EMSL Analytical

Updated July 15, 2014
Updated July 15, 2014

1.4

Peter Frasca

Pros
  • vacation time accrues quickly after the first year (in 8 reviews)

• come and go without regard to how much work is in house (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Almost everyone in upper-management is either married or related to someone else in (in 13 reviews)

• You will never be compensated fairly for the hard work and time you dedicate to this company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible experience

Former Employee - Lab Tech  in  Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in Piscataway, NJ

Pros

The only pro is the unlimited over time

Cons

Cons- Most have been covered by previous reviews; i think an overall lack of professionalism is big too

Hire better lab managers and get rid of the ridiculous deadlines

Horrible overall experience

Former Employee - Asbestos Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Asbestos Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They allowed me to shift my work hours to 10-6 to avoid traffic.
    I had my own work station.

Cons

Everything the other negative reviews say is true.
    The pseudoscience practiced by EMSL is shady. QC is falsified by established workers and all other employees run the risk of unexplained "lay offs" or forced transfers. Errors are not recorded and management works really hard to appear busy.
    My manager took 3-4 long lunch breaks a day and spend most of the day kissing up to corporate.
    Cross training is difficult to get approved. The company likes to keep employees disposable and training time is minimal. Upper management is disgusting and completely unethical.
    This was my WORST job experience EVER!
    Do not work here and do not trust any sample results submitted to this company.

Invest in your analysts. Caring for your employees will pay off.

Started out pleasant until they put two married people in charge of the lab.

Current Employee - Lab Analyst
    Current Employee - Lab Analyst

Pros

I feel like my pay is an ok wage.

Cons

Having a lab run by two married people.

Do not hire married people to run the lab, they bicker between themselves and make others feel uncomfortable--or one tells you to do one thing and the other tells you to do the exact opposite.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

EMSL: An Analytical Lab for Pseduoscience

Current Employee - Lab Analyst  in  Cinnaminson, NJ
    Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Cinnaminson, NJ

Pros

-Friendly co-workers
    -Laidback environment
    -Good hours
    -There's a 20 word minimum for pros. I can't think of anything else.

Cons

Although I enjoy my co-workers in my lab department, the overall experience has been unsatisfactory. This company needs to learn to value its employees. It is extremely alarming how people are terminated without a moment's notice (even good employees). Almost everyone in upper-management is either married or related to someone else in upper-management which is unsettling as well. I think this is one of reasons why the company suffers because most people in management are unqualified yet they hold positions there due to marital or relationship status . Do not expect a substantial raise at this company or an opportunity to advance. The owner recently expressed a need to cross-train between different labs within the company and when I expressed interest in an area I had experience in, I never heard back from management.

Show that you value your employees by paying them reasonable wages. Get people in management positions that are qualified to run a lab. Being married or related to someone in upper-management does not count towards being qualified.

Had such high hopes only to be let down

Former Employee - Asbestos Lab Technician  in  Cinnaminson, NJ
    Former Employee - Asbestos Lab Technician in Cinnaminson, NJ

Pros

Flexible with hours
    Lots of overtime in asbestos only but no bonus for bulk room
    Vending machines idk I have to fill in the rest of this with meaningless words

Cons

I came into emsl out of college and looking for a place to get my feet wet. I began working at emsl in asbestos with really high hopes. My management seemed OK and the process seemed to work well so I was very happy. After about a week I realized that the whole process was held together by a few very hard working people and others could care less about what needed to be done or what they needed to do. People constantly complain about the company and I just shrugged it off thinking maybe they just had a grudge on the company. Soon I would find out why they were complaining. My first issue is that night shift gets no differential. Not a single penny for working till midnight or latest 3am. They don't care they just want the work done. Higher ranking people get a 50 dollar bonus to stay extra on their shift of there is alot of work but not for the bulk room. Second issue is that I had to contact my manager to get feed back since I work opposite shifts. I would have to email him and ask for status updates and what I needed to do to make myself better and his reply was always "uh your okay so just do whatever your doing". My third issue is that it doesn't matter how hard you work you have to be liked. I don't mean liked in the sense of being friends with the managers, cause trust me you'll still get overlooked, I mean they have to for some strange reason think that you are perfect and you will get everything. Seniority means nothing here. Oh you've worked night shift for years with no issues... Sorry this new person who barely knows what they are doing is getting promoted for some reason we can't think of right now. My final con is that management thinks you are dumb and lies directly to your face. The manager directly bold face lied to me and seemed to have no problem with it. I mean not like a little white lie that you brush off. I mean telling me the sky was orange would have been less of a lie. Until the management gets their act together use this place as much as they use you. Get your foot in the door and get out before you get stuck. Do not settle for this place get your few months and move on.

There is no reason to bother with this section because you won't listen anyway. They hired someone for new ideas to expand the business and when he gave his ideas they said they didn't like them dispite his record of vastly expanding previous companies.

This place should be acquired by a real company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cinnaminson, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cinnaminson, NJ

Pros

This place constitutes a very good model to study nepotism should anybody need one. Since they always want more money, maybe they should market themselves as such and get benefits for the Frascas and their very extended facility.

Cons

No respect for employees. Low pay. Poor benefits. They employ any family member that needs a job irrespective of their qualification or knowledge (and they excel at not having much of either for whatever reason). The work can be hazardous at times, poor hoods, exposure to chemicals, construction dust. Working here makes you lose the self-respect, they make you feel worthless. They treat female employees inferior to males in the same position, unless, again, you are somehow related to the family. Somebody in the company had a good idea to make a suggestions box that would help improve the place. The management squashed the initiative very quickly, they did not like the feedback.

Wake up. Stop thinking this is a good place to work at, it is not. If you respect your employees, they will respect you as well and contribute at growing your business. People work for professional satisfaction as well, not only for money. It used to be better, much better. I even wrote a positive review some time back. LOL.

A terrible company to work for!

Former Employee - Lab Prep Technician
    Former Employee - Lab Prep Technician

Pros

My local manager was good and my coworkers were okay.

Cons

Unsafe working conditions - this company clearly cuts corners wherever they can, proper lab safety equipment not exempt. There was no regular cleaning or maintenance crew contracted out, and I always felt that the air quality in the building was not good. EVERYTHING IS DIRTY. Everything is old and broken. Corporate is clearly unwilling to invest any money back into their branch labs or their branch lab employees. Starting pay is pathetically low... $10/hour for lab prep technicians (aka, lab scrub who spends hours everyday washing dishes and doing all the dirty work). You don't need a college degree for this job! And the workload you'll be expected to carry is ridiculous sometimes. Labs are obviously understaffed. Hours were decently flexible, until busy season. We were told we were strictly not allowed time off during July and August. My coworkers told me to expect "to work 12 hour days, and to have to come in on Saturdays too" during the summer. Insane. No thanks. Not for what you're paying me! It was also apparent that corporate was uninterested in getting employees of branch labs trained into higher positions. My manager made several attempts to talk about training me with her superiors and was basically completely ignored. They didn't even answer her emails. What kind of company functions that way? Upward mobility is a joke at EMSL. Raises are pathetic. You will never be compensated fairly for the hard work and time you dedicate to this company. Benefits are also sad, the insurance is expensive but bad. Yearly bonus? A $25 visa gift card.

This company is not a good place to work. It didn't take long for me to start to notice the red flags, so I got out as soon as I could.

Invest money back into your branch labs and branch lab employees.

Don't hire people with 4-year degrees for a job that you can train high school graduates to do.

Increase your pay rates, you will never be able to hold on to good employees if you're not paying them enough to live.

Better the working conditions of your labs. No one wants to work in dirty, unsafe conditions and with old, broken equipment. An asbestos/lead/mold lab should have a contracted cleaning crew that comes weekly!

Glass ceiling from the beginning

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Miami, FL

Pros

In the beginning I had flexibility, but that changed with a so called promotion. Every lab is run differently and the managers have no rights only corporate holds the power.

Cons

Keeps the industry pay low, wants college grads to work for peanuts. Makes people feel like slaves, wants high numbers but then makes you do Stupid things that impose on the time you had to analyze.

Treat your workers like family, maybe they'll care a bit more about making good you all the money

Do not get yourself hired

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cinnaminson, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cinnaminson, NJ

Pros

flexibility when it comes to hours. that is it

Cons

horrible low pay. low ceiling. no rewards for hard work. no bonus, bad 401k, bad health insurance. The ability to make money at emsl is non-existent. dangerous working conditions, youre there to make the higher up money. you can work hard and get no raise, and you can be lazy and get no raise or be in the family and get a raise and unlimited vacation days.

maybe pay people more money and they would care more and make the company more money. its a family business,...so instead of treating just your"inner circle family", take care of the people that work there as you would a family

Do not apply or take any jobs here!

Pros

The people you meet all want to leave. The only fun part was bad mouthing EMSL on EMSL property to get your day to move faster.

Cons

Extremely cheap and does not care about their employees. Management does not know how to properly run an establishment. About 90% of employees are extremely dissatisfied and are currently searching around for other opportunities. Do not expect a bonus here! All you get is $25 gift card on Xmas, which was only good to fill up only half my gas tank. Amazing right? Only take this job if you are extremely desperate. If you're not extremely desperate, move along and look elsewhere.

Minimum wage is slowly creeping up on emsl standards. I suggest you follow suit to keep some sort of retention.

Worked for EMSL Analytical? Contribute to the Community!