EPG

Be The First To
Add Photos

Randy Palmer

Great Potential Wasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful coworkers for the most part.

ConsToo many, unfortunately. The greatest being ego. Senior management fails to learn from their mistakes, too much finger pointing outside of themselves. Although they claim to value good work, they don't. This is the only job I ever had where I was admonished for being too thorough. Over the years, quality has diminished not due to the ability of the planners and support personnel, but due to a lack of foresight on the part of management. The ego of some of them is not only unreal, but not even close to realistic. Titles mean more to them than just getting the work done. Sad to see the company go in this direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange things up. Start with the top brass. Listen to those 'below' you. And for the love of all things holy, stop with the family hiring/promotion nonsense.

It's cute until you get fired...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWhen they wanted to, management was generous to employees through parties, teambuilding events, etc. We had up-to-date equipment and a nice office. For the most part, people were pretty nice.

ConsI have worked in alot of varied environments, and I have never worked for company that fired more people during my employment. With a staff of less than 100 people, I think 14 were fired over a three year period, one every few months, suddenly. At one point, three gay employees were fired consecutively within months of each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementFive Principles:
    Don't perpetuate unsavory racial stereotypes.
    Save decision making for those that can handle it.
    Homophobia eventually is worse for the homophobic.
    Just because someone is related to you does not mean that they are competent, trustworthy, fair or intelligent.
    If you want to own a successful business, be present and try to make people actually like you.

Applicants Beware

Director (Former Employee)

ProsMy staff were highly capable and very easy to work with and we could have been very successful if the market conditions would have been better.

ConsSenior Management not entirely forthright. Unreasonable billing rates. No marketing skills, senior management relies on their resumes from the Dames and Moore days. up-scaling scopes of work not appreciated by clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Worst Place I've Ever Worked

Manager (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe work is for the environment. That's all.

ConsOne of their principals is the worst boss I've ever had ... with a penchant of chewing individuals out in front of a large group. The upper managers are primadonnas. Workload leveling is non-existent. Just to give you an idea if how they operate: we didn't have AC in the building until 2011.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around. Notice the talent that's left. It's not because they're not "EPG people." The economy's improved ... employees won't stick around if they're not treated with respect.

Really didn't pan out as I hoped

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the employees there were really great and good to work with and for!

ConsNo opportunity for growth. It seemed as though, once they got you, you were fairly stuck with what you were hired to do. Fine for some, but not what I wanted as a professional.

Direct managers could not, or would not, manage. They didn't want to "babysit," so problems arose with the lower employees and were never resolved and continued to be a problem and are likely still a problem.

No feedback from management unless there was a problem. And rather then going to the person making/causing/having the problem, it was brought up to all in the group. It made the rest of use feel as though we were stupid.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet you middle management some training! Or get them out of their positions! Remember, it's the peons who are actually doing the work and bringing in your profit. The management rides on their works without contributing much, if anything.

Employees are disposable, management systems poorly planned, managers not trained to be managers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsBenefits were adequate. Flexibility of hours.

ConsPaternal, mechanistic view of people and corporate system. They place no value on people, emphasize bringing in work constantly, but give no time to do it. Impossible situation. Review systems are inadequate and disorganized. Bids are all overpriced because they cannot manage properly and cannot see how to be efficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementUT Principals: Understand the value and ideas that employees bring to the table. Trust your employees. Be flexible. Learn a thing or two about management. Strive to be a better company, not just a better product; it will make your company better. Or just keep doing what you are doing and create a worse reputation for yourself. And it does get worse every day.

I arrived energized with a can-do attitude, but departed with my hands tied.

(Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsBenefits package is good
    Salaries are competitive
    Paid time off
    The company has a lot of potential

ConsImportant information was communicated primarily through staff chatter. Upper management comprises several principals/industry professionals who have not sought to improve their skills as managers–no management classes, seminars, or professional enhancement/education were offered or recommended to middle managers either. Office staff members were inconsiderate about conversations and laughter in and around cubicles and in the halls and there were many interruptions, which made working after hours, at home, or on the weekends necessary. Deadlines were not enforced, thus arbitrary. Budgets were only disclosed to support staff when exceeded.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport and respect the efforts of the professionals you hired. Proactively seek to improve your leadership skills. Study current people- and business-managing philosophies through books, classes, and management seminars. Encourage and enforce a more professional office culture.

Fair Warning to Applicants considering this Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThere are plenty of good people here, including some managers. They are good at what they do and ethical, so they are in the same boat as me (see below). The work we get is interesting and has been coming in pretty solid, so we have enough to do. It is less corporate than my last company.

ConsThis company has several other locations, and I can only speak to the Phoenix office (headquarters) where I am currently employed, though I hear that the problems we have in Phoenix apply throughout the company. There is an exodus underway at this office, which will result in openings, so this is fair warning for the highly-skilled professionals who may be doing their research rather than taking their interview at face value, as I did. This office is what is known in the HR industry as 'toxic', meaning that none of the normal, logical rules apply to the way they do business and treat their employees. I am not taking my experience there as representative, I am taking mine and about 85% of the 60-person office that I've spoken to personally about this into account in this 'review'. We all need the job we have desperately and otherwise would obviously have left already but you know it is bad when everyone at the office is talking about it, and I don't mean normal griping, I mean significant depression, teeth grinding, tears (not us guys, just the girls), etc. I am seriously considering going back to my previous company if they'll have me. Since there are only so many general comments and specific examples you can make here without giving your identity away, I'll start by saying that if you are considering (due to the economy/lack of other options like the rest of us) applying or taking a position with this company, first do yourself a big favor and get the names/#s/personal emails of several low-mid level staff at EPG who have worked there for at least a year (hard to find them with the turnover rate--I have been there over 3 years) and ask them about what it is like to come to work day to day and whatever other questions you have (rating categories above a good place to start). The state of this company is such that even with job prospects being slim, the vast majority of staff here who haven't been 'laid off' (the company is highly profitable and doesn't make an effort to communicate problems its management has with staff) or quit to wait tables instead (making better money) have pending applications with other companies. This is truly a case of anywhere else would be better. A number of promises are made (not in writing of course) to get you to come on board, and then the total dysfunction of the management (principals, and therefore, managers that stay on) trickles down to the staff's constant frustration and anger at doing their jobs excellently with no recognition, sub-standard salaries and power plays/drama between the few people in the office that find temporary favor with the owners (who, by the way, work in the Phoenix office--in theory, this could be a good thing, except that they smoke in the office during business hours and are so personally notorious to work for that recently a recruiter for the company said that people he attempted to recruit in OTHER STATES said they would not work for this company due to its terrible reputation in the consulting field). Even if they don't lowball your offer (and that will be your salary for the next couple of years), it is not worth the risk to work here. The staff and managers making the higher salaries here are miserable and waiting for offers to get out because of the non-compensation issues, and their having given up on a future with EPG makes them fairly impossible to work with/for since they are 'dropping the ball' and not motivated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStandardize communication between the main office and the other offices, especially with the cultural and biology offices who need to be given budget.

Worked for EPG? Contribute to the Community!