EMD Millipore

www.come2emd.com

EMD Millipore Reviews in Bedford, MA

Updated Apr 14, 2014

David Hutchinson

Pros
  • Lower level people are great to work with(in 9 reviews)

• Flexibility and work/life balance can be very good depending on what division and department you are in(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance - expect to work 60-80 hrs/wk(in 4 reviews)

• Senior management does not know the science/history of what they are trying to manage(in 3 reviews)

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience for summer internship

Process Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsGreat people and a great work environment. Offer a great internship program where you get to work on your own project and present your data at the end of the summer

ConsWith the aquisition things were a little crazy as far as reorganization of the company but after a while things settled down

Once great company foundering in culture clash

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsThe people are excellent - mostly smart funny & kind. Some parts of the company are doing good work that improves human life.

ConsIntegration into Merck culture was very difficult, with heavy processes and bureaucracy. The new organization has led to high level power struggles and infighting. High performance employees have been leaving the company for less poisonous, more action oriented environments.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmphasize results over processes. Hold managers to account for regrettable losses and look into why some departments are demoralized and bleeding talent.

Okay place if you're just interested in the day to day

Development Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsGood work/life balance. Good benefits, tuition reimbursement, 401k match, decent vacation and medical packages. Overall, I'd still recommend working here. The people are great and the environment is healthy. The company itself is well enough managed that job stability is not a major concern.

ConsThe day to day work gets less and less rewarding every year and since the acquisition the work in R&D has steadily decreased in its level of innovation and abstract thinking. The work is steadily becoming more and more monotonous and checklist driven and less and less about true engineering solutions. I view this as the type of place to come and work, if you're just waiting for retirement. If you just want to come in and do your job it's a great place! But, if you're looking for something more rewarding than the basic 7-4, collect a check, this isn't it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the reorgs. In the last 8 months we've had 3 the only clear message is "get used to it." People cannot focus on being innovative when they're constantly trying to relearn their role.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience!

Intern (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsVery flexible, and the culture of the company is great!

ConsThere are no Cons that I could think of

Good company to work for. Wide presence around the globe.

Applications Engineer II (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsDescent benefits. Good exposure to difference aspects of business. Job safety by an large assured since company is stable.

ConsMoving up can be difficult depending on which area you work in. Tightly controlled by management with centralized control.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee

Don't expect too much

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsThis is a global company which can mean great opportunities for access to a wide array of technologies and expertise. If you set your mind to it you can learn a lot but that's your responsibility.

ConsThings have certainly changed since the acquisition and folks still seem to be waiting for some sort settling which doesn't seem to come. A once nimble company is now slow to make decisions. The vision for the future is very murky and there is great lack of clarity as to what is down the road.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale has sunk due to lack of direction and lack of investment in the US. There is no lack of ideas or passion in the ranks. Just light a few matches and fan the flames.

Was a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsPeople, technology, pay and benefits

ConsToo much beauracracy since acquisiton

Advice to Senior Managementget back to basics. Let Millipore be Millipore.
     A high performance company hampered by the beauracracy of its parent company.

Enjoyable place to work

Project Coordinator (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsThe people are fun to work with and are pretty friendly most of the time. The food is good in the cafeteria with plenty of choices for healthy eaters.

ConsThe work gets monotonous sometimes but it depends on how well you manage things. You can make work fun if you make a game out of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great environment for research

Senior Research Scientist (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsDepending on your group you can spend a good bit of time doing research that interests you that may not have immediate impact on the company's bottom-line. Excellent resources world-wide with many experts available.

ConsBureaucracy begets bureaucracy. With Merck the process is most important, doing quality work while being frugal is less so. They let you spend the money you need to spend and more as long as you follow the steps. They are also getting a little short-sided in projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to projects that you don't expect to become a product immediately. Just because marketing thinks it should or shouldn't be done should not be the only deciding factor when funding a project. Sometimes it takes time to "find" the best approach and short-sided thinking doesn't help that process.

Great Place to Work

Development Engineer III (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsEasy going atmosphere, lots of different opportunities by working in different departments, decent salary, easy to work with managers.

ConsYou really have to be self driven to get anywhere and/or learn new things. Poor mentoring programs for young engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee appreciation and talent development.

Worked for EMD Millipore? Contribute to the Community!