EMP Museum

Christina Orr-Cahall

Best Place Ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

At EMP, I'm surrounded by people who share a love of the content of the museum, including Music, Sci-Fi, Horror, Fantasy, Comic-Books, Video Games, etc. etc. etc.

Cons

Not a Con, but a challenge: Like most non-profit Arts & Culture institutions. We've always got to figure out how to remain financially sustainable.

Never underestimate the power of staff that deeply cares about what we do.

Great job for students/unattached adults, difficult to make a living otherwise

Current Employee - Guest Services Representative  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

MUSIC! Every minute of every day, you are surrounded by music history -- from the earliest iterations of the electric guitar to Jimi's lyrics written on hotel stationery -- there is always something to be taught by the artifacts... and something to teach museum guests.

The job is fairly easy, but you cannot be afraid to approach guests and get them excited about music, whether it's jamming with them in Sound Lab, teaching them a bit about NW music history, or just plain going crazy in a mock band at OnStage... you have to shed your inhibitions and truly unleash your unbridled enthusiasm for music.

My six years at the museum afforded numerous opportunities to be in the presence of music royalty (Nick Mason, Dick Dale, Ruth Brown) and share my passion for music with visitors from all over the world. I forged many solid friendships with like-minded musicians, played in a couple bands comprised of EMP staff, and generally enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Every year, there was always talk of hourly staff reductions and layoffs, which put a damper on the overall morale at the museum. GSRs - Guest Service Reps - and Security are the "faces" of the museum. In other words, they are the first people museum guests see when they enter the building, and they are expected to be cheerful in order to ensure an amazing experience for guests. When a staff member is unsure whether or not he/she will have a job the next day, that makes him/her unfocused and wary, and this reflects in his/her attitude towards museum guests and potential members.

Reviews are quarterly, but raises are not, and that is very frustrating. In my six years at the museum, I had two raises. The first one was a dollar an hour, about 1.5 years after I started, and this is when I finally got benefits (insurance, 401(k), etc) The second one was about two years later, and for $0.61/hour. Meanwhile, many members of the executive team pulled in six figure salaries per year, according to NPO disclosures on GuideStar.org and the CEO pulled in $330k. For comparison, the CEO of the Seattle Art Museum earned $320k and the CEO of the Museum of Flight earned $220k in the same time period (per CharityNavigator.org), so there was certainly an "ivory tower" syndrome that pervaded senior management and caused rifts between the executive team and floor staff.

On the topic of the executive team, I saw four CEOs in four years, each one with a different vision of the museum and a different set of priorities. One CEO cut core museum staff 37% on his first day. Another CEO whittled the membership department - critical to a self-sustaining NPO - to three people, down from 10. So, all of a sudden, 3 people had to do the work of 10, which turned out to be a very poor decision and the ripple effects led to museum-wide inefficiencies.

Senior Executives: Ask museum staff what YOU could do to put a little more pep in their step. Not saying that you should work an 18-hour shift on New Years Eve followed by a 10-hour shift New Years Day (with 5 hours sleep in between), but step away from your desk and onto the museum floor. Get involved and learn how the museum really works from the bottom-up. Don't implement inane policies at the drop of a hat. Last, see the museum for what it really is - a cultural gem of Seattle - and stop running it like a corporation.

Working on the administrative side of EMP

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The colleagues are terrific. They have a lot of social events and the people are also artistic. The work is hardly eveer boring as there are lots of different things to work on at different times.

Cons

Hard to move forward as higher ups including the CEO seems to change every other year. Management is either off hands but somewhat clueless or micromanagy anf overbearing.

Trust the people you hire to do the job they are hired to do. Hire the best people for the job and pay them accordingly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Visitor Services - Fun job with little personal benefit

Former Employee - Visitor Services Representative  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

I was a Visitor Services Representative for a little over a year. My love for the arts brought me to this job, and it is was lovely being surrounded by music in a museum setting. The management were actually very nice and amiable. They were flexible with my personal schedule and needs. They seemed to genuinely care about their employees. It was ultimately a fun job and my co-workers were mostly pretty awesome - like-minded creative types. It wasn't the managers I had a problem with, it was the whole system and policies in which they operated.

Cons

I ultimately wouldn't recommend this job if you are looking for an opportunity for advancement. When I applied for the job, I had hopes that I could move upwards in the company given my skills and background, but that certainly didn't happen to me, and it certainly didn't happen with my co-workers. Most of my co-workers had similar aspirations, but eventually gave up and either quit or stayed on until they found something better elsewhere.

Ultimately, this is a job that is based on a model of expected high turn-over. Workers are hired yearly for a mostly short span, and they inevitable drop pout because of the low pay and lack of any benefits. Very few Visitor Services Representatives had any kind of health benefits, hours were generally unstable and you were often expected to work double-shifts and then come in the next day to work some more.

This job is ideal for young people, in college or still under their parents roof.

At least pay the VSRs more, if you're aren't going to give them health benefits, especially in accordance with Washington State's minimum wage, and King County's general cost of living.

Great place, not lots of opportunity

Pros

EMP hires lots of fun, creative and hard working people. Benefits are great and time off is flexible. Management styles vary.

Cons

Management doesn't guide all departments to guide employees to work in a coordinated fashion with a shared vision for the company.

Put more effort into making all department work in a streamlined fashion. To accomplish this, take drastic steps to improve internal communication.

Dreadful place to work

Pros

museum technicians and visitor services. some interesting technology but most of that comes from the partners who they contract to make the technology.

Cons

arrogant, annoying IT staff. CTO who doesn't listen or care. Producer with no backbone. everyone considers the place a joke. constant demoralizing chatter from most teams. no job security. changes in management constantly. lay offs constantly.

Bring in better management rather than let the CTO silently take over the whole organization. Get rid of arrogant, know-it-all, yes man IT guys who are in the CTO's pocket.

Worked for EMP Museum? Contribute to the Community!