EMC

3.5 1,837 reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

(1,222 ratings)

Pros
  • work/life balance is pretty good, a lot of trainings if you have time to attend (in 164 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well (in 84 reviews)

• Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights
1,837 Employee Reviews

Consultant Program Manager (Technical)

Consultant Program Manager (Technical) (Current Employee) Hopkinton, MA

ProsThe benefits are even or PAR with other high Tech companies.The culture is very good, very diverse, harmoniums, collaborative and creative. Everyone's ideas are heard and treated with respect. The training is outstanding, with both internal and external sources for training. Cross functional environment and heavy into project management and Six Sigma. They have awards for performance that is freely given. Job Well done!

ConsSalary increases, promotions, stock incentives are slow, low, and sometimes not at all. Many who leave EMC is to get higher salaries and intensives. Some come back after they get the increases from other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary increases, promotions, and serious career discussions.

Excellent culture and financially rewarding

Test Architect (Former Employee) Hopkinton, MA

ProsThey provide you the tools and resources to complete work at a high level. They provide training and competitive compensation. They make you feel as though you make a difference and are critical to their success.

ConsMiddle management can be over reactive and at times empire builders possibly stagnant as in all large companies I think.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove the talented resources to the developing potential. Do not always promote the loudest.

Good company

ProsNice work culture and nice environment.

ConsVery far away from my place.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits, Work/Life Balance and established/recognized organization. Mostly a sales organization; but they provide all the resources that you need to be successful.

ConsNot much. Most managers have long tenures; can be good and bad. Organization is now becoming a set of Federations or separate companies that may or may not compete against one another

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be more strategic about vision and next generation products/services. Needs to move faster into developing markets.

Best big company I've ever worked for

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsAlways new technology to learn about and to add to product portfolio (double-edged sword, see below). Strong sense of corporate, division, and team support. Good compensation and benefits. Strong leadership at CEO and industry level, and decent agility in market.

ConsNo clear career path/options due to flat hierarchy and relevant roles. Non-stop product learning and sales cycle, but to be expected in sales team. Disconnect between corporate, commercial sales perspective vs realities of Federal sales (though this is quickly closing!).

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider creating more roles/opportunity for upward movement and leadership.

Vision, commitment, and execution!

Advisory Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIncreasingly diverse workforce, not the "old school EMC." The leadership is committed to making the employees and the company successful. Great benefits, many smart and dedicated people to work with. We are in business to stay in business! The training and growth opportunities are off the charts! You can make or remake yourself and grow within EMC.

ConsThe culture is in transition, business drivers can occasionally disrupt. All in all, I have no misgivings about the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Federation is redefining and establishing what makes us exceptional in the industry. Stick with the plan, it's making the competition adapt!

Wonderful Internship Experience

Global Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) Hopkinton, MA

ProsEMC has a very friendly and welcoming work environment. The company is very flexible with your work/life schedule and the pay is great. My department is very fast paced and keeps me busy with projects that help me to better understand my career goals. I was welcomed by a very supportive staff who rotates frequently to show me the various roles that our department has to offer. I love the fact that every building has a gym and café area, both which are very convenient.

ConsCar-pooling from Worcester gets a little irritating and expensive after a while. I think that the company should do a shuttle for interns who don't have cars. It will be more convenient! Also, I would like to see more diverse backgrounds giving full time employment.

Very stressful place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI got the opportunity to work with some of the most intelligent and driven people in my career at EMC.
    Because it is are large company and there is a lot of product integration you can build a large network of associates which can help solve process and technology issues.

ConsExecutive management always changing direction regardless of where you are in the product lifecycle.
    Constantly having layoffs so you never know when you will lose your job. Note, a side benefit of this is that the company rehires a large number of people they layoff.
    Can be a tough place to work, since the executives expect you to be available all the time and are constantly adding projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview layoff strategies, it does not seem to make sense to lay people off then rehire them the next quarter when a new budget is available. Maybe move them to another area and save the layoff costs.
    Consider that people have families too, freezing vacations is not a very good incentive to retain talent.

Strong work ethic, competes hard

Services (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFocused and driven culture, accountable employees, good online training opportunities, key player in IT industry. Moves fast and often seem to compete harder than many of our competitors. Much flexibility around work arrangements as long as work gets done.

ConsAnnual performance review process is inconsistent, sometimes received them, sometimes didn't. No company matching for charitable contributions.

Nice company

ProsGood working hours and environment, good benefits

Consnone that i am aware of

Advice to Senior ManagementYou rock!

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!