EMSL Analytical

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
1.8

Peter Frasca

Pros
  • come and go without regard to how much work is in house (in 5 reviews)

• vacation time accrues quickly after the first year (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Almost everyone in upper-management is either married or related to someone else in (in 13 reviews)

• All your hard work means nothing unless you are hand picked to succeed (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

VP in-law told me "Anyone can be replaced"

Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Cinnaminson, NJ
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Cinnaminson, NJ

I worked at EMSL Analytical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good location, there are some decent people working here, I learned a lot

Cons

Hard to understand how this company stays in business, other than the owner's deep pockets. He owns lots of commercial real estate in addition to EMSL. Large amounts of available cash seem to offset the dubious management, marketing, HR, and accounting policies that would have sunk another company long ago. EMSL is held together by a relative handful of competent individuals, but you won't find any competence in upper management, HR, or accounting. These people excel at blame shifting and throwing employees under the bus. Nepotism, cronyism and mediocrity thrive there. You won't succeed on merit, by being sharp, or working hard. You'll only make it if if you are family, a friend, or they happen to like you, which seems as random as a coin toss. If they don't immediately like you on day one they never will.

Count your blessings and make sure the owner stays healthy and involved. Without him, most of you will be unemployable.

meh

I have been working at EMSL Analytical

Pros

okay hours, potential to move up, coworkers are awesome

Cons

no job security, hours can be cut at any time

This position seemed really cool, I just wish they paid more.

I have been working at EMSL Analytical

Pros

It was an opportunity to utilize my education.

Cons

They weren't willing to pay enough.

Just got out in the nick of time!

Former Employee - Lab Analyst
    Former Employee - Lab Analyst

I worked at EMSL Analytical full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Relativity easy commute.
    Fairly flexible scheduling.
    Exercise room available to employees.
    It was an interesting job, but then I wasn't there very long.

Cons

When I was hired, they said I would be trained for the position (working in the asbestos lab). While I did receive 12 days of training, it was substandard.
    All the new hires for the Cinnaminson location were seated the farthest from the instructor in the back of the room during the off-site training. All the people from the branch labs were seated in the front of the room. The instructor said they needed the more of his attention during off-site training because he wouldn't see them after the two weeks of training were up. He said we (the Cinnaminson corporate hires) would receive more of his attention after we got back to corporate. All through the class the folks from the branches received more attention than myself and the other folks hired for Cinnaminson.
    The instructor spoke very softly and mumbled during class. So being able to hear what the he was saying was hit-or-miss. Even when the instructor was asked to speak up, he didn't.
    Toward the end of the training, I asked the instructor how I was doing as far as picking up on the material. He said I was doing fine and that I and the other Cinnaminson folks would get more attention (and training) once we ended the off-site training and got back to corporate (Cinnaminson).
     That didn't happened for me until the Monday before the Friday they let me go. On that Monday I was told that I incorrectly identified too many samples in two of the recent sets of 10 I had done from my 50 unknown samples (the next step after the classroom training). I passed the first three sets of 10 I completed.
    This was the first input I had gotten on my progress in the three weeks since off-site training finished. The supervisor/instructor then assigned an experienced analyst to work with me and to answer any questions I might have. This was something I had been looking for since I ended the off-site training.
    Four days later I was gone. The reason I was given was that I wasn't progressing fast enough in my training and they needed to make a reduction in force because business in the Asbestos Lab was down (not likely).
    I hope my little tale of woe lends some credibility to the other reviews of EMSL on this site. I was only there about six weeks, but I saw or directly experienced some of the negatives discussed in other reviews.

Don't make someone a supervisor or manager just because they're good at their job. Supervisory skills matter just as much as technical skills.
    Be ashamed - be very ashamed - that you pay people with a 4-year science degree the same as fast food workers are paid! Have some respect for the people you hire.

Mixed

I have been working at EMSL Analytical

Pros

Great co-workers, opportunities to learn and interact with interesting people and situations, providing information that ultimately helps people.

Cons

Terrible benefits, very small or no raises, constant complaints that workers are not living up to expectations in spite of their efforts. Upper management has adversarial attitude. No clear vision or goals other than to beat competitors in ways that change constantly.

Respect your employees and treat them as the educated professionals they are.

It's a job.

I have been working at EMSL Analytical

Pros

It's a job. Pay sucks but it is better than nothing. Ok vacation pay but good luck fighting over them especially around Christmas time. Lab managers seem to care but their hands are tied.

Cons

Terrible benefits. If they can legally get out of paying you for anything they will. On call a lot of the time and only get paid(not much) if you actually come in (you can't leave town or make plans basically). Poorly managed by corporate. Don't expect a raise unless it's in your contact. The 2% cost of living annual raise is what you have to look forward to.

BEWARE!

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in New York, NY

I worked at EMSL Analytical

Pros

Working in the City and some (a very limited few) coworkers.

Cons

Completely unprofessional office culture. Nepotism and favoritism are rampant, as is sexual harassment. The people (including some managers) are some of the most immature, uneducated, petty, and pathetic people you will ever meet. This is not a safe or healthy environment to work in. The lab is out of date and the air in this place feels unsafe. If you value your health, sanity and self-esteem, do not work here. The pay is terrible, the benefits are unaffordable, the chances for promotions are slim and the management is incompetent.

Get new management, be less dramatic, pay your college educated employees more than you do the GED recipients.

horrendous company

Former Employee - Chemistry in Cinnaminson, NJ
    Former Employee - Chemistry in Cinnaminson, NJ

I worked at EMSL Analytical

Pros

flexibility and thats about it

Cons

pay wage, no structure, no way to move up, inefficient and outdated equipment and SOP's. Horrendous upper management

pay properly. have a structure and path for each employee. have real yearly reviews not just in name only, take care of employees better. Healthcare and 401k are horrendous. There are no bonuses. 25$ at xmas giftcard. very cheap. stop making people work day after thanks giving and xmas.

Ummm Yeah

I worked at EMSL Analytical

Pros

Good co-workers, you get paid, flexibility

Cons

I guess what a did was science, but it definitely didn't get my brain going. You could do the job even if your name was Bernie (Weekend at Bernie's... look it up). If I had 10 thumbs they would all go down for mgmt.

Sit back and really think about why the turnaround rate for employees is high

I worked here for an internship over the summer.

Current Employee - Data Entry- Login in Cinnaminson, NJ
    Current Employee - Data Entry- Login in Cinnaminson, NJ

I have been working at EMSL Analytical as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The internship started off well as there was a lot of work to do which allowed me to learn a lot of new things very quickly.

Cons

As the summer went on work started getting slower and we were more or less assigned to boring monotonous tasks that did not require any skill or problem solving at all.

The internship program needs a lot more developing. I think that this company could offer a lot more of an experience to it's interns.