EMC Reviews

3.7
EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci
Joe Tucci
1,521 Ratings

Pros
  • Work/life balance in most system administration functions are good if you can set deliberate limits with managers (uncomfortable to say the least) (in 185 reviews)

• Work from home option for some teams (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is off but comes with the territory (in 92 reviews)

• Still a big company with all that comes with it (in 49 reviews)

2,428 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great company, knowledgeable management, good benefits

I have been working at EMC

Pros

The benefits here are good. The company is on top and still on the rise. The management knows what they are doing and where they are going.

Cons

Salary is lower than average despite the good benefits. The future career plans of the individual is not particularly cared for.

If you're looking for a job, look to EMC first.

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at EMC

Pros

EMC is an amazing place to work, with unlimited possibilities. As an employee, you have a huge amount of information at your fingertips, and their training programs are awsome. I took this job right out of college, so it was perfect for me to get my fingers into everything, even if the job didn't require it. There is a lot of opportunity for job growth as well, you can continue along the 'track' of your choice up to a particular position, or you can switch tracks with your managers approval. If you decide what you're doing isn't right for you, there's another job within EMC waiting for you. I also love to travel, which fits perfectly with my job at EMC, and as I get older and want to settle, they have residency programs to keep travel to a minimum. And because EMC is world-wide, I can always put in for a transfer if I want a change of scenery. Stock options, yearly reviews, good health care and 401k options complete picture.

Cons

EMC is a big company, and with any big company, you might feel a bit small to begin with. EMC also requires a two year contract for certain positions, such as mine, which limits mobility for that time.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing, as long as I feel recognized for my work I'll be happy.

3. A great job where the information lives

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist in San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist in San Juan, PR

I have been working at EMC

Pros

EMC offers a great combination of leading edge technology exposure, good compesations , career growth thru Internal/External trainings and EMC University. EMC employees must be involved from basic to complex configuration involving all O/S flavor and with interoperability with all other vendors.

Cons

employees need to be prepared to long hours mostly overnight implementations. Not for the faint of heart job, stressing condition while on projects.

Advice to Management

Dedicated a little more time to the region, keep in mind that we are a mix of Latin and North American culture. Not all imported strategic models are appropiate or suitable for this region.

5. I loved EMC as an intern, it's my top choice for getting a full-time job!

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Hopkinton, MA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Hopkinton, MA

I worked at EMC

Pros

I like the administration and managers. I think what makes a company great is their administration, when you have a corrupt administration the company falls to that level. But this one was far from that. The CEO seems likeable and all the managers I've interacted with are down-to-earth and helpful, genuinely good managers. :)

Cons

It can be a lot of work. I was only an intern so I didn't have a whole lot of work, but all the full-time employees there had lots of work. There was frequent overtime, and my supervisor struggled to put aside time to train me.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, I think it's great!

6. Passion, Smarts, Drive and Results Rule at EMC

Current Employee - Vice President in Hopkinton, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

The drive, passion, motivation and 'set the bar at best' expectations of the peers. The environment continually renews and no day is EVER dull. The career opportunities are limitless. We have offices in over 80 countries and have made over 40 acquisitions in the last four years. There are several business units that people can transfer in and out of. The training programs have been rated as the best in all of the technology industry by Training Magazine for the past two years. In 2008, Training rated EMC second in the world to all companies in all industries for our training and development offerings. In my time at EMC, I have worked four different departments and have taken on a new assignment (career growth) every 12 - 36 months. I've worked for the company for over 15 years.

Cons

No day is ever dull. This is a company that executes and expects great work. You need to bring your A-game every day. Your peers expect the best from you. It is a place where only the truly passionate, smart, creative, customer-centric, results-centric and motivated thrive. If you hit that level of performance, you will be rewarded and feel great personal accomplishment. This is not a place big on cuddles and 9-5 hours. Our version of fun is 'challenge' and delivering a win against that challenge. We're all goal focused and accountable to the business results.

Advice to Management

They're doing a great job -- getting EMC into social media and true global collaboration has been a big win in the past year. It is building a feeling of a small company culture even though we now have about 40,000 employees. We're getting more progressive on alternative work schedules and work locations. We're piloting a big program on that now. It would be nice to get this program rolled out to everyone even faster.

7. Having a lot of fun here.

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Since I started here about 18 months ago, it has beeen a great place to work. I've got a wide variety of tasks to work on, but not too many. My manager listens to me, and is probably the best manager I've ever had. The company encourages a good work-life balance, and the work loads are reasonable- with management providing plenty of help to make sure that we don't have too much work to do, and not enough time. This helps me to balance my life. We also have excellent employee morale, and people have a great sense of humor in general. It is genuinely a fun place to work. I feel like I'm playing every day when I come in.

Cons

Getting needed Hardware can be a pain- and getting needed storage in a storage - in a storage company.

Advice to Management

We need to get rid of some of the overhead and process, and improve places where it is too light.

8. Not your same old EMC anymore...

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

You are challenged on a daily basis (you will NOT be bored!), opportunity to work with amazing and innovative technology (we are WAY more than RAID). Leading software, services and hardware technologies - largely unmatched in the market.

Cons

it's a big place. If you want to be a big fish right out of the gate, that will be hard until you prove yourself. (I think that is part of the fun...). Working for a 38,000 person company is very different than a 1,000 to 5,000 person organization. More difficult to navigate at times, and policies can be a little cumbersome. Compared to many other very large organizations I have seen, I still believe we are stronger than most, even in our challenging internal areas.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open minded to new, creative ideas. Push the envelope, try new things and give new ideas outside of Hopkinton value and attention. Senior leadership has come a long way in the past 5 years in this area and think it can only help us get stronger.

9. EMC - Your first and last stop for your career.

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Tampa, FL

I have been working at EMC

Pros

Great people, excellent pay and lots of opportunities for growth within the organization. We keep buying companies so there is bound to be something that I would like to do if I get tired of my current job. You also have the flexibility to work remotely or from your home ofifce for most positions. Great people and its truly a team based organization.

Cons

Integration of the companies we purchase with our existing product lines. We also need more offices around the country.

Advice to Management

I would say please recognize your rising stars and ensure that they have an opportunity to work remotely and express themselves and let them try new things out. You will be surprised how much people can do if you give them the opportunity.

10. great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EMC

Pros

evaluations are fair and decisions are logical

Cons

working here will not make you rich

Advice to Management

great work!

11. A global company that knows how to treat its employees.

Former Employee - Business Operations Intern in Hopkinton, MA
    Former Employee - Business Operations Intern in Hopkinton, MA

I worked at EMC

Pros

Good compensation, benefits and people all in one place. People do not say it is "hard" to get into EMC for no reason. I particularly enjoy working with technology and supporting a company that not only cares about your personal health, but also is socially responsible and supports communities around the globe, especially ones in the U.S. The company tries to get its employees to work out regularly (with a gym on site) and also will do everything to help you learn more and achieve your career goals. The benefits are good and are at least comparable or better than other companies of the area.

Cons

The site is somewhat remote and there is little chance to get lunch close by. The atmosphere could be a little more up beat at times. I did feel that I was in a dentist's office a few times, but for the most part the experience was better than that. The building layout is somewhat symmetrical and does get very confusing for those who first walk around, I have gotten lost quite a few times. In all fairness though, there are maps and labeled halls everywhere so that you can find your way around. People are friendly and willing to talk as long as they are not busy with work. Usually the environment is fast paced and there is not a whole lot of useless chatting that goes on, which could be a plus/minus depending on your personality. Cube life is probably the worst part about working there, but they are trying new things to make that less isolating and more practical for the employee.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to follow sounds strategy. Remember that you do not always know more than those under you, listen to advice and make a decision based on understanding, not assumption.

Showing 2,428 of 2,591 reviews