EMC Reviews

1,912 Reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci
Joe Tucci
1,270 Ratings

Pros
  • work/life balance is pretty good, a lot of trainings if you have time to attend (in 164 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well (in 84 reviews)

• Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

excellent, until they put the wrong people into certain positions.

Former Employee - Technical Manager  in  Franklin, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Franklin, MA

I worked at EMC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good pay,benefits, hours, flexible, time off

Cons

to political of an environment. to many chiefs no indians. they put the wrong people in high positions who dont belong. higher ups do not know how to treat people. should have classes for managers/supervisors how to treat people and lead.

listen to the employees when there is a complaint and act on it. when more than one person complains about the same individual something is wrong. and dont sweep it under the rug.

Close minded with army mentality

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I honestly can't think of any

Cons

High stress environment for no apparent reason. Senior management have been there for their entire career and cater to people who are just like them. If you have different ideas/recommendations you will be labeled as a "trouble maker." HR is not there for the people but to help weed out the weak and support the 20 year veterans who have final say no matter what. Public humiliation is the norm.

I have no advice because nothing will change this culture.

not a good company to join

I have been working at EMC

Pros

good salary and thats about it.

Cons

this company is focusing more on outsourcing all projects to india and cutting jobs in North american region so I do not recommend anybody to go for it.

the work environment is also not very good.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Old Boys Club with questionable ethics

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everybody knows EMC and having it on your resume is positive yet nobody will ask you why you want to leave. Great career advancement opportunity if you are a white male who trophy hunts and spends time with colleagues at the bar.

Cons

- Fear and shame based management -Who you know vs what you know success factor -Aggressive to point that drives many to enage in unethical behaviour which is often condoned

Take HR seriously. Management needs training. Biased culture so pervasive that it is normalized. Noi work life balance.

How does this place get "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Brentford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Brentford, England (UK)

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Market leading products.
    Purchased many companies that have provided good services.
    Really cannot say much more.

Cons

The company is well below par. Managers manage managers. Too much politics, most of the employees are unhappy with the salary. Departments such as Marketing and Local IT where the lower salaried employees do all the work yet the managers are getting bonuses.

Look at the managers closely a lot of details are being pushed away. The employes are extremely unhappy with the granular management that occurs.

Terrible!

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at EMC full-time for more than a year

Pros

None! ....I guess the only thing is the pay and that you'll learn a lot!

Cons

Be prepared to be treated like crap, work 50-70 hour weeks and get no recognition for it, and after taking the time to learn EMC's technology and industry, to be let go for some one with more experience...perhaps in the corporate office, the experience is different.

Take the time to get to know your employees and see their potential. Don't ruin their careers when you see the first sign that they don't have enough technical knowledge about a product. Also, avoid defamation, and fraudulent claims on the PIP plans. Don't set your employees up to fail, or make promises and agreements where you mislead them. I know former EMC employees who are considering suing their former managers or EMC.

Political, misdirected, uninspiring

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive pay and good benefits. Does attract some highly talented technical staff at the low levels. EMC has a good brand name for now. Hosts good conferences.

Cons

Invests too much in overseas product development which will tarnish the EMC brand soon due to poor product quality. The middle management at EMC is uninspiring and untalented with very dated skills which leads to an aggressively political environment. Much of the leadership is too fearful of retribution for making a wrong decision which inevitably causes lost opportunities. The culture at EMC looks to blame others rather than getting the work done and often takes credit from someone else's efforts and accomplishments.

At your next employee survey ask questions regarding the topics in the Cons section and allow the employees to specifically identify the incompetent management by name. You'll soon see who truly needs to be "restructured" rather than laying off the hard working and dedicated workers. And open your eyes to the true cost of offshoring your software development and bring those jobs back to the US.

Disgraceful company

Current Employee - DCOPS  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - DCOPS in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at EMC full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pros I can think of are that one day I will no longer work here. Its another faceless company that makes billions and squeezes every drop it can get from its workers for little reward.

Cons

So much pressure from the word go gets put on you to get managers their massive bonuses and nothing will get in the way of that -NOthing! Employment law doesnt matter to these guys. Say goodbye to your social life and friends cos you just wont see them cos you will either be in work or you will be exhausted from doing an on call rotation or just expected to work overtime for free. The attitude of management is verypoor and remember the more you do the more this gets taken for granted.

Keep up the good work! That is if you want to keep destroying this once fine company

Horrifying

Current Employee - Material Handler  in  Franklin Square, NY
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Franklin Square, NY

I have been working at EMC as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros at EMC

Cons

We're to starts well 1#EOQ long hours and is not voulentered your are told to works crazy hours or your fired 2# fake shipments that are shipped out for revue that go out and come back in doors down 3# managers are afraid of there boss and will not stick up for anyone
    4# people have not gotten raise in 5 plus years 5# should a child of a manager work for there parent and get away with murder.

You really need to listen to your employees you works us to the bone and we don't ever see the reward for our work .

Go

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company in terms of benefits, facilities etc.

Cons

Everything under Manager control and is easy for abuse

There is no checks & balances to ensure Manager's role is not abused. So fix it.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!