EPIQ Systems

Be The First To
Add Photos

EPIQ Systems Chairman and CEO Tom W. Olofson

Tom W. Olofson

Pros
  • If you are technical entry-level, or experienced but incompetent, this might be the place for you, but be ready for some stiff competition (in 3 reviews)

• Good people who you can learn from who are ready to help each other (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Complete disregard for family or work-life balance by IT leadership with expectation that Epiq be the sole priority (in 8 reviews)

• No work-life balance considerations (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good pay, good coworkers

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsThey pay well and reward good performance. The employees are well-picked, with no grating personal hang-ups, just sane, adult people. They provide good quality equipment. They offer excellent technical training, paying for tech conference attendance, Plural Sight accounts, and annually, a known technologist is brought in for around a week of training.

ConsThe processes cause frustration and churn. Upper management's decisions are inscrutable. Architectural guidance in application development is lacking.

Very satisfying job. Learned and contributed a lot.

Lead Software Engineer (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsSuper people to work with. Problem solvers, not finger pointers. People are easy to approach and willing to help if you need it.

ConsPriority shifting can cause slow down in development and assistance. If your working on a certain issue, then get pulled off in the middle of it, it takes a while to get ramped back up once you get back to it. It has become more "corporate" in the time that I spent there.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't have "secret" projects. people outside the project, or those that were on the previous project have good insight on development and maintenance of that product that can help in the long run.

Used to have potential

ProsEpiq had good people working in the company that were making a difference. There are only a few left

Decent pay and benefits but just not worth it

ConsEpiq does not value its employees. Management consider employees to be disposable and does not value their contribution. This is probably the reason why they never invest in people.

Executives flies in their private jets and regularly spends thousands on meals (no, it's not for the entire department) but the workforce pays the price when the profit suffers.

Management don't even understand the business or processes but pretends to be interested and constantly provide misinformation to clients

Most people feel like the company is sinking and the rest are afraid to lose their jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore you speak, ask yourself three questions -

Is it true?
    Is it necessary?
    Is it kind?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They value the wrong things

Lead, Litigation Support (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSalaries tend to be good, especially at the upper levels. Benefits, including 401K matching money, are pretty good. Vesting is only 3 years.

ConsUpper management needs to get its head out of its collective rear and take a good look at what's happening. The CEO needs to retire and let better people make the decisions. The company has a history of staffing up and then going into panic mode if the revenue numbers don't hit some artificiality high target the CEO picked. Then they start slashing budgets and laying off essential core people, leaving the top heavy, pricey management levels with few people who can actually do the work.

The atmosphere is very clique - ish and it is all about who likes you and not what you actually contribute to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe next time you have a layoff, get rid of the do - nothing senior managers and keep the people who are working their hearts out for you.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Serious communication issues. High employee turnover.

Contact Center Lead (Former Employee) Beaverton, OR

ProsFree TriMet passes. Free coffee and tea. Good pay for entry-level work.

ConsThe contact center is a dehumanizing experience. Agents are monitored at all times and are expected to follow guidelines that change by the hour, and then are often put on the spot or singled out in passive aggressive emails that go to everyone when they fail to follow the current time of day's new byzantine directive.

They tell new hires on day zero in the first few minutes of training that they are essentially disposable people that will almost certainly be churned, and to not try to take any initiative because management knows better. It becomes very apparent very quickly that management does not know better.

And you almost certainly will be churned, no doubt about it. They hire dozens of people for cases to take thousands of calls, and then cut them loose when the call volume dies. The only people who stick around after lay offs are the ones on friendly terms with management outside of work.

The information chain for cases is broken from the top down, and the entry level people pay the price for the mistakes made above their pay grade. Agents get vaguely written scripted lines to read to callers who most often wont understand fully unless they are paraphrased, which management tells you to avoid doing. Leads get to sift through their calls and explain to agents which email they didn't read correctly in the sea of ever-changing rule communique, and then grade them on it.

The time off policy is misleading. Management says the only time off that will ever count against you is time that you don't schedule ahead of time. People get sick, that's a life certainty. However, all the agents I've interacted with who did it by the book and requested future time off at regular intervals didn't last very long- even ones that had 'perfect' attendance in policy terms, and never called out sick ad-hoc.

Terrible company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was initially as enthusiastic as they seemed to be.

ConsThey have a 90-day probation period. Didn't give me any work, then canned me for low performance. My director wouldn't respond for my last 4 weeks there--dead silence.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire contractors. Don't scam perm workers.

Worked there for 5 years

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsReally enjoyed the people I worked with. We liked to work hard and play hard too. People were smart, helpful, and friendly.

My company was acquired by Epiq and for the most part we were given autonomy and left alone.

ConsThere were some growing pains during and after the acquisition.
    Slowly, one by one, the people that I loved started leaving. Eventually I left too because the environment just wasn't the same.
    It started getting too political. Decisions were made based on how it would make someone look to their superiors vs what is better for the company.
    They moved all development to Kansas City and the few developers who are left in NYC stayed out of convenience.
    Years of profit and no increase in stock price. Is upper management doing something shady to keep the price flat for years?

Advice to Senior ManagementHire and keep good people. They're your strongest asset. Watch out for ladder climbers.

Good group of people

Client Facing IT (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsFun people
    Great Office
    compensates team well for working hard. Great team that enjoys spending time together. Very smart people work for this company.

ConsDemanding work environment that expects a lot from their employees. Lots of off-hours and weekend work required to be successful.

Most talented group in KC

ProsBetter than the best!!! I worked at some of the larger employers in KC and finally found my home at Epiq Systems. I am surrounded by top talent that is on the cutting edge of technology. I am encouraged to contribute, but I also am learning and being pushed to delve deeper into my own experience. The management team is very supportive and encouraging by offering training, conferences, and extra memberships that other companies would not even entertain. I work from home at least once a week and if I am a part of a new release, then I typically am able to work from home the next day....yet another benefit of working here!!!

ConsThe company is growing so quickly that the new space is at capacity. Senior leadership is alleviating that issue. Surrounded by extremely smart people can be intimidating for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to foster a collaborative and entrepreneurial atmosphere....it is attracting only the best!

Sink or Swim

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Beaverton, OR

ProsThere is a lot to learn with this company and that can be useful on a long term career path. In general the people you work with make your time worthwhile.

ConsThere is no work-life balance, pay is under market, crises abound and upper management extols that they would like to promote from the inside, but never follow through.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne on one personal growth meetings would be great, remove salaries for Project Coordinators and focus more on growing the Project Managers from within than hiring outside.

Worked for EPIQ Systems? Contribute to the Community!