EMC

3.5 1,822 reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

(1,213 ratings)

Pros
  • work-life balance is good and you have chance working with lots of smart guys(in 162 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well(in 83 reviews)

• Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at(in 44 reviews)

1,822 Employee Reviews

Consultant Program Manager (Technical)

Consultant Program Manager (Technical) (Current Employee) Hopkinton, MA

ProsThe benefits are even or PAR with other high Tech companies.The culture is very good, very diverse, harmoniums, collaborative and creative. Everyone's ideas are heard and treated with respect. The training is outstanding, with both internal and external sources for training. Cross functional environment and heavy into project management and Six Sigma. They have awards for performance that is freely given. Job Well done!

ConsSalary increases, promotions, stock incentives are slow, low, and sometimes not at all. Many who leave EMC is to get higher salaries and intensives. Some come back after they get the increases from other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary increases, promotions, and serious career discussions.

Very stressful place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI got the opportunity to work with some of the most intelligent and driven people in my career at EMC.
    Because it is are large company and there is a lot of product integration you can build a large network of associates which can help solve process and technology issues.

ConsExecutive management always changing direction regardless of where you are in the product lifecycle.
    Constantly having layoffs so you never know when you will lose your job. Note, a side benefit of this is that the company rehires a large number of people they layoff.
    Can be a tough place to work, since the executives expect you to be available all the time and are constantly adding projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview layoff strategies, it does not seem to make sense to lay people off then rehire them the next quarter when a new budget is available. Maybe move them to another area and save the layoff costs.
    Consider that people have families too, freezing vacations is not a very good incentive to retain talent.

Wonderful Internship Experience

Global Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) Hopkinton, MA

ProsEMC has a very friendly and welcoming work environment. The company is very flexible with your work/life schedule and the pay is great. My department is very fast paced and keeps me busy with projects that help me to better understand my career goals. I was welcomed by a very supportive staff who rotates frequently to show me the various roles that our department has to offer. I love the fact that every building has a gym and café area, both which are very convenient.

ConsCar-pooling from Worcester gets a little irritating and expensive after a while. I think that the company should do a shuttle for interns who don't have cars. It will be more convenient! Also, I would like to see more diverse backgrounds giving full time employment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong work ethic, competes hard

Services (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFocused and driven culture, accountable employees, good online training opportunities, key player in IT industry. Moves fast and often seem to compete harder than many of our competitors. Much flexibility around work arrangements as long as work gets done.

ConsAnnual performance review process is inconsistent, sometimes received them, sometimes didn't. No company matching for charitable contributions.

Nice company

ProsGood working hours and environment, good benefits

Consnone that i am aware of

Advice to Senior ManagementYou rock!

Best big company I've ever worked for

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsAlways new technology to learn about and to add to product portfolio (double-edged sword, see below). Strong sense of corporate, division, and team support. Good compensation and benefits. Strong leadership at CEO and industry level, and decent agility in market.

ConsNo clear career path/options due to flat hierarchy and relevant roles. Non-stop product learning and sales cycle, but to be expected in sales team. Disconnect between corporate, commercial sales perspective vs realities of Federal sales (though this is quickly closing!).

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider creating more roles/opportunity for upward movement and leadership.

Great Company

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe team I worked with was a fantastic group of people. Human Resources stays on top of the newest and best benefits for the organization.

ConsWork/Life Balance is a bit off. Would like to have more "fun" brought back into the environment in the office.

Experience as a College Intern at EMC

College Intern (Current Employee) Southborough, MA

ProsSurrounded by hard working professionals who really love working at EMC. Many employees have worked here for their entire careers and will retire as EMC employees. Everyone buys into the company mission and help drive it's success. There is also a push to bring in more young talent to the old company.

Over the past 5 - 10 years they have created various entry level rotational programs modeled after GMs that help attract the best and brightest. With many training programs available to any interested employee, the culture encourages self improvement, and skill development.

They also do a good job of promoting an entrepreneurial spirit within the company by way of their EMC Innovation initiative.

ConsAs with any large corporation, it takes time to get stuff done with various security protocols and hoops to jump through. For example, if you need access to a certain test environment in order to get your work done, you might need to wait a couple days to begin being productive.

Communication is tough in a truly multinational company. When half of your team is in India and the other half is in Boston, the time difference and distance will be problems, and that is the case here.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn such a massive company, you are going to start off in a particularly small role. I would like to have had a more comprehensive introduction to the company as a whole, but particularly to my individual group. HR did a good job of convincing me that EMC is the place to be going into the future, but I would have liked a more structured introduction to my project/team

Good company, stuck with legacy technology & customer base

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hopkinton, MA

ProsStrong can-do culture
    Visionary leadership and still an industry leader
    Good pay
    Good at Sales and Engineering - execution is key

ConsHas become too cumbersome organizationally
    Not nimble enough in reacting to changing market
    Need to act more as a global company

Advice to Senior ManagementExperiment more - try new business models, tiger teams/spinouts for new technologies

Emc was a great place to work!!

Implementation Delivery Engineer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat Pay also I worked in a great group of people!!!!!

ConsVery Political Company!! Very clicky!!

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!