EMC

3.5 1,840 reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

(1,223 ratings)

Pros
  • work/life balance is pretty good, a lot of trainings if you have time to attend (in 164 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well (in 84 reviews)

• Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights
1,840 Employee Reviews

Boring.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people were friendly. The building was clean. They paid me on time.

ConsThe people lacked enthusiasm. It felt like a dying company.

Good Job if you are single

ACSE (Current Employee) Glen Allen, VA

ProsThey say Family comes first but you have to be available 24/7 very high levels of stress and a lot of traveling that weighs heavy on any family

ConsWork-life balance and you have to go through thirty steps to move a step ahead in your schedule they are using a horrendous app call work force management that causes the employee lots of hardship they have lost many good employees due to this procedure.

EMC is a diverse workplace with great benefits and employees who genuinely care about their jobs.

Associate Program Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsMost of the people I work with (here in Santa Clara) are very open-minded, collaborative, and have the main goal in mind: Deliver the best possible service to our customers. The benefits are great. For example, when I took a maternity leave, our company offers the Short Term Disability Buy Up Program, and if enrolled, you are covered through MetLife which is EMC's own insurance, so as to make sure you receive your regular salary while you are on Maternity Leave. I thought this was awesome as many companies just leave you hanging, and you only get what the state is willing to give you.

The managers here are great, and always willing to help you reach not only your career goals but personal goals as well. The company has a program where they will pay for your higher education and certifications as well. There are many perks to working here at EMC. My experience has been fantastic.

We have free coffee, tea, soda, snacks, cereal and milk which is great! There is also a free gym on site.

Did I mention VERY competitive pay?

ConsThe cafeteria is not very good in our building (lacks in terms of quality and I've dealt with some, lets just say "moldy" situations)

Advice to Senior ManagementFor some reason my bonuses were taken away, not sure why that happened, it was explained in a very fuzzy manner. I still received a raise but I'm unclear as to why I no longer receive quarterly bonuses or participate in the quarterly Goals program...?? Maybe some better communication is needed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Performance is always rewarded!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros1. The company makes products at all the layers of enterprise storage solution. It has cloud and virtualization through VMWare, Security through RSA, File and Block storage (EMC Core), Flash storage, Backup solutions (Data Domain), Big Data (Greenplum) and so on. The company has a huge potential to make a sell these solutions as a package and monopolize the storage industry.

2. Makes products to cater to everyone. Low, Mid and High range storage solutions - which has the potential to make EMC products ubiquitous.

3. The company recognizes talent and good performance is always rewarded - a gesture that is highly important for the company to retain talent.

4. Most teams are made of people who have been at EMC for 25+ years who bring rich experience and knowledge to every discussion that happens in the team.

5. The company holds nearly a third of the market share in storage and is growing each year. When you have such safety net for your job, there are very little distractions for your creative thinking.

6. The company has one of the best benefits package in the industry.

Cons1. With big companies and so many mergers, there is very little uniformity across different components. That leads to huge challenges in performing even a simple operation of checking in your code. One gets the feeling that the management is not doing enough to make this process smoother.

2. Compensation is, at best, average. This is not the company for you if you want to make quick bucks.

Good hi tech, market dominance, but getting too big

Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSmart people, generally good work-life balance, successful company with regular bonuses, medium politics, good leaders, attempts to be socially aware and supportive.

ConsGenerally mediocre benefits, especially for a hi tech leader. Noticeably against work from home even when you interact with NO ONE in your office. Decent pay, but stingy with it. Growing mound of legacy products and code whose organic grow makes clean enhancements more and more difficult, but even though there's never time to do it right, there's always time to do it over. More and more pressure to do more with less, and wear multiple hats. Politics glaringly present in RIF decisions. Proud of themselves when they tout successes and new positive employee programs, but incredibly opaque when yearly reviews and raises are unilaterally slipped a quarter! Smallish stock awards compared to other software companies, and it can take the board four months or more to authorize them after you've been offered them!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're going to burn out R&D if you keep insisting on accelerating product development against aging architectures that require more and more care to keep intact. Enterprise software is complicated and HAS to work, and that means care and feeding more than you grew used to when it was all newly written! Back off on the neverending pressure and let Engineering doing its job correctly, rather than bully from the top and then complain about the resulting stumbles and delays. Poor planning on your part should not mean a crisis for me!

Mostly great people with a few laggards

Advisory Systems Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOn the whole, a hard working group of pros who are intelligent and have a good understanding of the ecosystem - peers, competitors, partners, and adjacent businesses. The company is making the transition from a legacy storage business to a next-gen stack provider with Pivotal and VMware in the mix and is poised to be one of the few survivors of this epic transformation of the IT industry. Job mobility is reasonably good and career opportunities are good.

ConsLaggards remain who only want to sell big boxes of disks, and many still don't understand the difference between infrastructure and what cloud really means. Fortunately, these are the minority and this group is shrinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing the federation story but bring the organizations much closer together.

Very Good Company with a VERY sales focused culture

Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsEMC does a good job or ensuring everyone is going to market with the same vision and message - that in itself is impressive for a company of 50,000 + employees. Compensation is very competitive - if you can fit in with the culture (think college jocks) and perform, then the sky is the limit. EMC does great at buying and integrating companies - that is the source of innovation.

ConsThey control expenses using headcount - when I worked at EMC they couldn't track headcount accurately, so they would arbitrarily freeze hiring and expenses all the time. It made planning difficult. The company really struggles with diversity because the culture is geared towards white, male, ex-college athletes. That is obviously a generalization, but so common that it used to make me laugh all the time. They buy a lot of companies and only a few get the investment required to be successful long term. EMC has some marketing leading technologies along with some 3rd rate products. It can be hard for the customers to tell the difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop recycling failed executives and bring in some outside talent.

Awesome people

ProsGreat salary, great smart people!

ConsNeeds to stop setting unreachable sales goals so the good ones stay

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons

Software Engineer

ProsGood work atmosphere and work culture

ConsNo career opportunity are not clearly defined.

Big company - with the pros and cons to prove it

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Hopkinton, MA

ProsReasonably stable, good benefits, some depts have very flexible work hours/shedules

ConsBig company politics; easy to get "pigeon holed" in a role, significant barriers to innovation (they like small improvements but anything disruptive they prefer to buy other companies or bring in from outside).

Advice to Senior ManagementLook back a the company's engineering start and work to re-capture that innovative, positive atmosphere where risks on new ideas/technology was embraced. Remove those in management more interested in building THEIR organizations and replace with folks working for the company.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!