EPG Reviews

Okay...But not great

Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at EPG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the employees are great people and really care about their roes and their co-workers. Insurance benefits were pretty good for a small business. Other benefits were comperable.

Cons

There were two major challenges working here. Little to no room at all for advancement and the principals were very difficult to work for. Many good employees left because they just got tired on the nonsense. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. One principal might tell you to do one thing, and then another may tell you to do another. If you can "go with the flow" it's not too difficult. I won't get into the ethics of the principals, but I'm happy I've moved on.

Advice to Management

Transparency is key. Telling your employees one thing in regards to the business, when they see otherwise, isn't a good way to retain quality employees.

2. Completely incompetent at the highest levels. Suprised they are still in business.

I worked at EPG

Pros

Honestly I cant think of any Pros other than it was a job for three years. Im just glad I'm longer working there.

Cons

No training. No sense of team everyone out for themselves. No leadership. No advancement opportunities. No diversity.

Advice to Management

Ignorance and arrogance are a dangerous combination. Good luck you'll need it.

3. I worked at EPG

Pros

The management did train you well. And they had direct deposit.

Cons

All of the leads are old, and when I say old I mean...when you call a lead and the gate-keeper says " What? that person has been dead for the last ten years! " then hangs up on you. Also they keep giving you the same exact leads day after day!! It seemed that employees were rewarded for lying to the business owners. Really unethical practices!! DON'T use your real name if you want to ever be in sales in the future, I would cringe thinking what it would be like for the outside sales person when they walked into an appointment.

Advice to Management

Be on the up and up!! The outside sales people will stand a better chance!

Executive Sales Agent

I worked at EPG

Pros

None. The entire company is a fraud and run by crooks

Cons

The so-called management or owners act like idiots

Advice to Management

Just a question of time before someone figures out a way to stop you

It's cute until you get fired...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at EPG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When they wanted to, management was generous to employees through parties, teambuilding events, etc. We had up-to-date equipment and a nice office. For the most part, people were pretty nice.

Cons

I have worked in alot of varied environments, and I have never worked for company that fired more people during my employment. With a staff of less than 100 people, I think 14 were fired over a three year period, one every few months, suddenly. At one point, three gay employees were fired consecutively within months of each other.

Advice to Management

Five Principles:
    Don't perpetuate unsavory racial stereotypes.
    Save decision making for those that can handle it.
    Homophobia eventually is worse for the homophobic.
    Just because someone is related to you does not mean that they are competent, trustworthy, fair or intelligent.
    If you want to own a successful business, be present and try to make people actually like you.

Applicants Beware

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at EPG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My staff were highly capable and very easy to work with and we could have been very successful if the market conditions would have been better.

Cons

Senior Management not entirely forthright. Unreasonable billing rates. No marketing skills, senior management relies on their resumes from the Dames and Moore days. up-scaling scopes of work not appreciated by clients.

Advice to Management

Retire.

Great Potential Wasted

I worked at EPG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers for the most part.

Cons

Too many, unfortunately. The greatest being ego. Senior management fails to learn from their mistakes, too much finger pointing outside of themselves. Although they claim to value good work, they don't. This is the only job I ever had where I was admonished for being too thorough. Over the years, quality has diminished not due to the ability of the planners and support personnel, but due to a lack of foresight on the part of management. The ego of some of them is not only unreal, but not even close to realistic. Titles mean more to them than just getting the work done. Sad to see the company go in this direction.

Advice to Management

Change things up. Start with the top brass. Listen to those 'below' you. And for the love of all things holy, stop with the family hiring/promotion nonsense.

The Worst Place I've Ever Worked

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at EPG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is for the environment. That's all.

Cons

One of their principals is the worst boss I've ever had ... with a penchant of chewing individuals out in front of a large group. The upper managers are primadonnas. Workload leveling is non-existent. Just to give you an idea if how they operate: we didn't have AC in the building until 2011.

Advice to Management

Look around. Notice the talent that's left. It's not because they're not "EPG people." The economy's improved ... employees won't stick around if they're not treated with respect.

Really didn't pan out as I hoped

I worked at EPG full-time

Pros

Some of the employees there were really great and good to work with and for!

Cons

No opportunity for growth. It seemed as though, once they got you, you were fairly stuck with what you were hired to do. Fine for some, but not what I wanted as a professional.

Direct managers could not, or would not, manage. They didn't want to "babysit," so problems arose with the lower employees and were never resolved and continued to be a problem and are likely still a problem.

No feedback from management unless there was a problem. And rather then going to the person making/causing/having the problem, it was brought up to all in the group. It made the rest of use feel as though we were stupid.

Advice to Management

Get you middle management some training! Or get them out of their positions! Remember, it's the peons who are actually doing the work and bringing in your profit. The management rides on their works without contributing much, if anything.

Employees are disposable, management systems poorly planned, managers not trained to be managers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at EPG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were adequate. Flexibility of hours.

Cons

Paternal, mechanistic view of people and corporate system. They place no value on people, emphasize bringing in work constantly, but give no time to do it. Impossible situation. Review systems are inadequate and disorganized. Bids are all overpriced because they cannot manage properly and cannot see how to be efficient.

Advice to Management

UT Principals: Understand the value and ideas that employees bring to the table. Trust your employees. Be flexible. Learn a thing or two about management. Strive to be a better company, not just a better product; it will make your company better. Or just keep doing what you are doing and create a worse reputation for yourself. And it does get worse every day.