ERICO

Updated Jan 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

William Roj

Awesome company with a clear, articulated strategy and a bright future

I have been working at ERICO full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat culture (sounds trite, but it’s true)
Amazing co-workers, the majority of people bleed “ERICO blue”
There is an actual strategic plan for growth – and management willingly and openly shares that with every employee to make sure they understand it
The Executive Management Team is first-rate, with a number of high-caliber individuals
The current ERICO is much less political than the ERICO of old
Numerous career paths available, including international postings
Our new president – Dan Mominee
Weathered the “Great Recession” without resorting to layoffs, paid year-end bonuses every year to salaried and hourly employees, and continued to make investments that will allow us to grow as the economy improves

ConsVery lean in some areas, need to add some staff
Benefits used to be a LOT better
401k match isn’t competitive
We lack a barista on site

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to share our strategy for the future with all of the employees, that transparency and the fact that we actually have a plan goes a long way to allay employee fears in an uncertain economy.

The definition of dog and pony show

Engineer (Former Employee)
Solon, OH

I worked at ERICO full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only good thing I can say about Erico is it is very easy to move to different roles. This is nice if you are just starting out and you are not exactly sure what you want to do with your career, but once you do find what you want to do, get out!!!! You will learn more, get paid more and treated better at other companies.

ConsThe main problem with Erico in a few words, “dog and pony show.”Middle management is so intensely focused on making is appear that great improvements are being made to Erico’s manufacturing processes that they make no effort to even pretend that’s not exactly what we were doing. On numerous occasions I was told to “put on a show” when upper management came to tour the plant. Upper management is so hopelessly lost when they do tour the plant they we could convince them that painting some lines on the floor and hanging some signs would suddenly increase efficiency and save hundreds of thousands of dollars. The next time they would come, the lines and signs would be gone and we would have a new flimsy sales pitch that they would gobble up. Management does not have the attention span to make any real difference in Ericos manufacturing. It is much easier to just pretend. The other problem with Erico is people leave and they leave often. The company is slow to replaces them and rarely ever hires any with much experience. It’s hard to learn and find a good mentor if you been with the company for just a few years and you are one of the more experienced employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, you just can’t fix stupid.

Mixed

I have been working at ERICO full-time

ProsOpportunities for growth, bonus and profit sharing

Consdecreasing benefits, too many managers

One of the better companies I've worked at

I have been working at ERICO full-time

ProsGreat culture
Flexible promotion paths available
Good Benefits package
Focused on retaining employees during the recession
Well engineered products

ConsUnderstaffed in some areas
Focus on engineering deprives resources from other departments
Management has iron grip on capital expenditure leaving middle management with little authority

Not a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ERICO

ProsStable Company even during tough economic times.

ConsLack of coaching and opportunities for advancement, poor managers, fierce and harmful politics

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove coaching and development of employees.

Looking for a new job.........

Technologist (Current Employee)
Solon, OH

I have been working at ERICO

ProsErico has a trend to hire new and young engineers.
Roj stepped down as CEO.
Erico moves its managers around every 2 years.

ConsErico will hire young engineer regardless of knowledge, experience or abilities, it seems they are hired base on the lowest salary they will take.
Bill Roj has place Steinhilberin as CEO, but he is still the owner and leader of the company.
Erico is missing a whole generations of support staff – they leave.
One word about thinking about working here – Don’t.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for some fresh new people.

ERICO has a long way to go to improve.....

Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at ERICO

ProsA local manufacturer (To NE Ohio). If you get a good boss, you should be fine...but if you get one of the crazy managers, then you are left wide open and used as a scape goat. I hear they are trying to get better people in the last 2 years, but still pay low.

ConsSee above for details on this section.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting Bill Roj run the company as an accountant. ERICO is not a piggy bank to be looted. Focus on good design and manufacturing, rather than accounting games to raise profits....get better people in the company at all levels and develop and support them.

It was once a good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ERICO

ProsStable company. Even in the bad economy Erico has continued to make money. Erico has been in business a long time. Casual dress code. Time off policy is OK. Medical coverage is OK.

ConsManagement does not care about it's employees. There is no job security; all employees are thought of as expendable. In the past few years they have let go people with over 20+ years to trim the top salaries. They have "pushed" several long-time employees into retiring. They no longer offer a pension. Raises are far and few and then only 2-3%. Sick time policy is the worst I've ever seen.

Worked for ERICO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ERICO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ERICO CEO William Roj. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by ERICO employees.