EMSS

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Garret Erskine

If your dream is to be a PA or doctor one day, working as an emergency medical scribe is an invaluable experience.

Emergency Medical Scribe (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at EMSS part-time for more than a year

ProsThe best PRE-MED experience ever, lots of opportunities to build relationships with PA's and doctors, fabulous coworkers.

ConsLow hourly wage when compared to other scribe companies, lots of sick calls and emergent shift coverages all the time so you have to learn how to say no.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is extremely important that scribes have functional computers and carts or else it is very difficulty for us to be incredible at our job.

For the experience

I have been working at EMSS

ProsGreat inside look at patient care in the ED (and now outpatient clinics and urgent care). You get to observe procedures, the medical decision making process, and work with many, many different physicians, nurses, NPs, PAs, PCTs, medics, etc. Therefore, there is variety in your shifts, which adds good experience for observing different physicians' styles.

It's an opportunity to learn for yourself if this is the right field for you.

ConsThe pay is laughable. Yes, there's not much required in terms of qualifications, but all of us are pre-med students (one who is also a single mother) scrabbling at the chance for hospital experience on top of being a full time student trying to earn medical school quality GPAs, extracurriculars, volunteer work, second job (these people are crazy), and personal time - all while trying to pay bills.

We're expected to work at least two shifts a week, with one shift being available for overnight and another a weekend shift (or weekend overnight, and for some reason Sunday doesn't count as weekend). Having irregular overnight shifts really messes with your natural sleep rhythm. It depends on the hospital and the physician's group, but the hours are generally long with minimal breaks (there's not really "break time" in an emergency room). I've worked 9, 10, and 12 hour shifts. The physicians are there suffering with you, but the difference is that they're earning the salary of an ER physician/NP/PA (rightfully, of course), and scribes are expendable, easily replaceable.

At each shift, you're pretty much at the mercy of your physician for that day or night. Therefore, there is variety in your shifts, which adds good experience for observing different physicians' styles. There are super nice, thoughtful physicians, and there are those who won't let you use the restroom because they might need your help with the computer/EMR in the next 30 seconds. Not exactly a fault on the company itself, but I've seen physicians bully or act disrespectfully towards scribes, and no action was taken on the scribes' behalf even after it was reported.

There isn't any feedback on charts or performance from supervisors, even when explicitly requested. If there's something you've been consistently doing wrong, you'll find out soon enough, when a provider finally snaps at you during a stressful day or when the lead scribe sits you down to talk about "disciplinary action."

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your scribes. They're assets, not disposable goods. There is low morale among scribes because we feel undervalued, underpaid, and overworked, which leads to sub-par performance.

The hospitals and physicians' groups are not the only ones you're doing business with.

Correspondence from upper management and HR could be more professional and timely. Also, spellcheck should be used. It's a bit ironic when there are emails riddled with grammatical mistakes and misspelled words from a company that provides documentation services.

Medical Scribe

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EMSS part-time for less than a year

ProsYou learn a lot about what it is like to work in an ER. Great pre-health career experience. Exciting and can easily work around your schedule

ConsPay is pretty low, and the trying to communicate with headquarters is a little bit of a challenge. Your experience will be completely different depending on what hospital you work and and who the doctors are that you work with. Long hours: 10.5 hour days

It was a good experience, however my trianings were not scheduled close enough, and management was not so great.

I have been working at EMSS part-time

ProsGreat Experience and could get references from the doctors or PA's

ConsBedside Training shifts were set up too far apart, so I forgot most of the information we learned in training. On one of my trainings, my trainer left me alone a lot and chatted with other scribes during the shift. I didn't feel comfortable at all. Management was also terrible at the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on bedside training to be scheduled closer together. I feel about six two eight bedside trainings should be done in order to feel completely comfortable by myself.

Good experience to work and learn, don't trust management

ER Scribe (Former Employee)

I worked at EMSS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent professional relationship building and networking experience. Great opportunity to learn many or even ALL the aspects of Emergency Medicine.

ConsClient Service Managers are DEFINITELY NOT well trained nor supportive of Chief Scribes. They have preference over the "client" (or doctor) than over their own group of Scribes.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees and actually demonstrate that you value them with good actions

Great clinical experience.

ER Scribe (Former Employee)
Glen Burnie, MD

I worked at EMSS part-time for more than a year

ProsThey provide great training the the scheduling is very flexible (great for students trying to get clinical experience for PA or MED schools). The minimum shift commitment is two days a week (at least the one I worked at). You also get to see some really cool stuff that your probably not qualified to see otherwise.

ConsPay is a little low, but expected since qualifications are so minimal. If you get stuck working overnight shifts, this can be a drag. I didn't have two eight hour blocks to fit in working during the day, so I worked overnights. There is little room for advancement, but most people are just looking for the experience.

Good job initially, but don't expect to be "a valued employee"

I have been working at EMSS as a contractor

ProsExposure to medical field, terminology and interaction with MD's. Flexible schedule though nights and weekends are necessary

ConsLack of corporate backing, no real employee appreciation

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk your employees what they need to do their job successfully...and truly listen

Rough start in phoenix

Emergency Department Scribe (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at EMSS part-time for less than a year

ProsI'll admit, this job has taught me a lot about the process of seeing and diagnosing patients in the ED. It gives you insight on what is going on in the doctors head as he rules out certain diagnoses with the results of one test, and why they might order further testing. I think this experience is valuable to anyone who is looking to go into the medical field. Some of the doctors are genuienly glad you are there and even are willing to teach you new things.

ConsTraining was a nightmare. I was working another job and taking summer school courses at the time and they gave us a 1week advance on training dates an times which was a little frustrating. A lot of the training as self taught and off the clock which I thought was a little unfair. Classroom sizes were over 200 people the first two days of training which spanned over 20 hours. This left little room for one on one help for those who were struggling, or even making sure that Everyone was on the same page

The hospital we were training to work for was still implementing paper charts and hadnt switched over to the EMR yet so the first 4 shifts were awkward because the doctors did not need us nor really want us around.

It's been two months since the program began and management is still running with their heads cut off and very unorganized. They are supposed to publish schedules 1-2 months in advance yet I am still getting scheduled (against my availability I might add) a week a head of time. Managment doesn't give two hoots that 95% of us are full time students and they schedule us back to back shifts on school days.

Ive suggested in the past possibly working split shifts between people to lighten the burden of dedicating 10 hours a day for a shift which can be hard for students who have classes M-F but they didn't seem to want to consider it. Funny enough, they are the first to suggest this idea when it comes to covering their own behinds, like scheduling people 2 shifts in the same day with less than 8 hours unbeaten.

Doctors are frustrated because there has been a lack of morale and enthusiasm within the scribes which is likely due to the burn out of working 20 hrs and maintaining medical school worthy GPAs and the doctors still don't trust us to do what we are capable of. I've been tought the methods of coding/biking to get the phaycisns the most money back from seeing patients but they don't like to change their ways which are actually lacking proper aspects to get back the full amount. This in turn gets put on us scribes who are supposed to transcribe everything for proper billing but often times when we prompt the docs on including certain information they say " oh I don't do it that way, delete that. And that. Oh and don't ask the patients anything before or after I left." that last part is something I typically understand because there are some legalities involved if we don't inform the doctor of answers to particular questions but mainly we do this to make a more complete chart than anything. I guess the Emss company cant Change this other than informing the doctors better of our abilities and what we are trained to do.

Lastly the company I feel is so disconnected with the scribes, after training and certification I feel there has not been any follow up about our questions and concerns or ideas we have to make this operation smoother for not only us but for the doctors as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconfigure classroom training

Don't abuse your staff with underpaid overworked schedules

Have the ability for employees to be in contact with someone in person to discuss ideas or concerns rather than having them based in a office in California

Work with the doctor group to see what they want the scribes capable of doing or what could be improved and give us direct feedback.

not paid enough for what we do

Emergency Department Scribe (Current Employee)
Neptune, NJ

I have been working at EMSS

Prosgood experience in the medical field
great for a college student as a part time job

Consawful pay and no benefits

I miss the job.

Emergency Department Scribe (Former Employee)
Modesto, CA

I worked at EMSS

ProsThis job is a great learning opportunity for any person considering a career in a medical or health-related field. As an added bonus, this job is a great deal of fun. Over time, you make friends with the physicians and nurses, and as you learn the job better and improve your skills, they assign you more complex tasks or those that require a higher level of responsibility and trust.

ConsThe job can be stressful at times.
The job can be intimidating.
This is not a good job if you do not like blood, people, stress, following directions, thinking, performing tasks quickly and accurately, hospitals, or doctors.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak up shifts.

Worked for EMSS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMSS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EMSS CEO Garret Erskine. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by EMSS employees.