EMI Music North America

Add Photos

Intern

Jersey City, NJ

I worked at EMI Music North America as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Managers were very professional and friendly.
-Supervisor was very informative and taught me plenty.
-They really worked hard to build office morale.

Cons-No room for new employees due to selling of company to UMG.

Volatile

Hollywood, CA

I worked at EMI Music North America full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlex hours, relaxed environment, good work/life balance, concert and sports ticket perks

ConsLike most music jobs, the salary is low for non-executives. You're either VP and up level & making a lot or you're making next to nothing and working off of pure passion. The work enviornment was volatile and the layoffs were endless. Very poor leadership and egos for days. Little room for growth and promotions are far and few between.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge and promote hard working individuals. Be digital focused.

Best company ever

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at EMI Music North America as an intern for less than a year

ProsThis company is the most amazing company. It is so laid back. It's fun yet highly productive. Music just surrounds you at this company (obviously). Great perks. Best company I've worked for.

ConsCant think of one any!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do what you are doing!

Keeping it melodic

Mechanical Licensing (Former Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

I worked at EMI Music North America full-time

ProsEMI was a wonderful company to work for before its business was split apart. They had a wonderful catalog of some of the most talented artists of our lifetime. Being a musician and huge fan of music, it was a real honor to be working for some of the big names like The Beatles, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Keith Urban and Lady Antebellum. The corporate, big label atmosphere was an exciting environment to be a part of.

ConsBecause of the industry wide decline in record sales and recorded music the company was bought and sold 3 or 4 different times during my time there. This was bad news for all employed. Over the course of my 9 plus years I think we saw small, cost of living pay increases. It was a humble salary when I started, and by the time I left a pretty meager wage to live off of. Money was hard to come by and if it wasn't for the decent benefits and great friends I met along the way, I would have jumped ship much earlier.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those passionate about music and who remain in the industry and work for you. We all realize that these are tough times for the music business and if an employee doesn't see a future and the chance to make a sustainable living, they will look elsewhere for a better career opportunities.

meaningful

Key Account Manager, Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at EMI Music North America as an intern for less than a year

ProsMeet lots of people form the music industry, Artists, celebrities. Work on a fast paced environment. Casual and laid back atmosphere

ConsExpensive city, took much staff, unorganized, long lunch breaks

Advice to Senior ManagementGive interns more resposability

Great company - few jobs

Digital Marketing Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at EMI Music North America as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat bosses, great tasks, and a great learning experience.

ConsEver since the Company merged with UMG, there aren't as many job opportunities available. Would love to work for the company - but the jobs just aren't there right now.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

If you want to work in the music business this is a good place to get a reality check

I worked at EMI Music North America

ProsInterns are given no work or responsibility

ConsFree CDs, somewhat flexible schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementGive interns some tasks to benefit their learning experience

used to be a great working place

I worked at EMI Music North America

Proscasual working environment
a lot party / concert that company offers

Consbecome more political since it was bought by universal music

Great Culture/Camaraderie but Terribly Mis-Managed

A&R (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at EMI Music North America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEveryone at EMI was like a family. I've rarely come across that type of camaraderie . For example, on Fridays several ppl would grab a drink for happy hour. It was an open invitation that you could take advantage of anytime. People often site the great work culture as a reason for why they return to work there.

The health plan under EMI was excellent. Lowest co-pay AND deductible I've ever had. Payroll deductions for PPO were very reasonable. They really do strive to take care of their employee's health. They also reimburse up to $150 for gym costs which is nice. Not sure what it's like now since I left during the transition to Universal.

ConsI worked there during Terra Firma's control, Citi, and the start of the Universal merger. There were 3 CEOs and 2 immediate bosses during my 3 years there. There was a whole month where I went to work and didn't even have a boss (except for the CEO technically). The whole floor was empty because they fired everyone in my dept and I was the only one left....yeah it felt a bit like a scene from Office Space. Even with a boss, the immediate goals changed every 3 months it felt like - from going on a signing spree to signing no acts. There was never a clear direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally listen to young ppl. I realize that the more experience an executive has, the more he feels like he KNOWS how the industry works....but it's changing so quickly in every aspect. It's astonishing how young ppl are the new experts but no one wants to really take advantage of that. I've often been surprised at how much more in tune my interns were than our own company.

Oh and if you guys can take a cut in your expenses to give raises (aside from the biannual cost of living raise) to ppl who deserve it, that'd be great. Cut out the summits in Ibiza for executives. Stay in more moderate hotels (e.g., Courtyard by Marriott) instead of luxury hotels like the W. You'd be surprised how much further the dollar can go.

A lesson in patience...

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at EMI Music North America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSupportive staff in your department, free music, casual work space.

ConsConstant changes in management, old boys network, lack of innovation, co-workers with low business skills and intelligence, lack of understanding of companies mission and vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake longer than 9 months to see if the current consultants plan is working. In addition think about how to best utilize and incentivise your work force - lying about promotions, paying less once people come off hourly, stop rewarding bad behavior and start rewarding results.

Worked for EMI Music North America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMI Music North America reviews and ratings. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by EMI Music North America employees.