EMQ FamiliesFirst Reviews

Updated July 14, 2014
Updated July 14, 2014

2.2

Darrell Evora

A very positive experience overall

Former Employee - Counselor II  in  Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Counselor II in Davis, CA

I worked at EMQ FamiliesFirst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed working with the children and the staff, most of which are very dedicated to the childrens' needs. It can be an emotional job filled with anger, sadness and joy. But what matters is that once there, it is upto you how you make an impact to the children.

In order to work effectively here, you must leave all personal business out of your work life, because the children will know that there is something wrong.

Cons

You will need handle people yelling, swearing, and being aggressive towards you. Many times it will not be your fault, but the fact that you are in the vicinity of an upset child makes you a target. It was not an issue for me, but I often times noticed other staff who needed to take a couple minutes to themselves because their interest in this job was not to work with the children, but instead to make "easy" money.

Most of the issues you will face are staff related. Arguments over which treatment is better for the children and what limitations or rewards the children should have.

Non-Profit trying to be a for profit company.

Current Employee - Family Specialist  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Family Specialist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at EMQ FamiliesFirst full-time

Pros

Great benefits, co-workers are really knowledgable and really care about the children and families. Generous vacation and sick Days. Spacious offices, plenty of room to do work.

Cons

No real room for advancement. Low salaries. Unrealistic expectations regarding billable hours. Upper management is more worried about profit and meeting expectations instead of focusing on quality of work. I used to have a real passion for my job, now I'm just trying to meet my expected quota.

Treat your current employees like they matter. Management says they want to retain employees yet they pay new hires more. How is that fair? Put competent people in managerial roles. How about raises based on performance?? And .33 cents is not enough of a raise.

Difficult work enviornment

I have been working at EMQ FamiliesFirst

Pros

Wraparound is a great Mental Health Program.

Cons

Terrible work environment, discriminatory managing practices. Clinical Director is a dictator, unrealistic expectations and know longer is it family driven but money driven. Lazy managers who work at findings mistakes rather than supporting staff. Incompetent managers and supervisors who can't do the job that they're managing effectively. They put staff against one another, it's a Willie Lynch system wereas they give expectations that cause everyone to be against each nobody trusts their fellow team member yet we all have to work together. Slot of work for minimal pay.

Learn to be selfless and less about making yourself look good. Learn to manage in a way in which you would like to be managed and try doing the job before setting an expectation that nobody can meet. Also the SB campus should fire the Director and Clinical Director as they are dictators who have zero people skills and lack a level of empathy needed to work in a social service setting.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Fulfilling!

Former Employee - Facilitator  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Facilitator in Fresno, CA

I worked at EMQ FamiliesFirst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Team atmosphere, attention to needs of families they work with, awesome co-workers!

Cons

Agency is top-heavy - Management is paid well, while employees are paid very low; unrealistic productivity demands take away from doing the best work with families.

Focus on valuing employees and trusting them to make decisions and you will have the key to better productivity!

Horrible place to work

I have been working at EMQ FamiliesFirst

Pros

I would not recommend this place to anyone. Poor management. This company does not care about anyone.

Cons

Horrible place to work. The Executive management does not care about families or children. They do not uphold their whatever it takes motto.

If you really care about children and families you would not do the things you are doing to hurt the families you say you are helping. Stop thinking about yourself and really help the families.

Group Homes is a stressful and rewarding place to work.

Former Employee - Counselor II  in  Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Counselor II in Davis, CA

I worked at EMQ FamiliesFirst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with children (few moments you will cherish the most) Unfortunately, this is the only pro I could think about.

Cons

Hours - You work 9 hours long (non-stop, I would not get to eat until a co-worker either reminded me or got home) but most likely work 10-14 hours for 4 days. (Please note: weekends are the longest shift)
    Staff - Attempts were made to reduce the cost of staff (temps or on-calls were let go on Dec 2012). Because of the shortage, your shift becomes longer not by choice.
    Holidays/Vacation - They are paid but you will have a hard time getting it off.
    Training/meeting - A week long training once hired, expect nothing after. However, temporary meetings became mandatory, because the group home got out of control. (low staff).
    Communication - Upper-management (not supervisors) wont listen to your concerns about the kids. Training is ridiculous, you discuss more about your feelings than the issue (kids being unsafe).
    The facility is a 24/7 constant supervised group home. If you are an Awake-Night staff - you have the worst job. Imagine everything I said and double it. This job should be a temporary not a long term job, 4 years should be your limit.

Please hire more staff. When the same topic continues to be discuss do something!!! If you are attempting to save the company some money. Please don't, you end up laying off 60+ people.

Families First Employee's Last

I have been working at EMQ FamiliesFirst

Pros

Good Benefits compared to other places

Cons

Hostile work environment. No love or respect for employees. The best people have quit or been laid off. The wrong people in the wrong positions. Culture competence is missing. Only smokescreens remain. The ship is sinking

Bring back Jerry Doyle and the heart that he had for staff and familes before you guys ran him out.

Very low pay, back stabbing, micro-managing, long hours and train wreck always in progress.

Former Employee - Family Specialist  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Family Specialist in Fresno, CA

I worked at EMQ FamiliesFirst full-time for less than a year

Pros

None, you work hard and are not ever appreciated.

Cons

Everyone talks about everyone behind their backs. There is constant micro-managing and paranoia about what you are working on. High stress and long late hours because you are to work on their chosen hours and on Saturdays. No two months of schedule is the same.

They need to re vamp the supervisors, too much micro managing and good employees get tired of being yanked around to extra hours, job duties and there is No accountability for them.

Manager

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at EMQ FamiliesFirst full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The staff in the programs are hard working dedicated people with excellent skill at providing quality care to families.

Cons

Since the merger of EMQ and FamiliesFirst several years ago, the morale continues to decline. The overhead cost for programs is now 100% of program staff salaries. Programs have been cut. Salaries have been frozen. The higher costs are easy to see in executive staff. There are way too many management personnel near the top who cost a lot and produce nothing billable.

A major restructuring would have to come from the president down. He'll have to cut positions that are now held by his friends. They won't do it themselves. They want their jobs. Cut a 1/3 of the management at the director level and above. You don't need that many directors. Make trainings truly available to all staff not just those who work at the headquarters who need it least.

Doing good work can be stressful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at EMQ FamiliesFirst full-time

Pros

Amazing employees who are dedicated to their jobs and truly care about clients and their families. Benefits are good compared to industry, vacation/sick is generous and work hours are reasonable.

Cons

This work can be high stress, and is made worse by strict productivity standards based on govt contracts. Pay is low and has been frozen for several years. Benefits are being cut, and there is uncertainly about future revenue.

Stop promoting people who are good at their job and start promoting people who have good management skills.

Worked for EMQ FamiliesFirst? Contribute to the Community!