ENSCO, Inc.
www.ensco.com Falls Church, VA 500 to 999 Employees

ENSCO, Inc. Reviews in Springfield, VA

ENSCO, Inc. – US – “work environment quality”

ENSCO, Inc. President & CEO Greg Young

Greg Young

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work but had to choose my career development over the company.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at ENSCO, Inc.

ProsThe work life balance can't be beat and Springfield office is a great location to work. The hours and dress code are both very flexible.

There are a lot of company sponsored events to treat the employees.

The people are generally friendly and pleasant to work with. The managers don't micro-manage and treat all employees as professionals.

The work they do can generally be categorized as "Government R&D" so it's important and interesting.

The 401K matching is above average.

ConsThere's a definite lack of career growth potential. In the time I was there (greater than 1 year) my division didn't grow at all so the only way to move up the chain is if the person above you quits. In the end I had to leave in order to advance my career.

Software engineering best practices are non-existent. Management leaves the development up to the engineers and as a general rule coders just want to code, not research, document and test so that's what they do. Things that should be documented aren't, processes that should be automated are done manually and code that should have repeatable tests is poked with a stick and shoved out the door.

The health benefits are crazy expensive. For the past few years 100% of the premium increases have been passed on to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the current bonus policy and replace it with something that actually incentivizes hard work. Don't penalize groups that have spectacular years with nothing because the company had a down year.

Learn a structured way to develop software; just because you do R&D doesn't absolve you from having good practices and standards.

Find cheaper health insurance.

Disorganized, unfocused, not learning from previous mistakes.

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at ENSCO, Inc. full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCan-do attitude. Smart coworkers. Great variety of tasks. Very professional team. Good ultimate purpose.

ConsTechnology and techniques used are often outdated. Long overtime hours, unpaid, because projects are consistently under-budgeted. Employees are stressed out and tired, and it shows in their lack of keeping up-to-date with new tools and engineering fields, lack of initiative, and poor documentation. Hard work and performance are seldom rewarded, but seniority is. Little opportunities to grow/ expand career-wise. To get ahead, you have to show "visibility", nevermind the hard work you put in that was not noticed by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFew demands fall on management, while much is expected from the engineers. Treating employees fairly and instead of only accounting for seniority, hierarchy and previous exposure to systems will go a long way. Choose you battles better and prioritize: Ensco is just surviving right now, it will need true long-term vision to reach the next level.

Smaller gov't contractor with some interesting things going for them.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Springfield, VA

I have been working at ENSCO, Inc.

ProsInteresting projects, flexible culture. Decent benefits and flexible with schedules.

ConsSome times overworked. Feels like a lack of leadership from the top. Different divisions feel like completely separate companies.

Advice to Senior Managementna

Worked for ENSCO, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ENSCO, Inc. reviews and ratings in Springfield, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ENSCO, Inc. CEO Greg Young . All reviews posted anonymously by ENSCO, Inc. employees.