EMCORE

Hong Q. Hou

Great people, interesting technology

Manager (Former Employee)
    Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe employees were dedicated, talented, and most departments had a family feel to them. My VP was one of the best executives/leaders with whom I've ever had the pleasure to work - highly competent and innovative with contagious enthusiasm.

ConsUps and downs of the business could be very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay & benefits were outstanding...but don't rely on that as the sole method of retaining your employees.

Great people to work with..challenging environment

IT Manager (Former Employee)
    Albuquerque, NM

ProsEmcore is on the leading edge of fiber optic and photovoltaic technology. I've worked with some of the smartest people and made life long friends.

ConsThe photovoltaic division managers have no idea how to motivate people. They manage by bullying and threats rather than positive feedback. They do not convey a consistent vision and stray too much from the companies core competencies in order to expand the business.

waste of time

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)

Prosnone, none , none , none

ConsLayoffs , Layoffs and more Layoffs .... good people are leaving .
    Record success in loosing $$ year after year .

Advice to Senior ManagementFind new management

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people and good ideas flushed down the drain by incredibly inept management

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe technical staff who work here are typically incredibly knowledgeable and talented.

ConsThe high talent level is dragged down by an inability to remove obvious dead weight, which typically moves up the ladder with this company. If you are useless, or are good at sounding intelligent without putting any effort into your ideas you should apply today with this company, you will probably make manager within a few years. Salaries are abysmal, and the rewards are only verbal. If you can pay your bills with "atta-boys" you will be just fine. Unfortunately, most of us need an monetary investment in our personal worth from our employer. The saddest part is that everyone at the company who is not buddy-buddy with senior management knows that it is a terrible company, and has grown to expect things to not change.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo join a terrorist organization, so they can benefit from your highly effective ways at demoralizing members and destroying competent people.

Emcore is one of to many companies that treat the employees with respect, professionalism, and support.

Maintenance Technicianll (Former Employee)
    Alhambra, CA

ProsIn Emcore is a company that you can learn a lot of work and increase you skills and experiences in the field

ConsThe team work is good and if you have an opinion how to do better way to work the respect that opinion or advise.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Facilities Maintenance Management. Is great cause they always see on you safety first and they make the best for you in the work area. And attending safety meetings.

Bad management and poor performance, it is about time for a change of some top C-Level management

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Alhambra, CA

ProsQuality engineering , some departments have very advance skills and product portfolio.
    There are some good quality people but not when it get to Sr. management and C level management.
    Company has a great potential if they would made the right decision ( focus , cut overhead , invest ,etc)

Conslack of investment , lack of resources, no clear vision and focus, struggling to manage cash flow.
    work load is not balance in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk less do more! Stop promising things that you can't deliver.

One of the most dysfunctional companies I've ever worked at

Principal Engineer (Former Employee)
    Alhambra, CA

ProsUmm.... I guess if you suck at your job then you might be safe here.

ConsPretty much everything from pay to incentives to equipment to employee morale and getting anything accomplished. Oh and the stock price performance is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. You're all talk and no substance. It amazes me that you're still employed in your capacity considering the stock price performance and the inability of your company to do anything well. If it wasn't for the US government propping you guys up you're house of cards would have been dead a long time ago. Talk is cheap and everyone worth keeping can see through your charades.

Poor management, poor training. China company taking control

Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe are no pros other than I have a job this week. Some people are nice.

ConsNo raises, no bonus, benefits cut, no money to get tools needed to do job. Management hands off. Benefits horrible. Salary low. People do not help. 80s style management except its 30 years later.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the dead management out or just move to china.

Duct tape and Bailing wire

Maintenance Technician (Current Employee)
    Albuquerque, NM

ProsSome very good people who are working very hard to keep the place afloat. These people are worth way more than they are getting.

ConsNo interest in fixing things the right way.....just slap it back together and keep the wafers moving.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you intend to keep the manufacturing in the states (questionable) then you will need to modernize some of your equipment.

Rowing the boat with one paddle.

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Newark, CA

ProsLaid back work environment. Good work/life balance. There was a solid foundation at least from a resource standpoint after the divestiture from Intel.

ConsClear lack of direction from senior management. Their acquisition of Intel's Optical Platform Division was followed by sugar coated kool aid speeches of how the employees are the most important asset. Six months later there was a mass layoff because of The Great Recession. Those who were left were given promotions even though they were not the best candidates to fill in the void. To say that title inflation runs amok at that place is an understatement. My very job was posted on the company's website a year ago, and I was not even given time of day after applying again. Wow, so you didn't even consider calling back those you laid off? Quality costs, but it looks like you don't want to put your money where your mouth is after reading the other reviews by current and former employees.

I cringe thinking what has become of all the top shelf test and capital equipment that is languishing in a shelf or storage area. I'd love to use a fraction of it in my current job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know who replaced the senior management that left during the great purge, but they seem to be no better. You failed to retain the best and the brightest and it shows in your standing in the fiber optics space

Worked for EMCORE? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMCORE reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EMCORE CEO Hong Q. Hou. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by EMCORE employees.