EMC Reviews

1,941 Reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci
Joe Tucci
1,288 Ratings

Pros
  • work/life balance is pretty good, a lot of trainings if you have time to attend (in 174 reviews)

• You can occasionally work from home if you have personal things to handle (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well (in 89 reviews)

• Hard to change anything since it is a big company (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Truly understands work/life balance.

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very open environment, opportunities for learning and advancement and the corporation does give you all of the tools you need to move ahead. Also supportive of both onsite and remote working and understands the need for work/life balance.

Cons

Some growing pains as the various groups are moved together and trying to determine best methods of collaboration between different work groups with different drivers.

Improving more in the past year than previous 10 years

Current Employee - Principal Engineer  in  Hopkinton, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

EMC offers great medical benefits. It also offers plenty of personal and professional development through both internal and external training. The undergraduate and master's levels programs reimbursed and even onsite can't be beat. There is a great opportunity to move to different areas of the company especially in corporate. I've also seen the largest change in attitude about making the work environment better in the last year. We now often have "just for fun" activities like cookouts, ice cream socials, bowling outings, etc. to boost morale and to build teamwork.

Cons

There are a few areas that EMC could improve in. First and foremost the company has been taken over by corporate guilt and is preoccupied with diversity. Promotions especially to mid level management are based on hitting quotas of different groups (by gender, sexual preference, ethnic group, etc.) and not who is the best person for the position. They've moved directors from their offices to convert them to transgender bathrooms and breast feeding rooms. Most are empty 99% of the time.

EMC also has a poor vacation policy and caps out at 4 week for 10 years. The 401k match is also less than other companies especially in the tech area.

Concentrate on the best person for a position and not trying to meet quotas. Concentrating on race, gender, etc. just creates reverse discrimination and further the problem.

Look to reward long time employees with benefits that improve with longevity.

Great Company

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer  in  Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Draper, UT

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training, they care about the employees, they recognize talent, they reward the hard workers.

Cons

Collaboration among the business units could be better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, superior people

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at EMC full-time for less than a year

Pros

No shortage of opportunities to work with world-class technology and the people that make it all work. Outstanding benefits that are unlike any I have every had at any other company. Promising career outlook and a great ability to move jobs inside the EMC Federation.

Cons

We are currently in a penny-pinching mode which means it is very hard to get more or less anything done. Everyone is paranoid that we're all going to get laid off, and management's lack of communication does not help.

We are a profitable company. We need to quit acting like we are broke. We have great technology and great customers (just look at the EMC World attendance if you have any doubt). If being a public company means we always have to watch every cent, maybe we should go private.

It was pleasant but nothing to write home about

Former Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at EMC full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice people with a nice atmosphere. good benefits.

Cons

not big raises. no good training.

Great work life balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at EMC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work and life balance is good, people there are good, flexible working hours.

Cons

pay more attention on software features not quality. Need to simplify the development process and improve the efficiency.

Workign Enviornment (Intern)

I worked at EMC

Pros

Working environmrnt is great, very flexible, proivde semiars and volunteering activities regularly, people there are nice.

Cons

There are more career opportunities for IT, CS and engineer majors than for finance and accounting majors.

HR Intern

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern  in  Hopkinton, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Hopkinton, MA

I worked at EMC as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Salary, training, integration with other interns, projects, LinkedIn training. There's an enormous opportunity to network and learn about their Leadership development programs. Fitness centers are great as well. Company is working to change the culture and move towards the third platform of data storage. Great first experience. Definitely helped me get my foot in the door of the workplace. Benefits are wonderful.

Cons

Big company, can get lost in the mix. Doesn't attract a young crowd of people. Often hard to understand exactly what the company does until you've been working there for a year.

Great opportunities if you're willing to put yourself out there!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Southborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southborough, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of chances to try new things, there is a great deal of freedom granted to employees to try out new ideas, just make sure to get your work done.

Cons

I have questions about management's commitment to work-life balance, and their true desire to make the IT department really agile. There is a frustrating lack of clear project prioritization and maybe some cronyism, but I'm not sure (I might be one of the cronies!).

EMC

I have been working at EMC for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits and workout facilities

Cons

Good old boy culture. Not what you know but who you know.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!