

Current Employee - Associate Financial Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Financial Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at EMC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The responsibilities are clear then you don't need to worry about no one will take care of it.

Cons

Hard to change anything since it is a big company.

The management are doing a good job!

A fair company to work at with some growth possibilities into core and acquired companies.

Former Employee - Principal Program Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Program Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at EMC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Career growth possibilities as many different business units, geographies, etc. There are interesting acquisitions and the possibility of growth in these areas.

Cons

This is a storage company at heart so if you are not in this core BU, your strategic direction is not always optimal for success. If you are an acquired company the corporate culture may take some getting used to.

Grow a more diverse workforce in practice, not just corporate statements and you I believe will spark more innovation.

I was able to build world class skills, experience working side by side with talented people, travel all over the world

Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at EMC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Learning new skills that will benefit you for the rest of your career. Good compensation. Great leadership.

Cons

The IIG Business Unit had significant leadership turnover, poor execution, and lacked vision by mid-management.

Better mid-management and senior leadership is need in the IIG division.

Software Engineer in IIG

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at EMC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Nice people

Cons

The IIG group is basically dying a slow death. All our products are being sunsetted and offshored. There is very little growth and investment in new products. There is very little direction as to where we are headed as far as products.

Figure out where you want to go. Improve the quality of the products. Focus more efforts on fewer things.

Pays well but not terribly diverse

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at EMC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay can be pretty good. Plenty of opportunities for training and self-development. There are usually a lot of team events.

Cons

It's pretty much an all-white male company. The culture comes from a "good-old-boy" Boston mindset that has not gone away. There are a lot of layoffs that take place quietly so there is not a lot of stability

Add some diversity, especially to the field organization.

Imagine working at the company in "Office Space" - that place was much better than EMC!

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at EMC as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

1. There are tons of information available to do your job
    2. Depending on your manager, you can work from home
    3. Depending on your group, you may have some decent coworkers
    4. You get a relatively decent PC when you work there - as an FTE you get a cell phone (ok that's a pro and a con)
    5. IT Helpdesk is available 24/7 and believe me, you need it because the IT infrastructure sucks.

Cons

1. No one ever decommissions anything off their Intranet so it is hard to dig through what's useful or even current*
    2. Work-life balance doesn't exist, even for contractors. Early (as in 5AM) meetings are not uncommon. Make sure you check your e-Mail before you go to sleep (that is if you can sleep)
    3. Management doesn't care about you - most managers are simply higher level employees with supposedly "better" pay. Don't expect them to guide you, mentor you or even manage you.
    4. Unless you negotiate a high starting salary, don't even think about getting close to market rate until you leave. In my case, I was in initially given an offer in 2010 for the amount I made in 1998. Full disclosure, I made half as much as I did in 1998 as I did in 2010. You do the math.
    5. Lots of intra- and inter-department politics. I ended up leaving the company because two people I worked with in another group didn't do their jobs and I got blamed for their ineptness
    6. Way too many pet projects where managers hire their friends as "consultants" paying them more than they ever deserve
    7. Doing a good job is ignored while mediocrity is rewarded. Many of the people who have been there for years should have been fired a long time ago, but somehow still manage to stay for no reason

Get rid of the entire IIG marketing organization from the top down. Rebuild it from scratch and hire people who actually know how to do their jobs. Pay market rate if not more - you can afford to do that.