EN Engineering

www.enengineering.com

EN Engineering Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
EN Engineering – Warrenville – “Corporate Headquarters”

Thomas C. Ziegenfuss

Overall, Good Place to Work

Pros- Decent pay, good benefits
    - Flexible hours, plenty of PTO
    - Paid overtime
    - Relaxed work environment
    - Small company feel

Cons- Tedious work at times
    - Mandatory travel at times
    - Very little training
    - Little guidance at times, depending on you PM

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is too much work and responsibility piled onto the PM's. All of their time is devoted to phone calls with the clients and preparing estimates, leaving little time to guiding their team.

poorly operated

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits adequate comparably to other companies.

Consto much politics in some groups.

Advice to Senior Managementcorrect some departments and BUL, PMs to improve stability of company operation to be successful for years to come or sell company.

Excellent work environment and co-workers.

Senior GIS Technician (Current Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsExcellent benefits and PTO. Great work environment.

ConsSalaries are low for non-engineers. Not many layers for career growth. Sometimes there aren't enough software licenses to get your work done.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Open staff, supportive management, appreciative of hard work.

Drafter (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThey recognize hard work and intelligence. People are not promoted solely based on seniority, but abilities, work ethic, and potential.

ConsBe ready to work hard and meet deadlines. Grumbling won't get you a promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job, keep up communication with all employees.

Long term opportunity with a well rounded company that has lots of work to keep the employee busy and active.

Drafter (Current Employee) Glen Burnie, MD

ProsThe senior management is very understanding and flexible with the employees. There are plenty of team building events and the retention is fairly good, I would say 90%.

ConsThere are no major cons at this time. Perhaps a better average pay because the cost of living for the area is difficult with the pay.

EN puts the EN in the ENd of your career!

Designer (Former Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsNice views from the corner offices and lots of pizza parties for the young single professionals. Decent benefits. Clean floors, heated spaces and nice cubicles to sit in all day.

ConsAfter you agree to work at EN, they hand you the employee handbook which states that if you are reprimanded, quit or fired within a quarter year, you forfeit ALL of you accrued overtime. That is, you only get paid your overtime hours on a quarterly basis at STRAIGHT TIME PAY and they call it a "bonus". So its like an impending threat from the day you start. I resigned from my position and got nothing for the 20 some hours I worked late and worked on weekends. What a rip-off!! What a joke! I earned that money and its mine!!!! So after I professionally resigned from my position with no hard feelings, EN took over $800 out of my last paycheck and put the money into an FSA and Dependent Care fund. Normally these deductions are about $50 per paycheck. If I don't use the money I lose it. That money in those accounts go back to EN. So do the math, I no longer work there and suddenly they take over $800 and put it into those account. Sounds pretty shady!!! Even after HR was so nice and understanding how can they turn around and screw with me like that. Very disappointed about how they handled the whole situation. Also, there are no raises and no reviews. They just dump work on you and expect it to be done yesterday while all the "Senior Designer" leave promptly at 4:30 Mon-Thur. a 12:00 noon sharp on Fridays. "Senior Designers" or as I call them "The 4' o'clock shadow" are for some reason never required or asked to work late or come in on weekends. I personally worked back to back weekends along side other workers that were titled "Drafters". Totally wrong, totally backwards!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and change your business model. Remove the highly controversial OT forfeiture policy. See which employees are actually contributing and which ones are just there to collect a paycheck and never step up to the plate.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Growing oil & gas pipeline engineering design consulting firm with some growing pains.

ProsHALF DAY FRIDAYS
    Can Not Be Fired
    Flexible Hours
    Decent PTO
    Laid Back

ConsPay is Below Industry Standard
    Management is too Conservative
    Trying to grow at a quick pace, but this causes issues
    Younger employees are thrust into bad situations

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining employees to do their job and cross train to do others jobs
    No management training for soon to be managers
    Don't just hire to add warm bodies

So bad I had to quit even though I have no job prospects in this hostile employment market.

Engineer (Former Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsNice views from windows on West side of building, they are pretty flexible about hours, and the HR department makes a good effort to occasionally create entertaining diversions.

ConsAt the Warrenville office, the majority of electrical engineers appear to have backgrounds in the nuclear power and nuclear security industries, yet EN Engineering does mostly pipeline work - go figure. Maybe they would be competent at designing nuclear pipelines! ;)
    I had to leave because I could not in good conscience lower my professional standards down to their level. Other offices also seemed to lack adequate subject matter expertise.
    The organizational structure is a nightmare; you may work for several different project managers simultaneously, each with conflicting priorities, widely varying ethical and quality standards, and with internecine conflicts between project managers.
    Like the biblical argument "no one can serve two masters" (try three or four!)

Advice to Senior ManagementThey could start by reading the engineering practice laws in the states where they practice engineering. I also noticed a pattern of employees who I would terminate were I in management being the first to be promoted, so either there is a complete disconnect between upper management and reality or management actively seeks out certain pathologies.

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYoung culture and friendly environment
    Interns get to see different areas on project processes

ConsWork can be tedious and tiresome at times

challenging and dynamic

Prosgreat people and dynamic enviorment

Consneeds to improve resource sharing between departments

Worked for EN Engineering? Contribute to the Community!