EMC

3.5 1,831 reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

(1,218 ratings)

Pros
  • work/life balance is pretty good, a lot of trainings if you have time to attend(in 164 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well(in 84 reviews)

• Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at(in 44 reviews)

1,831 Employee Reviews

Great benefits, sub-par pay

Technical Support Engineer II (Current Employee) Draper, UT

ProsHealth, dental, vision are all excellent depending on your plan. They offer incentives that are easy to complete to reduce what you pay. They have a wealth of knowledge available to you. Tuition reimbursement is excellent compared to the industry average.

ConsThe salary is not at all what I feel it should be even with the attractive benefits. They try but it seems they are set on shareholder payout vs. employee compensation. There should be a balance but right now there is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you do not want high attrition rates then I would recommend increasing salary. Happy employees = satisfied customers = more/repeat business.

All that glitters is not gold.

Technical Support Engineer II (Current Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsThey do normally pay over the standard (at least they did in the Atlanta area). They also allowed us to work from home frequently. Great benefits.

ConsIt's all about the mighty dollar. They don't seem to have any concern about the employees themselves. You are constantly blindsided by decisions that significantly alter your employment and life. You can put in numerous hours of overtime, go above and beyond and still not see any compensation while you watch others around you get promoted because they sit around and chit chat directly with the boss.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe worst part of management is that it seems to have revolving doors and none of the visions that any management has get actualized. The direction of the company changes fast. I understand the technology is constantly changing and you have to keep up. However, it would be nice to have notification on how the changes mentioned in the town hall actually are going to effect the different groups. Be upfront and honest and you wont seem so sneaky, manipulative and self centered.

Career suicide

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Proswork/life balance is pretty good, a lot of trainings if you have time to attend

Consworst line managers I have ever seen:
    1, a lot of meetings, most of them are useless, just talk about the same topic again and again
    2, does not care about your career path, e.g. never provide any help if you ask for more responsibility
    3, managers have absurd mindset: encourage to send out spam emails to increase 'visibility'
    4, no product plan, the only work left is to fix bugs, create bugs, and fix again
    5, the codebase is obselete, you will not find other jobs with that old technology in EMC, like Eiffel
    6, very limited career opportunity: converged storage products, most of the 'improvements' is upgrading the hardware with new intel chips and more disks
    7, their 'new technology' is the create some mixture of their disk arrays and vmware products, like VCE
    8, low pay, flat increase
    9, manager does not know technology, e.g. mananger does not know how to copy a file in Linux (the product environment is Linux)
    10, no innovation

ProsDoor to Door Pick and drop
    Good shift allowance
    Nice work culture
    No micro managment

ConsAfter this company you cannot think of switching

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Many good engineers and mangers

Principal Hardware Engineer (Former Employee) Hopkinton, MA

ProsMany good engineers and mangers. Working environment in smalls group is great. People work hard and are very diligent. Company culture is good.

ConsAt the higher level of management there is a lot of uncertainty and often lack of clear vision. I cannot speak about whole EMC only about the part I have worked in. Big corporation has become somewhat slow and clumsy in its processes. Too much burocracy

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should show more appreciation to the engineers. EMC is a leader in the high tech industry and as such should value its human capital

Not a healthy environment to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1. Regular updates on the technology front.
    2. Aggressive and very professional approach toward deadlines and deliverables.
    3. Decent pick up and drop facilities if working late.
    4. If required, interest free loan is available after 6 months in the job.

Cons1. Office politics spoils the eagerness to work.
    2. Work environment is not very conducive for growth.
    3. Employees hang around just to say that they had to stay late.
    4. Very bad management. Accountability of the first/second line manager towards the employee is pathetic.
    5. Managers have tendency to keep making phone calls even at late hours in the night. Make the employees come to office on weekends as well.
    6. Even lady employees (mostly unmarried ones) stay late in office(sometimes after 11 pm) to create an image that they are working a lot. Sending of emails at 2:00am, 3:00am, 4:00 am, is not uncommon.

Advice to Senior Management1. WAKE UP
    2. Ensure employees do not stay in office unnecessarily
    3. Ensure first/second line managers find more time for their employees and set positive examples

Great workplace and culture, and very friendly people and managers.

Intern (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsWork atmosphere, transparency within the system

ConsNot appropriate if you are into hardcore development or innovation, and not the greatest pay

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps push the guys to apply themselves much more

An OK place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Apex, NC

ProsFriendly people to work with. decent pay. There is opportunity to with in the company providing that you know someone.

ConsIt is really hard to get hired on, unless you know somebody higher up in the company. you can't plan anything the last two weekends of every quarter because you will be working. The way they treat there contractors is terrible.

Biased Mgmt, bullying culture and unfair

SMS (Current Employee) Hopkinton, RI

ProsShift timings, latest tech stuff

ConsBullies - bullying culture and unfair

Advice to Senior ManagementNone as they don't listen

Amazing people

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsWork life balance, Nice people

Conscan't think of anything else

Advice to Senior Managementcan't think of anything

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!