EMCORE Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
2.0

EMCORE President, CEO, and Director Hong Q. Hou
Hong Q. Hou

Great place with some needed changes.

Current Employee - Information Technology  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at EMCORE full-time

Pros

The atmosphere here is great and the management has a laid back approach to the personnel management process. I have a fluctuating schedule and my boss is more than open to me changing my schedule for the benefit of my family and school work. I came from the military before this job and the people have been understanding and have allowed me to take some time off to get my affairs in order during the moving process. Management here is for the most part easy to work with and have been more than understanding with some of the lack of experience I have in certain areas of my career field and have made a genuine effort to help me with those flaws and build on them. If you are going to school they will assist you by paying out up to 5000$ to assist you with school expenses after the school semester based on performance in the class room. if you are a Vet this company isn't one that looks at you in the social pariah kind of way. The CEO CFO and the Production managers are respectful and address you as a professional and a person. they do fun things like pay for flag football, participating in local fun events, raffles for Ipads and kindles , crossfit, book fairs and even rewarding employees with gift cards for participating in the companies healthy lifestyle promotions.

Cons

the atmosphere here is great but the management has a bad habit of moving people into management positions without the experience or the qualifications needed. the company is growing but has a bad habit of flooding the workplace with "expendable employees" who are often laid off when the production slows down. politics, politics, politics the maturity of some employees is what causes politics in any work environment but in the management positions specifically at this company its a big problem. I have seen a disturbing trend in the case that the company often bottlenecks jobs or assigns tasks with no back up or training of others to perform the job, and obviously when people leave or quit it puts others in the department between a rock and a hard place and makes the department top heavy and sometimes renders them unable to complete there job

Share the wealth make sure that there is always someone who knows how to perform another persons daily tasks and responsibilities at the work place and ensure that managers take a professional and competent way of escalating issues between the multiple departments. I think the biggest thing is stop with mass hiring's if there is a possibility of layoff's, I feel that all of the production work load would balance out if there was a better flow of information and cross training employees could mitigate the layoffs and production issues.

Emcore has the potential to be a market leader, but the internal disfunctional management is killing this company

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at EMCORE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The cutting edge technology in several areas is an incentive to work at this company.
    And I liked the can-do attitude to get problems solved at the technical level.

Cons

There were several million-dollar programs that were being run as graduate student projects. No documentation, no work processes, and 'star' leaders that would not work with anyone. Teamwork was not something that was encouraged, and individual mistakes were severely punished.

Bring in an experienced business management team and demote the PhD's to technical leadership. Focus on the value of product lines, and the actual costs of each product line. Install teamwork processes, and create business processes and structures. Make the effort to really value your personnel, instead of using them as a cash-flow balancing tool.

Great people, interesting technology

Former Employee - Manager  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at EMCORE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The employees were dedicated, talented, and most departments had a family feel to them. My VP was one of the best executives/leaders with whom I've ever had the pleasure to work - highly competent and innovative with contagious enthusiasm.

Cons

Ups and downs of the business could be very stressful.

Pay & benefits were outstanding...but don't rely on that as the sole method of retaining your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people to work with..challenging environment

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at EMCORE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Emcore is on the leading edge of fiber optic and photovoltaic technology. I've worked with some of the smartest people and made life long friends.

Cons

The photovoltaic division managers have no idea how to motivate people. They manage by bullying and threats rather than positive feedback. They do not convey a consistent vision and stray too much from the companies core competencies in order to expand the business.

waste of time

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Alhambra, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Alhambra, CA

I worked at EMCORE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

none, none , none , none

Cons

Layoffs , Layoffs and more Layoffs .... good people are leaving .
    Record success in loosing $$ year after year .

Find new management

Good people and good ideas flushed down the drain by incredibly inept management

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at EMCORE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The technical staff who work here are typically incredibly knowledgeable and talented.

Cons

The high talent level is dragged down by an inability to remove obvious dead weight, which typically moves up the ladder with this company. If you are useless, or are good at sounding intelligent without putting any effort into your ideas you should apply today with this company, you will probably make manager within a few years. Salaries are abysmal, and the rewards are only verbal. If you can pay your bills with "atta-boys" you will be just fine. Unfortunately, most of us need an monetary investment in our personal worth from our employer. The saddest part is that everyone at the company who is not buddy-buddy with senior management knows that it is a terrible company, and has grown to expect things to not change.

Go join a terrorist organization, so they can benefit from your highly effective ways at demoralizing members and destroying competent people.

Emcore is one of to many companies that treat the employees with respect, professionalism, and support.

Former Employee - Maintenance Technicianll  in  Alhambra, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technicianll in Alhambra, CA

I worked at EMCORE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In Emcore is a company that you can learn a lot of work and increase you skills and experiences in the field

Cons

The team work is good and if you have an opinion how to do better way to work the respect that opinion or advise.

The Facilities Maintenance Management. Is great cause they always see on you safety first and they make the best for you in the work area. And attending safety meetings.

Bad management and poor performance, it is about time for a change of some top C-Level management

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Alhambra, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Alhambra, CA

I have been working at EMCORE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Quality engineering , some departments have very advance skills and product portfolio.
    There are some good quality people but not when it get to Sr. management and C level management.
    Company has a great potential if they would made the right decision ( focus , cut overhead , invest ,etc)

Cons

lack of investment , lack of resources, no clear vision and focus, struggling to manage cash flow.
    work load is not balance in some areas.

Talk less do more! Stop promising things that you can't deliver.

One of the most dysfunctional companies I've ever worked at

Former Employee - Principal Engineer  in  Alhambra, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Alhambra, CA

I worked at EMCORE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Umm.... I guess if you suck at your job then you might be safe here.

Cons

Pretty much everything from pay to incentives to equipment to employee morale and getting anything accomplished. Oh and the stock price performance is a joke.

Quit. You're all talk and no substance. It amazes me that you're still employed in your capacity considering the stock price performance and the inability of your company to do anything well. If it wasn't for the US government propping you guys up you're house of cards would have been dead a long time ago. Talk is cheap and everyone worth keeping can see through your charades.

Poor management, poor training. China company taking control

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at EMCORE full-time for more than a year

Pros

The are no pros other than I have a job this week. Some people are nice.

Cons

No raises, no bonus, benefits cut, no money to get tools needed to do job. Management hands off. Benefits horrible. Salary low. People do not help. 80s style management except its 30 years later.

Get the dead management out or just move to china.

Worked for EMCORE? Contribute to the Community!