EOG

Mark G. Papa

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Engineer I in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at EOG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture and atmosphere, value work/life balance, awesome training program. Bright future for the company

Cons

Location not in houston, but that's the culture of EOG, trying to stay de-localized

Keep up the good work!

IT Intern

Former Employee - IT Summer Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Summer Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at EOG as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great hands on learning. Was able to go out to an oil rig to see the process of how to drill for oil. Also went to a fracing site. EOG treats each employee with respect no matter which level of the organization. Definitely an awesome place to work with talented people working there. EOG also paid for all interns around the nation to attend a conference in Denver that was put on especially for the interns. AWESOME EXPERIENCE.

Cons

Sometimes the tasks were minute, but the end project definitely made up for it. Not many cons about interning at EOG.

Really liked the way you interacted with your interns. Didn't feel demeaning and loved the work I did. Great job.

Operations

Current Employee - Process Operator in Chippewa Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Chippewa Falls, WI

I have been working at EOG full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, no travel required, good work schedule.

Cons

High maintenance operation requires down time often.

Good company, mid level management does not have big picture

I have been working at EOG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good package. Nice office space.

Cons

IT seems like a different arm of the company that is so insular to the rest of the company. Does not promote internally and I felt like I was working for monarchy. Communication seems to be lacking at multiple levels.

Career progress needs to be managed better.

An okay company that could do so much better

Current Employee - A/P in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - A/P in Houston, TX

I have been working at EOG full-time

Pros

Very good benefits, with plenty of time off.

Cons

Core management are holdovers from the Enron days. If you work for one, and they are not happy with something, you will not get a chance to either move up or laterally. Do not take a position here unless that is what you really want to be doing, as your chances to move are about nil. This is especially so in the A/P department.

When you have a good employee who shows an interest in another position, and has the aptitude for it, a good company with give them a chance...a poor one will not.

Great Company but Needs Much Improvement !!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at EOG full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits - 3 weeks vacation on the first day of work, personal days, 6 weeks of sick time, and flexible schedule

Cons

Tends to hire outside more than promoting inside. Company seems to stress hiring friends and family instead of looking at the abilities of its current employees. If you get hired, make sure you are working in your preferred position.

Not everybody is happy working in their current positions. Don't automatically assume we are happy just because we have a job working for this company. This is a great company, one to retire from, but hire inside first. If there is no luck, then look outside.

High exposure, loosely organized

Current Employee - Engineer II in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at EOG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Little higherarchy, lots of responsibility and opportunity. If you work for the right person/department, it can be a great place to work and learn. Mostly a casual atmosphere, and there is always a get it done mentality. In the right groups or departments that are properly staffed and have good management attitude, it can be a great place to work.

Cons

It's loosely organized which can be a positive or can be a negative when things get out of hand. There can be frustration in lack of guidance and direction. For some departments with the right people and leaders it works well, where others do more poorly. There can be a lot of snap judgements and whiplash back and forth when some more planning and foresight overall could be beneficial. You can also get the whisper at the top turns to a shout at the bottom (rigid conveyance of orders/information) with some leaders, where others are good about adapting to situations. It all depends on who you work for, as I'm sure is true with most organizations.

The performance bonuses are all supposed to be customized to every individual, but after several years working here, it seems like most people are on a promotion/raise schedule. There isn't much feedback to be able to differentiate. It is hard to tell if you're really doing well and if the "you're doing a good/great job"s are significantly reflected in your compensation or not; I'm guessing long term they will be. From colleagues with the same experience I do, I would guess base salary is middle ground and bonuses are on the low side, especially considering the extensive vesting time (5 year cliff vest).

A lot of valuable people seem to be under-paid. Most groups know who the winners are, and they should be compensated accordingly. I don't get to see the pay, but it seems like the spread from the "A players" to the "C Players" is not that much after they are hired (I could be wrong). A get it done attitude with managers is positive on the surface but can also be a caustic characteristic. It has to be done with flexibility or it can bypass the best solutions to a problem. A get it done manager that doesn't give much feedback is a good sign things are poor. A get it done where you hear feedback from the troops on the ground is a good sign. The managers I have dealt with seem to distinctly fall into groups of flexible and inflexible. Adapting to feedback and isisting it is done right is hugely beneficial to being a good manager.

Amazing Internship

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at EOG as an intern

Pros

They have a very "family based" environment. The company understands what should come first in life. Managers treat you with respect even if you are a lower level employee.

Cons

They focus so much on rate of returns that old wells often die out and lose production. This is the only con I can come up with. Whatever their current business strategy is seems to be working!

Overall, not a bad place to work.

Former Employee - Land Tech in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Land Tech in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at EOG full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Full benefits package for full time employees, small office environment, friendly coworkers, casual dress code, encourages healthy lifestyles for employees, short work day on Friday.

Cons

Salaries not as competitive as at other companies for the amount of work expected, some departments encourage an overly competitive atmosphere which promotes the individual rather than encouraging team effort.

Make sure that all of department managers are encouraging their employees to be members of the team, rather than promoting an atmosphere that encourages employees to compete. Make sure salaries are competitive with other companies.

I love working here!

Current Employee - Accountant Clerk in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant Clerk in Houston, TX

I have been working at EOG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Decentralized. Good salary. Most managers there are good managers and know what they are doing. Managers usually have been at the company for a while, not just someone off the street.

Cons

A lot of employees have been here over 20 years and do absolutely nothing. A lot are lazy. A lot of the non degreed employees here are the lazy ones and complain everyday.

Get rid of the lazy employees!

EOG Photos