EMCORE

EMCORE President, CEO, and Director Hong Q. Hou

Hong Q. Hou

Great people, interesting technology

Manager (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe employees were dedicated, talented, and most departments had a family feel to them. My VP was one of the best executives/leaders with whom I've ever had the pleasure to work - highly competent and innovative with contagious enthusiasm.

ConsUps and downs of the business could be very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay & benefits were outstanding...but don't rely on that as the sole method of retaining your employees.

Emcore has the potential to be a market leader, but the internal disfunctional management is killing this company

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe cutting edge technology in several areas is an incentive to work at this company.
    And I liked the can-do attitude to get problems solved at the technical level.

ConsThere were several million-dollar programs that were being run as graduate student projects. No documentation, no work processes, and 'star' leaders that would not work with anyone. Teamwork was not something that was encouraged, and individual mistakes were severely punished.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in an experienced business management team and demote the PhD's to technical leadership. Focus on the value of product lines, and the actual costs of each product line. Install teamwork processes, and create business processes and structures. Make the effort to really value your personnel, instead of using them as a cash-flow balancing tool.

Great people to work with..challenging environment

IT Manager (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsEmcore is on the leading edge of fiber optic and photovoltaic technology. I've worked with some of the smartest people and made life long friends.

ConsThe photovoltaic division managers have no idea how to motivate people. They manage by bullying and threats rather than positive feedback. They do not convey a consistent vision and stray too much from the companies core competencies in order to expand the business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

waste of time

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Alhambra, CA

Prosnone, none , none , none

ConsLayoffs , Layoffs and more Layoffs .... good people are leaving .
    Record success in loosing $$ year after year .

Advice to Senior ManagementFind new management

Good people and good ideas flushed down the drain by incredibly inept management

Engineer (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe technical staff who work here are typically incredibly knowledgeable and talented.

ConsThe high talent level is dragged down by an inability to remove obvious dead weight, which typically moves up the ladder with this company. If you are useless, or are good at sounding intelligent without putting any effort into your ideas you should apply today with this company, you will probably make manager within a few years. Salaries are abysmal, and the rewards are only verbal. If you can pay your bills with "atta-boys" you will be just fine. Unfortunately, most of us need an monetary investment in our personal worth from our employer. The saddest part is that everyone at the company who is not buddy-buddy with senior management knows that it is a terrible company, and has grown to expect things to not change.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo join a terrorist organization, so they can benefit from your highly effective ways at demoralizing members and destroying competent people.

Emcore is one of to many companies that treat the employees with respect, professionalism, and support.

Maintenance Technicianll (Former Employee) Alhambra, CA

ProsIn Emcore is a company that you can learn a lot of work and increase you skills and experiences in the field

ConsThe team work is good and if you have an opinion how to do better way to work the respect that opinion or advise.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Facilities Maintenance Management. Is great cause they always see on you safety first and they make the best for you in the work area. And attending safety meetings.

Bad management and poor performance, it is about time for a change of some top C-Level management

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) Alhambra, CA

ProsQuality engineering , some departments have very advance skills and product portfolio.
    There are some good quality people but not when it get to Sr. management and C level management.
    Company has a great potential if they would made the right decision ( focus , cut overhead , invest ,etc)

Conslack of investment , lack of resources, no clear vision and focus, struggling to manage cash flow.
    work load is not balance in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk less do more! Stop promising things that you can't deliver.

One of the most dysfunctional companies I've ever worked at

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Alhambra, CA

ProsUmm.... I guess if you suck at your job then you might be safe here.

ConsPretty much everything from pay to incentives to equipment to employee morale and getting anything accomplished. Oh and the stock price performance is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. You're all talk and no substance. It amazes me that you're still employed in your capacity considering the stock price performance and the inability of your company to do anything well. If it wasn't for the US government propping you guys up you're house of cards would have been dead a long time ago. Talk is cheap and everyone worth keeping can see through your charades.

Poor management, poor training. China company taking control

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe are no pros other than I have a job this week. Some people are nice.

ConsNo raises, no bonus, benefits cut, no money to get tools needed to do job. Management hands off. Benefits horrible. Salary low. People do not help. 80s style management except its 30 years later.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the dead management out or just move to china.

Duct tape and Bailing wire

Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsSome very good people who are working very hard to keep the place afloat. These people are worth way more than they are getting.

ConsNo interest in fixing things the right way.....just slap it back together and keep the wafers moving.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you intend to keep the manufacturing in the states (questionable) then you will need to modernize some of your equipment.

Worked for EMCORE? Contribute to the Community!